Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA release complaints documents (from 2008)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT

a public information request is finally granted 4 years later...

http://www.propublica.org/article/ts...ur-years-later
Old May 4, 2012, 1:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
From intrusive pat-downs to body scans to perceived profiling, the Transportation Security Administration always seems to be the target of complaints.

Here's another one: It took the TSA almost four years to tell me what people complained about — in 2008.

In my first week at ProPublica in June 2008, I filed a public records request for the agency's complaint files. Such records can provide good fodder for investigations.

For example, amid the brouhaha over the agency's introduction of intensive full-body pat-downs in 2004, I requested complaints and discovered an untold story of the pain and humiliation suffered by rape victims and breast cancer survivors. In one incident that I found from that request — while I was a reporter at the Dallas Morning News — a woman complained that a screener asked her to remove her prosthetic breast to be swabbed for explosives.

When I made a similar FOIA request in 2008, I assumed the TSA would respond in a few months. Government agencies have about a month to respond to public record requests, though they often take longer. I figured even if their response took months, I'd be able to repeat it regularly to get a timely, inside look as to what passengers were complaining about and find out about incidents that required some more digging.

Boy, was I wrong.
Old May 4, 2012, 1:24 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
"In another complaint, a man flying to Cancun demanded an investigation after finding that the bottle of Jack Daniels he packed in his luggage was empty by the time he arrived."

"..., an elderly woman in a wheelchair was asked to walk through security and fell at Orlando International Airport."

Nice.
Old May 4, 2012, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
"In another complaint, a man flying to Cancun demanded an investigation after finding that the bottle of Jack Daniels he packed in his luggage was empty by the time he arrived."

"..., an elderly woman in a wheelchair was asked to walk through security and fell at Orlando International Airport."
At least it's easy to understand why the TSA doesn't want to release information that exposes them for the idiots they are.
Old May 4, 2012, 2:30 pm

It's good to see they log and ignored the TSO written complaints as well....
Old May 4, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
And of course, today's TSA "leadership" can ignore the outrage by saying "but that was 4 years ago - we've fixed all those problems and everything is much better now." Pissy can blame Kippie and Gale (remember Gale?). The complaint logs for 2012 won't be released until 2016, and - assuming that the Constitution hasn't officially been repealed and that the TSA still exists - the "leadership" du jour can blame Pissy and Nappie.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:32 pm

Seems only way to get anything expedited in their complaint system is to convince a member of Congress to complain for you :-( sure they'll get right on that after they take campaign money from security equipment manufacturers.
Old May 5, 2012, 3:47 pm

The complaints that are in the PDF document... Do they include complaints submitted in all formats?

I imagine a lot of people who have had bad experiences with the TSA don't fill out a comment card or complain because of time (or the TSA employee says they 'are out'), or don't submit a complaint because they won't think it will do any good, or don't know the procedure, or for various other reasons. Basically what I'm saying is that from that time period in 2008, there are probably A LOT more complaints and issues than what is listed in the document. Its scary to think about... and who knows for 2009 through 2012, when more and more body scanners are installed at airports throughout the country. The amount of complaints sure aren't going to go down with increased groping by the TSA. Maybe we will see those complaints a few years down the road.
Old May 7, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - chairman, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, TSA - Dog Dung.
Originally Posted by yknot
a public information request is finally granted 4 years later...

http://www.propublica.org/article/ts...ur-years-later
A large number of these appear to be written by a partially literate monkey. I wonder how much they pay him?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.