Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

What's With Checking IDs at Federal Court But Not Comparing to a List?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's With Checking IDs at Federal Court But Not Comparing to a List?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2012, 2:08 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
The TSA does not check passengers' names against any list; that is done at check-in by the airline. All the TSA does is verify() that the ID and BP match; decide for yourselves how that charade "enhances" security.
Well, the idea is to make sure that the name you gave the airline to compare against the list is actually your real name.

This is one thing that actually makes sense. If they didn't do it, anyone on the list could buy a ticket under a different name.

The accuracy of the list is a whole other issue.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Ari
I think it is just to get people used to a 'papers please' society. Perhaps I am too jaded.
More of a control mechanism I think.

Every kid in kindergarten learns that if someone has something of yours, you're in their power. Until they return it. Police (and lately hordes of other uniformed types) use the same trick; hand them your ID (DL, passport etc.) and you are now under their control and, unless you're willing to abandon it, you're also immobile.

Been that way for decades, first thing a cop will demand is ID. People don't know that in most stop-and-identify* states you are only required to identify yourself verbally. Of course if you do decline to show physical ID then you are immediately deemed guilty of Contempt of Cop, thereby guaranteeing things are going to go downhill real fast.

* not applicable to traffic stops although the same immobility occurs when the cop walks away with your DL
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
Well, the idea is to make sure that the name you gave the airline to compare against the list is actually your real name.

This is one thing that actually makes sense. If they didn't do it, anyone on the list could buy a ticket under a different name.

The accuracy of the list is a whole other issue.
Try again.

http://nathanbarry.com/no-fly-list/
Old Jun 14, 2012, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by saulblum
Yes, forging a boarding pass would get around this list. So what?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 5:06 pm

Yes, forging a boarding pass would get around this list. So what?
And defeat the entire alleged reason for the BP/ID check. That's what.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:04 pm

But who would forge the name on a boarding pass? Everyday traveling people wouldn't! Yet who are the majority of people inconvenienced and/or harassed by this practice?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:53 am

Yes, there is always a way around every measure.

There are people who can make convincingly genuine fake passports for a couple hundred dollars. Does that mean that CBP should no longer check passports? After all, this defeats the entire alleged reason for checking them.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 5:45 am

Didn't want to start a new thread, but why does the Pentagon now have a body scanner to scan people ENTERING the building, in response to a shooting, 2 years ago, that occurred outside the building?

http://wtop.com/120/2903898/New-body...rs-at-Pentagon
Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:12 am

Yes, there is always a way around every measure.

There are people who can make convincingly genuine fake passports for a couple hundred dollars. Does that mean that CBP should no longer check passports? After all, this defeats the entire alleged reason for checking them.
Producing a fake boarding pass is far, far simpler than producing a fake passport. An ordinary office computer with basic image editing tools can do the job; the marginal cost of producing such a boarding pass is trivial.

Spending a great deal of time at the checkpoint, with one (or more!) dedicated individuals checking a security measure that can be trivially circumvented, seems to many observers (including this one) to be a waste of money. One could take that money and use it in better ways (e.g. assigning the TDC to other screening duties in order to improve accuracy and/or speed).
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Producing a fake boarding pass is far, far simpler than producing a fake passport. An ordinary office computer with basic image editing tools can do the job; the marginal cost of producing such a boarding pass is trivial.

Spending a great deal of time at the checkpoint, with one (or more!) dedicated individuals checking a security measure that can be trivially circumvented, seems to many observers (including this one) to be a waste of money. One could take that money and use it in better ways (e.g. assigning the TDC to other screening duties in order to improve accuracy and/or speed).
^
Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:30 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Requiring ID at federal courthouses is not only pointless security theater, it's against the Constitution. The Sixth Amendment guarantees criminal defendants the right to a public trial. If someone is on trial for something politically incorrect or heretical, IMO many would-be spectators might fear official reprisals and might well be deterred from viewing the trial because of the ID requirement.

Robert John Foti challenged the courthouse ID requirement (1); and, in 2007, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals tossed the case without providing any significant explanation as to its reasoning. End of constitutional right.

It's also superfluous to require ID at courthouses and other federal buildings, because these places have cameras, and presently or Real Soon Now the cameras will be tied to some database and will be able to discern and log your identity.

To the credit of the U.S. Marshals Service, one time I forgot my Valid Government ID at a federal courthouse but was able to convince them of my identity by other methods. Thank you USMS for not always being mindless automatons.

(1) Foti v. McHugh (docket); (unpublished opinion)

Last edited by mbstone; Jun 17, 2012 at 4:01 am
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Reminds me of the pointless ID checks when entering NRT airport as well.
This is one thing I ask about every time, and none of my Japanese colleagues can give me an answer.

Ditto on the military ID checks, too. I don't want to go into too much detail about suspected security lapses I've noticed there, but unless they're scanning the ID, they'd never notice if my ID was expired. Heck, they'd probably never notice me entering with a DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.