Wiki Posts
Search

AirCast and security

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
AirCast and security

For the past 3 weeks, due to a broken foot, I've had an AirCast on my foot.
During this time, I've been through security 8 times. I take my shoe off and leave the cast on, walk through the metal detector. They call out Male assist, No Alarm. I then move to the side, get the cast and my palm swabbed.

Last week, I'm going through the Pre-Check line in ATL - same routine except I'm now told that I have 2 choices, take off the cast which is pain or go through a full grope routine. I ask to talk to the supervisor who is not about to admit that her guy is wrong and I'm told that this is the new SOP. Since when I ask as I've been done this 7 times in the past 3 weeks,did they just change it last night?

It really bugs me when you call BS on this bunch that they just lie to save face.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Tomphot
It really bugs me when you call BS on this bunch that they just lie to save face.
And that there is no repercussion when they do. If I lie to a customer's face I get fired. If they lie to a customer they call it a Tuesday.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:47 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I don't have as much experience dealing with TSA as the real road warriors on FT, but in my experience, when dealing with any bureaucracy, it's best to know the structure, know the titles, and know the jargon. Sounding like you know what you're talking about is often all it takes to convince people that you're an expert, and a sense of calm, assertive confidence will often get you much further than any flustered, frustrated protestations.

Next time this happens to you, remember the terminology that you have learned here, and apply it. Simply asking for "a supervisor" or "a manager" is pretty generic. BUt if you start by asking for "your STSO" (supervisory TSO, a 3-striper) you may get a little more mileage.

If you fail to get satisfaction from the STSO, as often happens, then don't just ask the STSO for their supervisor; ask to see the TSM (transportation security manager). The TSM is not a uniformed position - they're one of the Suits. According to what I've read on FT, a TSM is required by federal regulations to be on duty in the terminal at all times.

If you fail to get satisfaction from the TSM, you can then ask for the AFSD (assistant federal security director) or the FSD. Again, these are suits, and they're pretty high up the chain in an airport - so much so that there may only be one of them per airport, meaning that they're not on duty 24/7, so they might not be there when you ask for them. But asking for them by title, perhaps even by name if you can look up the names of your airport's AFSD or FSD ahead of time, may spook the TSM into submission.

Through all of this, don't get angry, don't get flustered, don't get frustrated, don't raise your voice. Smile, be personable, be calm, but be firm and confident. You're playing poker with this sort of interaction, in any organization, be it a government agency or the local Burger King, and you want to maintain the aura of quiet confidence that you will eventually win out. Any cracks in your facade will cause the opposition to call your bluff, which is bad in an airport, because they really ARE holding all the cards.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Being nice never works with these idiots.

Get out a pad of paper and a pen and start writing down names. Send letters (not e-mails). Ensure you use words like "discriminating against me because of a medical condition."
Old Apr 24, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: too many of the few that are left
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Being nice never works with these idiots.

Get out a pad of paper and a pen and start writing down names. Send letters (not e-mails). Ensure you use words like "discriminating against me because of a medical condition."
The problems with "writing down names" are
1) your phone, other electronic devices you may have with you, and writing material are under TSA control by this point.
2) They take extreme measures to hide their names and identifying info. You may be able to get a surname from the metal nameplate, but the pass-type ID (with complete name and photos) are often worn obscured. Screeners may refuse to identify themselves when asked, without repercussions. Even the suit-level employees, who wear no visible ID, are issued no business cards. This agency has no commitment whatsoever to act in a transparent or accountable manner.

I always opt out, so feel no need to follow their directions to completely empty pockets, etc., but have been threatened with a private-room search (i.e. much more intrusive, including removal of clothing) for having a 3" golf pencil in my pocket. Some choose to hold their wallet in hand through the entire process; I have witnessed screeners insisting that was not permitted but at that point my groper arrived, so I did not see the outcome.

Finally, with few exceptions no government representatives have been willing to address this problem; those who tried have to date been unsuccessful. If you know of any address to send mail where complaints about endangering travelers with medical conditions are attended and effective action taken, please do post it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.