Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Excessive swiping: common retaliation or just more ABQ stupidity?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Excessive swiping: common retaliation or just more ABQ stupidity?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
It's always good to remind them that the filter is only $200, from there it gets expensive.
Fortunately, it was only my 50mm f/1.8 that had the polarizer on it, so it was a few minutes of pure entertainment - like watching a raccoon try to wash the stickiness off of a marshmallow.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
At the inevitable bag check:

TSO: So, what kind of tools are these?

INK: Vibration analysis.

TSO: What kind of work do you do?

TSO: What does that involve?

INK: Analyzing vibration.

[Then comes the inevitable question that has a certain wrong answer. It must be in their training films. You know, the ones they did not sleep through.]

TSO: Oh, you mean like explosions? [Insert curious look here.]

INK: No, machines.

TSO: [Disappointed look]. Thank you.
Old May 31, 2012, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

[Then comes the inevitable question that has a certain wrong answer. It must be in their training films. You know, the ones they did not sleep through.]

Too funny.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:17 pm

so that's what flying has come to. being cross-examined by a Perry Mason with an IQ of 80.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:06 am

Location: ZRH - Zurich Switzerland. I like my local Airport. Wake-up at 0500uhr. Airside and through Security 80 minutes later after Shower, Breakfast and 10km Train ride. That is good!
Programs: Miles and More FQTV - 80% LX Swiss, 20% LH Lufthansa segments
Originally Posted by nachtnebel
so that's what flying has come to. being cross-examined by a Perry Mason with an IQ of 80.
I dropped my coffee laughing, I send you the bill from Switzerland, it's expensive I tell you!!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
80 is way to high!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by MAN-MAN
I dropped my coffee laughing, I send you the bill from Switzerland, it's expensive I tell you!!
Just don't ask me to pay in Francs! All I have is that counterfeit green stuff.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
Really?
First time poster here.

At EWR a couple of weeks ago, I got pulled aside at the checkpoint because I had "too many coins" in my bag. I cannot blame TSA for wanting to investigate the mass of metal they had detected, but a TSO proceeded to swab each of the coins. This was quite scary! What if TSA had detected traces of explosives on one or more of the coins? Coins pass through thousands and thousands of hands. I might very well have received the offending coins in change at a shop in EWR minutes earlier. Could I really have been detained based on such weak "evidence"? I fear so. The "evidence" would not hold up in court, but I don't think TSA is concerned with that. TSA has to make sure that I am not a terrorist, so I would certainly have been detained.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by Schmurrr
First time poster here.

..... What if TSA had detected traces of explosives on one or more of the coins? Coins pass through thousands and thousands of hands. I might very well have received the offending coins in change at a shop in EWR minutes earlier.
.......Could I really have been detained based on such weak "evidence"?
Not detained; but you'd have to leave that large pile of change in the coffee can by the TSA break room.

Welcome to FT!!!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:51 am

I then sit down in the floor next to the inspection table and read a paper or work on a crossword.
They let you 'touch' some of your stuff?

I've been fortunate so far in that the only 'full bag swiping' has been when the preliminary swiping had a false positive caused by a dirty machine. (When she wipes the machine after my positive, and it alarms - it's pretty obvious it's NOT me or my stuff causing the alarm!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.