Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Automobile screening at the Galveston/Boliver Ferry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Took 3 of my grand kids down to Galveston last week and decided to take the ferry that goes over to Bolivar as you can drive on to the beach and the surf is generally more calm which helps with the little ones. I haven't done this since my own kids were little back in the 1980's and I noticed that they have really improved the ferry docks but compared to places like Seattle the boats are still small and they sure load up a lot slower so the wait time is pretty long. Oh well, the kids enjoyed it!

Anyway, the ferries are run by TXDOT so the TSA is not an issue here but I noticed that as you enter the final queuing area there is a guy who picks out cars and trucks randomly to go into an inspection line, he was sitting on a chair under a big beach umbrella. The inspection reminds me more of what they do at the border or some of those stops out in NM or AZ along the highway, they ask you to open the trunk and hood and walk around with a mirror on a stick to see underneath. Generally from what I saw the guys looked nice enough and most had bandanas hanging down from their hats to shade them a bit as it is pretty darn hot, all were very tan. I saw a sign in the inspection area that said "Please do not verbally abuse vehicle screeners as this may delay your departure" or something to that effect. With all of the drinking beach goers I am sure in the past they got their share of abuse.

And the plus side to being picked out for screening is that they let them on the ferry first once they have completed their screening.

Funny but I have not encountered this kind of random car screening on my few visits to the Puget Sound and ferry rides there although I have seen security people walking around the cars.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Were they in some sort of uniform?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gamecock
Were they in some sort of uniform?
Yes, the typical greyish DMV/state trooper color with a some kind of Texas patch on the elbow. Most wore ball caps or wide brimmed straw hats. They weren't armed, just lower level DMV employees I think.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:55 am

This stupidity was done at some high rises in SF after 9/11. I got turned away from parking under one of them because my trunk contained my hunting rifle, which is legal, as it was unloaded.

They check your trunk but you could have a hundred pounds of C4 hidden under your fenders and they'd never see it. This is a complete illusion of safety.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:02 am
Original Poster

It reminds me of the first airport screening right after 9/11 when airports set up screening areas just outside of the property on the entry roads. In Houston they had these little booths built on Will Clayton as you made your way to the airport and they did much the same thing, checking trunks and under the car. The booths are long gone now and only the concrete pad remains here.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:28 pm

It would be kind of fun to have a trunk full of water, hair gel, shaving cream, shampoo, toothpaste, and lasagne.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
It reminds me of the first airport screening right after 9/11 when airports set up screening areas just outside of the property on the entry roads. In Houston they had these little booths built on Will Clayton as you made your way to the airport and they did much the same thing, checking trunks and under the car. The booths are long gone now and only the concrete pad remains here.
LAX had them,MIA had them in order to park in the garages. ROC only did it when the stupid threat level went up. Gave the Sheriffs something to do at the airport instead of oogle women.

Last edited by United_727; Jun 22, 2012 at 11:10 am
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:09 am

I've seen and have photos of a TSA VIPR operation on this ferry last summer... vehicle inspections on the Galveston end, with inspectors and dog search teams on the vessel itself.

General consensus in talking to folks on the deck ranged from "What a joke" to "If we throw them overboard will we be fined for maritime littering?"...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.