Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Survey: How can TSA opponents / dignity proponents do a better job?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: co-founder We Won't Fly

Hi

I'm George Donnelly of We Won't Fly and we're running a survey to collect ideas and priorities for an aggressive 6-month campaign in support of dignity and human rights in airports.

I'd like to invite you to participate. It's really quite short. You'd be helping shape what we work for at least the next 6 months. Thanks.

http://wewontfly.com/please-respond-...ld-we-be-doing
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

Focus on bringing TSA to heel, making them accountable for their repeated violations of the Constitution, reducing the gargantuan size and budget, eliminating SSI (no rule or law that the public must follow should ever be secret!), and getting SCOTUS to hear cases against scope and grope, strip searching, and other abuses.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
... eliminating SSI (no rule or law that the public must follow should ever be secret!) ...
This would go against the very foundation on which the TSA's culture's notion of "security" is based.

Bob himself said it best the other day.

We stay away from static security tactics. Layered security is common practice, providing the necessary unpredictable measure that makes it more difficult to do malice to the transportation infrastructure. If everything we did was always the same, it would provide a checklist for people to know exactly what to expect. While this would be extremely helpful for passengers, it would also be useful to those wishing to do us harm.
In the DHS world view, transparency is an abettor of terrorism. Its corollary is that the more that can be kept secret and unpredictable, the harder it will be for someone to attack.

How do you go about changing that fundamental culture of the agency?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by saulblum
In the DHS world view, transparency is an abettor of terrorism. Its corollary is that the more that can be kept secret and unpredictable, the harder it will be for someone to attack.

Perhaps --- and this is totally uninformed speculation on my part --- by exposing more of the agency to the opposite point of view, from inside the Beltway.

NSA used to assert that the best cryptography in the world was built by NSA cryptographers, and that no-one should use publicly-available cryptographic algorithms for classified information. Now, NSA regularly solicits and certifies public algorithms for encryption, and uses them itself for all types of classified material. They've learned that openness regarding encryption techniques leads to stronger encryption techniques for everyone, including NSA itself.

Changing the culture of the agency requires that the advocate for change be someone (or some organization) that the agency will respect enough to listen to. That respect can be voluntary (a good "friend") or involuntary (the "boss"). Neither is incredibly likely in the current climate ... but either could happen.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 6:19 am
Original Poster

WillCAD, I have no clue how to do any of that stuff except by calling them to task for something as basic and understandable as simple human dignity, a concept that not only pierced the media's veil of cynicism but was also so convincing that Pistole and others integrated it into their vocabularies.

Thanks for the comments, guys.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:12 am

George, I think you've mistaken the situation. The concepts of human dignity and Constitutional rights mean no more to the media than they do to TSA, and they certainly didn't pierce the media's "veil of cynicism." The media picked up on some of these stories solely because they were sensational and ratings-worthy. The more common the stories get, the less sensational they are, and the more the media will ignore them.

I think the only way these policies are going to change is the same way that the civil rights situation changed in the 1960s - through cases heard by the Supreme Court and subsequent laws passed by Congress to enforce the decisions. And the only way you're going to get to the Supreme Court is if you have massive civil rights organizations, with massive funding and legal resources, banding together to plow their way through the bureaucratic behemoth of the US legal system.

Until you can get the ACLU, NAACP, and a few other large, wealthy organizations to throw in whole-heartedly with us and see this thing through to SCOTUS, we're all going to be spitting in to the wind.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:29 am
Original Poster

ACLU, EPIC, CATO and other organizations are already working on this from a legal angle. It's a long, slow, frustrating slog.

I see we haven't pierced your veil of cynicism. ;D
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by cyklo
ACLU, EPIC, CATO and other organizations are already working on this from a legal angle. It's a long, slow, frustrating slog.

I see we haven't pierced your veil of cynicism. ;D
My cynicism isn't a veil, it's a burqa.

And although those organizations may be working on getting scope and grope before SCOTUS, they are A) Not devoting the full measure of their attention to it, and B) not working together but are working separately, as disparate units.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:39 am
Original Poster

I'm afraid you're mistaken once again. They are working together. I'm on the conference calls so I've witnessed it.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by saulblum
This would go against the very foundation on which the TSA's culture's notion of "security" is based.

Bob himself said it best the other day.

Hiring people with a better skill set and more integrity would be a start. They really need to clean up their cast of characters, and basic culture. They should be allowed to do their job without looking like idiots.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:41 am

I want to see discussions about the TSA _not_ include any of the following statements:

- In a post-9/11 world...
- It's a scary world...
- There are terrorists out there...
- You can never be too careful...
- We realize the need for security...

It seems that the majority of mainstream articles criticizing the TSA always start with some sort of praise for the "work" the TSA does in keeping us "safe" from terrorists, followed by constructive criticism about how children and the elderly can't possibly be terrorists. I want to see an article starting with:
The TSA is worthless. There, we said it. Not only do they provide zero security benefit, but they have made us less safe. Indirectly, the modal shift to driving to avoid the TSA has cost more lives than the September 11 attacks, and directly, TSA clerks have caused direct damage to aircraft that, if not caught before takeoff, could have resulted in crashes and cost lives. The only two things preventing a repeat of September 11 are hardened cockpit doors and policies to resist hijackers. Everything else is a waste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.