Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Chief Pistole Pressed to Expand Private Screeners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Avis

There is a glimmer of hope.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...vate-screeners
Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
What do you think the odds are that as soon as an airport implements this program, TSA sends an undercover operative to perform the "Jon Corbett" test. The TSA will claim that a dangerous object was missed by the private screeners and ignore the fact that it was a limitation of their equipment. The media and TSA apologists will blindly ignore the hard facts of the case and private screening will be eliminated for good.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; AS Gold; Starbucks Platinum Plus, no Mucci
Be careful what you ask for. . .

Originally Posted by powerplantop
This seems like a huge mistake -- the goal should be LESS security screening, not more. Certainly, not more security screening by just-as-incompetent (or just as self-important) persons. Also, they'd be even LESS accountable privately-contracted screeners. What a potential mess. The bureaucratic ramifications are mind-boggling. . .

I would guess one goal in this might be to "dilute" the TSA, but that's a risky approach. We'd be trading one large arguably publicly accountable agency (and it's related problems, yes) for many, many uncoordinated contractors with possibly very little enforceable accountability. (Potentially -- we're talking "private security," though, so I read that as a fairly high potential.)

I push my congressional representatives for LESS of the TSA, not more of somebody else. -- Anyone know how to start one of those White House petitions? It's got to be time for another TSA one by now. . .
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by JLen
This seems like a huge mistake -- the goal should be LESS security screening, not more. .
Where do you get the notion of more screening from ?

It would be the same amount, under the same rules but using non-federal employees. As for accountability anything would be better than what we currently have which is none.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
It would be the same amount, under the same rules but using non-federal employees. As for accountability anything would be better than what we currently have which is none.
+1

Private firms are definatly more accountable then the gov.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by tinman435
+1

Yes, like Blackwater, err.. Xe Services LLC, err.. Academi.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; AS Gold; Starbucks Platinum Plus, no Mucci
Originally Posted by tinman435
+1

Well, initially I was thinking about every Mall Cop I've ever seen . . . but Blackwater is an excellent example in this case, too. -- I'd lay odds that Halliburton has some sort of US-based subsidiary ready to roll when this becomes an option. . . (and I hope privatization does NOT become an option)

I find the proliferation of private security in this country to be intolerable. There's no oversight, there's no common sense, there's no minimum IQ or EQ . . . -- So, I would lobby for LESS TSA -- and don't replace them with somebody else -- just reign them in and reduce the process altogether. It's all show. We're on our 12th year of the absurd, and we need to cut it back to the minimum amount possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.