Wiki Posts
Search

International Shoe Removal Inconsistency

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
I don't think it's the US insisting that Korea, and only Korea (and apparently Canada) make pax flying to the US take their shoes off. If that was the case, every country would be requiring it, and they aren't.

It's the same thing with water - HKG and a few other airports do not allow it, but NRT and many other airports do.

It seems like the local airport authority or government decides to institute these stupid policies on their own.

On another note, CMB requires shoe removal for everyone.
NRT's also had that analyzer for quite awhile to determine that liquids aren't a threat (not that they were to begin with, but that's for another thread).

I think whether or not it's enforced depends on the country. I think there are things that TSA demands requires in order to allow flights to enter US airspace. Shoe removal is at least on the "recommended" list.

If the US didn't care about it, then I don't think ICN would waste its time doing it. The fact that they're doing it only for US flagged/bound flights shows that there is definitely US influence there. It's not required for other countries.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:30 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Superguy
If the US didn't care about it, then I don't think ICN would waste its time doing it. The fact that they're doing it only for US flagged/bound flights shows that there is definitely US influence there. It's not required for other countries.
I'm not even reading that far into it. I think there is some buffoon in Korea that thinks in his own screwed up little world that this is necessary, even though the "requirements" sent over by the DHS only recommend it. Why would the DHS single out Korea and not everyone else?

Same with those in Hong Kong thinking that they need to ban all liquids from US and Australia bound flights, when most other countries are fine with stuff obtained in the sterile area. Just a bunch of idiots that think they may loose their kush government job if some guy tries to blow up a plane (even though the chances of that are slim to none).
Old May 30, 2012, 7:21 am

If it was just some clueless buffoon reading too much into suggestions, why would all of Canada participate at every single airport? I do think that you are underestimating the force and power of a country which can bully other countries into doing something. The ability to ban all flights from one country to the US is powerful, especially for countries such as Canada which have so many flights per day.

It's easy enough for some posters to tell other countries to stand up to the US, but it isn't that easy for a country to take that risk. The same holds true for having to provide information to the US government about passengers not even flying TO the US.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
The Canadian government has shown for a long time that they will do whatever the USA tells them to with regards to our "security" procedures. They are a lapdog in that respect. Korea seems to subscribe to this theater for some idiotic reason - as I have yet to encounter another country (except Canada) that imposes this stupidity on US-Bound flights.

Hundreds of other countries are standing up to the US and not requiring Shoe Removal... Now only if some of them would stop bowing down to jetbridge liquids checks, which I find even more annoying.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:03 pm

But in Canada due to pre-clearance it is easy to force shoe removal as it is an isolated area of the airport for US flights. It doesn't work that way elsewhere, hence much more difficult for the US to bully other countries into their games.

I refuse to make excuses for the bully, and to blame the victims of the bully. The US could change the rules, but choose not to.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:11 pm

Every other country other than the U.S. realizes how ridiculous it is to worry about bombs in shoes. The few that actually check are just fulfilling some B.S. agreement with the U.S.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Superguy
I think there are things that TSA demands requires in order to allow flights to enter US airspace. Shoe removal is at least on the "recommended" list.

Do the TSA control US airspace now? NORAD, USAF & co move over, the pros have arrived!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:33 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Just before we boarded our DEL-EWR flight in January there was quite a last-minute ritual at the boarding gate that I inferred occurred because it was a US-bound flight. Shoes off, everything out of pockets (IIRC) and the most thorough search we'd experienced during our time in India, where searches occur before boarding the rapid transit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.