Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA breaks insulin pump

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
The pax said it was an insulin pump, but unless the screener rubbed and jabbed it hard enough, she couldn't be sure it was an insulin pump and not a bomb.

Maybe she thought the pax had marijuana or >$10K cash or a suspicious book stashed under the pump. That's what they told her at the 'academy'.
For those not familiar with insulin pumps I will include a picture with examples of the common insulin pump styles.

Image borrowed from: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/84/fc/68/8...sulin-pump.jpg

The traditional insulin pump is represented in the left frame and the pod style pump in the right frame.

I think anyone who has ever been subjected to a so-called TSA Pat Down can see how the hands sliding firmly down the body technique that TSA uses could easily dislodge either unit although the infusion set used with the traditional pump is much more body conforming.

The POD type is an apply once and done for a few days of insulin. I don't believe it can be removed and reapplied. Cost can range from about $30 and up per pod (does not include controller) depending on sourcing. The mechanism needed to inject the insulin, and insulin reservoir, is built into the pod with no tubing connected to the controller as seen in the traditional pump.

The benefit of any pump system for a diabetic is eliminating multiple traditional injections of insulin each day plus in most cases much better control of the individuals Blood Glucose.

If a TSA screener is advised that a person is using an insulin pump then extra care should be taken in the area where the pump injection point is located.. Sadly that is asking far to much from the TSA screeners we see in our airports. As TSA has stated screeners have cognitive limitations that doesn't permit the exercise personal judgement in such matters.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It's simpler than that, Boggie Dog.

The TSA screener, like all screeners, has the final say on how the pax will be groped and how 'sensitive areas' will be targeted for particularly rigorous handling.

The pax should count herself lucky the TSO didn't simply confiscate the insulin pump, because as always, the screener has the final say on what is allowed.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's simpler than that, Boggie Dog.

The TSA screener, like all screeners, has the final say on how the pax will be groped and how 'sensitive areas' will be targeted for particularly rigorous handling.

The pax should count herself lucky the TSO didn't simply confiscate the insulin pump, because as always, the screener has the final say on what is allowed.
No, it is even simpler than what you state, utter incompetence on the part of TSA!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:40 am

I disagree. It is not incompetence.

That screener was not operating alone. She has had two weeks 'academy' training within the last year. If she's a new employee, she's had weeks of OJT before being turned loose to make up her own rules. If she's an old-timer, she had her initial training, her experience, and her 'refresher' two-week vacay at the 'academy'.

She is surrounded by other TSOs, LTSOs and STSOs, all highly-trained graduates of the 'academy'. If she did anything unacceptable, one or more of these eagle-eyed co-workers would have been quick to point it out, particularly one of the LTSOs or STSOs who are responsible for what goes on at their checkpoint.

If the screener truly was incompetent, it would mean that two weeks of intense training at the 'academy', weeks of OJT, and a crowd of always focused and alert TSOs, LTSOs and STSOs all failed to notice anything.

I believe she actually followed her training: if the pax declares a 'sensitive area', assume the pax is a liar and a te**orist and double down on the 'sensitive spot'.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I disagree. It is not incompetence.

That screener was not operating alone. She has had two weeks 'academy' training within the last year. If she's a new employee, she's had weeks of OJT before being turned loose to make up her own rules. If she's an old-timer, she had her initial training, her experience, and her 'refresher' two-week vacay at the 'academy'.

She is surrounded by other TSOs, LTSOs and STSOs, all highly-trained graduates of the 'academy'. If she did anything unacceptable, one or more of these eagle-eyed co-workers would have been quick to point it out, particularly one of the LTSOs or STSOs who are responsible for what goes on at their checkpoint.

If the screener truly was incompetent, it would mean that two weeks of intense training at the 'academy', weeks of OJT, and a crowd of always focused and alert TSOs, LTSOs and STSOs all failed to notice anything.

I believe she actually followed her training: if the pax declares a 'sensitive area', assume the pax is a liar and a te**orist and double down on the 'sensitive spot'.
I believe that TSA supervision is completely lacking. Screeners are acting on their on, not using the training that has been provided, and making it up as they go in many cases.

Watching TSA operate is akin to watching very young children in their first group play session.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:00 pm

If TSA doesn't respond, we will know that damaging or destroying insulin pumps is acceptable TSA practice.

Who knows how many nefarious plots TSA has foiled by destroying insulin pumps?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If TSA doesn't respond, we will know that damaging or destroying insulin pumps is acceptable TSA practice.

Who knows how many nefarious plots TSA has foiled by destroying insulin pumps?
Very sad to say but at least it wasn't the entire electronic control unit. That would be another $800 or so.

I don't see how the public can ever trust TSA with our property or our bodies. The continuing damning history of TSA is just to great to ignore.

Something is very wrong with the TSA agency and its employees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.