Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

20% of passengers flying through Japan to be groped

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2012, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Last edited by MikeMpls; Apr 22, 2012 at 7:28 pm Reason: I posted this elsewhere & it was moved. I do not post in TS/S.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
As only one data point on the curve, I couldn't care less. I fly through there tomorrow and don't have any concerns.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Last edited by MikeMpls; Apr 22, 2012 at 7:29 pm Reason: I posted this elsewhere & it was moved. I do not post in TS/S.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, MM, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, etc
That could definitely cut into my SkyClub time as I pass through NRT fairly often.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Now more of the world will understand what it's like to be a female using public transportation in Japan.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Japan to start random "body searches" on pax on international flights

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...-airports?lite

"Some passengers traveling through international airports in Japan can expect body searches beginning in June, the Kyodo news agency reported, citing transport ministry sources.

Kyodo said about 10 percent of passengers at all airports with international flights would be randomly selected for a body search and baggage check..."

I for one will not set foot in Japan until this maddness stops
Old Apr 22, 2012, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would expect the Japanese security employees to be very proper and do same sex patdowns, hopefully in public rather than behind some sort of privacy wall or curtain.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would expect the Japanese security employees to be very proper and do same sex patdowns, hopefully in public rather than behind some sort of privacy wall or curtain.
Personally I prefer the operation in some other Asian airports where they are always female.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Whoever is doing will bow and appologize before putting on their latex glove.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
MSNBC: Japan to start random body searches at its international airports

Odds are 1:10 per flight which translates to 1:5 (20%) for round trips. This is not going to bode well for an airline (e.g. Delta) with a critical hub in Japan.

Those 787s would have helped bypass Japan ...

1. You went out of your way to create a headline that would be sensational.
2. You are making an "assumption" that this will affect travel to and from Japan based on your "fears"

And if you have to go to Japan on business I fail to see how this is going to be bypassed by "not flying Delta" LOL! They didn't say "we are only groping passengers on Delta or at NRT"

Amazing logic here.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA, DL, B6, WN
Smile

Odds are 1:10 per flight which translates to 1:5 (20%) for round trips. This is not going to bode well for an airline (e.g. Delta) with a critical hub in Japan.
To be a bit pedantic, your odds aren't 20%.

If the probability of being searched each trip through Japan is 10%, then the probability of not being searched is 90%.

Assuming both trips are independent, then the probability of not being strip-searched on your trip is actually (90%)^2, or 81% -- so the probability of being strip-searched at least once is 19%, not 20%.

It's not clear to me how this is actually going to be implemented (10% of all passengers? How? Connecting passengers? Originating passengers?), but for an upper bound, suppose they screen both arriving and departing passengers - then the probability of being searched at least once on your connecting flight through Japan increases from 2 incidents to 4 incidents (for connecting to an outside of Japan location) or 6 incidents (if connecting to another international airport within Japan. So as an upper bound, 1-(0.9)^6 = 47% chance that you'll be searched at least once assuming that they're checking both arriving and departing passengers. :)

Last edited by yankervitch; Apr 22, 2012 at 6:34 pm Reason: %^ is a thumbs up?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Your probabilities aren't quite right: it's actually only 19% (1 - 0.9*0.9, or 0.1 + 0.1*0.9) that you will be groped at least once on a round trip. No difference for one round trip, but the probability that you will be groped at least once in 6 round trips is 47% (1 - 0.9**6), not 120% (12*0.1).

(Sorry, the scientist in me couldn't resist.)

ETA: (Damn: yankervitch beat me to it, including choosing the exact same number for the crazy limit. I used ** for exponentiation because of the thumbs up issue. The board software obviously isn't designed for arithmetic. )
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Moving to the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

-slippahs, DL forum co-mod
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA, DL, B6, WN
Haha! Yeah, as a statistician, seeing that 20% number definitely irked me... then the engineer in me reasoned that 20% was good enough for an order of magnitude assessment.

Glad to see that someone else agreed with my statistician's point of view. (I also found that turning emoticons off fixes the odd thumbs up issue.)
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by yankervitch
Haha! Yeah, as a statistician, seeing that 20% number definitely irked me... then the engineer in me reasoned that 20% was good enough for an order of magnitude assessment.
I'm sure the uncertainty in that 10% number is more than enough to wipe out the 1% difference after one round trip, but not after 6.

Glad to see that someone else agreed with my statistician's point of view. (I also found that turning emoticons off fixes the odd thumbs up issue.)
But I wanted emoticons in the same post!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.