Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

A Blog Post That Talks About the Private Room Screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

I haven't seen this posted:
http://thedanashow.wordpress.com/201...-with-the-tsa/

There's even a short video.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by average_passenger

So...if you get selected for super-special groping, can you stand your ground and insist that it will be done in public? I don't care if the TS"O"s are going to make me get naked--I want it done in public.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by mahohmei
So...if you get selected for super-special groping, can you stand your ground and insist that it will be done in public? I don't care if the TS"O"s are going to make me get naked--I want it done in public.
So long as you are calm and state that I really don't see employees of the federal government dragging you to a room to take off your clothes.

At worst you won't be allowed to fly.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Combat Medic
So long as you are calm and state that I really don't see employees of the federal government dragging you to a room to take off your clothes.

At worst you won't be allowed to fly.
I think the worst would be the TSA summoning LEOs and giving them a cock-and-bull story about the ETD and the passenger's refusal to submit.

I don't say it would necessarily be the case, but the cops could decide there really is a "threat" and take it from there .
Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I think the worst would be the TSA summoning LEOs and giving them a cock-and-bull story about the ETD and the passenger's refusal to submit.

I don't say it would necessarily be the case, but the cops could decide there really is a "threat" and take it from there .
"take it from there" meaning what? arrest you/frisk you? Based on a test yielding bad results 100% of the time? That would expose them personally and their department also to a lawsuit. I'd be surprised if airport police don't have a protocol in place exactly for this scenario.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by nachtnebel
"take it from there" meaning what? arrest you/frisk you? Based on a test yielding bad results 100% of the time? That would expose them personally and their department also to a lawsuit. I'd be surprised if airport police don't have a protocol in place exactly for this scenario.
Not necessarily arrest, just detain during an 'investigation'. IOW ruin your day; handcuffed and taken to the stationhouse, kept there for however long they like (within legal limits), run through the NCIC etc.

You could sue for unlawful arrest but not for detention. And if you are not charged, as is almost certain, no court would find in your favor.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by average_passenger

There's some discussion about the post in this thread.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York

And that's the winner. There's a fair number of stories throughout this forum about cops who have the attitude, "their checkpoint, their rules" and then wander off.

Mike
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:25 pm

Not necessarily arrest, just detain during an 'investigation'. IOW ruin your day; handcuffed and taken to the stationhouse, kept there for however long they like (within legal limits), run through the NCIC etc.

You could sue for unlawful arrest but not for detention. And if you are not charged, as is almost certain, no court would find in your favor.
An investigative detention has a limit. Normally they can only detain you for around 30 minutes or so before it is considered an arrest.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
An investigative detention has a limit. Normally they can only detain you for around 30 minutes or so before it is considered an arrest.
Does that include transportation time to/from the detention area? If it takes you 45 minutes to drive from the airport to the police station, saying they can "only" detain you for 30 minutes quickly turns into a 2-hour delay. (Which, of course, effectively means that you end up missing your flight.)
Old Jun 13, 2012, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Does that include transportation time to/from the detention area? If it takes you 45 minutes to drive from the airport to the police station, saying they can "only" detain you for 30 minutes quickly turns into a 2-hour delay. (Which, of course, effectively means that you end up missing your flight.)
I'm not sure if they are allowed to compel that you come with them in a detention.

"in order to Detain you. The officer has the authority to temporarily deny you the ability to leave while he investigates his suspicion. You may still refuse to answer any questions, but you have no right to leave. The officer must use a reasonable amount of time to investigate his suspicions until the detention elevates to the level of "probable cause" to arrest you. If the officer fails to determine there is probable cause for an Arrest, he must release you in a reasonable amount of time. The courts have determined that what is a reasonable amount of time is relative to the criminal activity being investigated. If you attempt to leave a detention without the permission of the police officer, you may be subject to Arrest. During a Detention, absent certain circumstances, a police officer may not move you to another location or the Detention becomes a de facto Arrest.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...#ixzz1xi4ilxRv
"
Old Jun 13, 2012, 4:13 pm

Most (all?) of these situations I've seen get traction have been from women who were violated by the grope. I wish more men would speak out publicly about it, and I wish this particular story would grow some legs.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fredd
There's some discussion about the post in this thread.
I'm sorry, I didn't see it until later and I usually try to read many of the threads (but not all). Please forgive me.

@thegolfwidow - I agree with you. You can see in the video that the guy isn't very happy and uncomfortable. Now imagine how he would feel if he found out later that the guy that searched him was a rapist or sex offender.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.