Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Sen Nelson proposes no elite/premium security lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sen Nelson proposes no elite/premium security lines

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by kebosabi
I paid $50 to sign up for NEXUS, I was interviewed by BOTH US and Canadian immigration officials, I already am a trusted traveler under BOTH US and Canadian immigration, I should not have to go through the TSA security theater whose ID checkers doesn't even know what a NEXUS card is.
If you don't want to go thru theater, then you should be advocating changing security. TT is just another form of theater.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Superguy
If you don't want to go thru theater, then you should be advocating changing security. TT is just another form of theater.
Indeed "trusted traveler" is just another form of theater. When it comes to this theater of "favors" for some US persons at US airports but not for all at US airports, keep in mind when the favors government grants some US citizens are favors which the government can (sooner or later) deny, at the whim of government employees, even the same US citizens at US airports.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by cbn42
No, I was completely serious. The TSA has a history of giving preferential treatment to the groups of people who have influence or who complain the most. First politicians, then pilots, and now frequent fliers. That way, they can continue to justify buying machines and hiring staff, and they silence the criticism at the same time.

I may have frequent flier status, but I don't think it's right for other people to be abused at the check point just because I'm not.
So then you would abolish "special" lines at hotels, theaters, Vegas show rooms, organ transplnat lists etc ?

Would Sen. Nelson be amneble to us common folks line up with Congress Members for the medical visitsthat they are entitled to ?

Is this a case of Do as I say, not as I do ?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HMPS
So then you would abolish "special" lines at hotels, theaters, Vegas show rooms, organ transplnat lists etc ?

Would Sen. Nelson be amneble to us common folks line up with Congress Members for the medical visitsthat they are entitled to ?

It's a case about airports in the US.

Is the TSA in control of "security" for "hotels, theaters, Vegas show rooms, organ transplant lists" and playing divide and conquer at the "hotels, theaters, Vegas show rooms, organ transplant lists"? Generally not, unlike with airports where the TSA is designated to be in control of "security" (even where contractors are in use).
Old Apr 5, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: Star Gold
It wouldn't necessarily accomplish passenger fairness, but it would take away one of the TSA's methods of avoiding passenger fairness. The idea is that if you ban the TSA from improving the screening experience for only certain groups of people, then in order to respond to public outcry they will have to improve it for everyone rather than just the groups complaining like they currently do.
Originally Posted by Superguy
Completely agree. This is why, while I'm likely going to participate, I am kind of against TT. It is just removing the pain from those that have an ability to actually make a difference. "Respectable" members of society have to speak up against the nonsense, and if they are forced to experience the nonsense, they will change it. (This is why members of congress should also not get their own special line.)

Originally Posted by HMPS

Wow, what a ridiculous exaggeration.

FYI, there are no "special lists" for organ transplant. There is a way of gaming the system a bit, involving the ability to travel (e.g. if you have a private jet, you could qualify more places), but beyond that, there are no special lists.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
This is truly an outrageous outrage!

What's next, banning club rooms, Global Service Concierges, and First Class?

Senator Nelson says it's about "fairness" but it's clear he doesn't understand equality. Everyone has an equal opportunity to pay for premium service.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Life is not fair. I guess Nebraska did not get the message
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:31 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by reamworks
Senator Nelson says it's about "fairness" but it's clear he doesn't understand equality. Everyone has an equal opportunity to pay for premium service.
In that case, shouldn't the TSA be collecting the payment for premium service? Why should the TSA give premium service to someone who paid extra to an airline?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:58 pm

In that case, shouldn't the TSA be collecting the payment for premium service? Why should the TSA give premium service to someone who paid extra to an airline?
This is a common misconception. The TSA controls the checkpoint itself. The lines leading up to the checkpoint are controlled by the airport. They can have a premium line for an additional price. It's just like any other amenity.

What's next, not allowing top-shelf booze in the airport bar because only people who choose to pay extra for it can get it?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:35 am
Suspended

This is a common misconception. The TSA controls the checkpoint itself. The lines leading up to the checkpoint are controlled by the airport. They can have a premium line for an additional price. It's just like any other amenity.

What's next, not allowing top-shelf booze in the airport bar because only people who choose to pay extra for it can get it?
The government already decides who gets premium screening and not.

Given how heavily the US aviation infrastructure is subsidized even by infrequent flyers and non-flyers, it should be expected that the "all animals are equal but some are more equal than others" at airports doesn't exactly fly so well with all.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 3:54 am

Everyone has an equal opportunity to pay for premium service.
Not true - I am a frequent flier and would gladly pay not to go through the ridiculous security measures the TSA has imposed, but I do not qualify for PreCheck simply because I am not a US citizen.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 4:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Not true - I am a frequent flier and would gladly pay not to go through the ridiculous security measures the TSA has imposed, but I do not qualify for PreCheck simply because I am not a US citizen.
... and just wait until the "PreCheck" line ends up displacing the "priority" line -- it is on the table.

If Nelson were to be a proponent of eliminating the "PreCheck" theater and the related line, then I would be more eager to support this bill. As it is, I am not opposed to this bill, but that is only because of some wishful thinking that if the airlines' most frequent and valuable customers start being treated like the once-a-year VFR passenger, then perhaps the airlines and their customers would finally put real pressure on the government to improve the situation with the TSA and fix it for everyone by giving all passengers the LLL "PreCheck" allowances at the screening checkpoints.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
It's not government run "pre-check" services he's after. It's things like the "Global Service" line at SFO airport (very handy!) and other line-shorteners for airline's premium customers.

The summary of the bill, in the OP says:

to promote fairness for all air travel passengers by barring airlines and airport operators from using express security lines that allow for certain groups of air passengers to cut to the front of the TSA security screening line at the airport.
This is nothing to do with expediting your way through security, it's services that allow you to get to security faster!

He wants to bar a private company from offering a premium service to customers who choose to pay more. It would be like barring me from hiring a driver to take me to and from the airport because some people choose to take a shuttle buss that takes longer.

Read the ENTIRE PROPOSAL here (it's short):

http://www.bennelson.senate.gov/pres...rness-bill.cfm

Then write your Rep and tell him or her to oppose it.

Last edited by reamworks; Apr 6, 2012 at 8:37 am
Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's a case about airports in the US.

Is the TSA in control of "security" for "hotels, theaters, Vegas show rooms, organ transplant lists" and playing divide and conquer at the "hotels, theaters, Vegas show rooms, organ transplant lists"? Generally not, unlike with airports where the TSA is designated to be in control of "security" (even where contractors are in use).
....And you are saying in the Govt there are no favorites or influential people who get extra privileges ?

Granted TSA is Govt operated. The lines for Elites are created by airlines for their frequent CUSTOMERS.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:06 am

[QUOTE=reamworks;18344024]This is a common misconception. The TSA controls the checkpoint itself. The lines leading up to the checkpoint are controlled by the airport. They can have a premium line for an additional price. It's just like any other amenity.
QUOTE]

This is correct. Lines up to TSA checkpoint are controlled by the airport, who makes whatever deal they like with the airlines, all in an effort to run THEIR businesses the way that THEY choose.

Mind you own business Ben Nelson

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.