Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The attitude of too many Americans

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:26 am
Original Poster

The attitude of too many Americans

A comment on the Facebook page of our local NBC affiliate, about whether the runway breach at PHL could happen at BOS --

https://www.facebook.com/7NEWS

Tony ProudAmerican DeChellis Jr.: We just have to worry about TSA Agents groping and assaulting people and baggage handlers stealing thngs.

Kellie Kane: I can handle groping if it means my plane won't get hijacked, but they best not steal from or lose my luggage.
Grope me; scan me; interrogate me.

But don't lose my bags.

Pathetic.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 3:27 pm

I hate to burst Kellie's bubble (head), but it isn't only baggage handlers who steal stuff. Better keep your eyes on your belongings while they are groping you, Kellie.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: None anymore
Runway breach isn't TSA`s issue, it can happen anywhere at anytime. Most are accidental.
TSA's house at most any airport needs cleaning. The ability for them to prevent anything is null, zip, zero, zilch.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

TSA's mission: "The Transportation Security Administration protects the Nations transportation systems to ensure freedom of movement for people and commerce."

A personal car that comes within seconds of the path of a landing jet seems to be a compromise of the nation's transportation system, and is very much the TSA's issue.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
"Too many Americans"... how many, exactly, of 300 million, would you say, display such an attitude? When we paint with an overly broad brush it all comes out the same color.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
"Too many Americans"... how many, exactly, of 300 million, would you say, display such an attitude?
One is too many in this case.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
"Too many Americans"... how many, exactly, of 300 million, would you say, display such an attitude? When we paint with an overly broad brush it all comes out the same color.
I couldn't say exactly how many out of 300 million, but I will say that I have seen similar "anything for security" comments by dozens of people on various boards, blogs, and news story comments over the last 2-3 years, far outnumbering those of us who decry the TSA and its draconian abuse of authority. Amongst my family, friends, and co-workers, the percentage who take the "I'd rather be groped than explode in mid-air" attitude was about 90% until I started explaining things from the opposite perspective; it's now something more like 30%.

It's difficult to judge whether the pendulum is swinging the other way. Comments in the blogsphere certainly seem to be changing overwhelmingly against TSA policies, but this could possibly be because those of us on FT naturally descend on any TSA article and overwhelm the comments with our opinion, rather than any actual shift in public attitude.

Still, I hope that there is such a shift in public attitude. I do my best to explain my position without getting terribly emotional about it, which would make me sound like a paranoid tin-foil-hat conspiracy theory lunatic, but it's difficult to lay out facts and be rational in the face of such overwhelming assaults on the very fabric of the American ideals of individual freedom trumping "collective good" or "government interest."

It's particularly difficult when the prevailing attitude among Americans today seems to be that the government's primary reason for existence is to take care of us and solve our problems, when I believe that the government's primary responsibility is to protect and defend our individual rights and freedoms from any who would infringe upon them or deny them - especially itself.

But to address the original premise of this thread - even ONE American who is willing to compromise the individual rights and freedoms of others out of fear of an enemy attacking him is one too many. NOBODY has the right to take away the rights of others just because he is afraid of the Big Bad Wolf, yet here we are.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Being very conservative, I'd say 299 million alas.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Being very conservative, I'd say 299 million alas.
Many of them multitasking while driving, which can be far more life threatening than the unlikely occurrence of a terrorist incident.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by IslandBased
Many of them multitasking while driving, which can be far more life threatening than the unlikely occurrence of a terrorist incident.
Funny you mention that. Whenever I have a conversation with someone who gives me the "anything for security" line, I point out that the most dangerous part of any trip is the drive to the airport. I usually get the "yeah, I know, but..."

Truthfully, I don't get as much of the "anything for security" now. It's more, "Yeah, it doesn't really do anything, but it only takes a minute, so it's not worth arguing."

Hmm...

Mike
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Well I would posit that if the views didn't represent a significant number things would change as their congress people would have to take notice, or be replaced by others who would bring said change.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold ,DL Gold,AA,HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Gold,Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by saulblum
TSA's mission: "The Transportation Security Administration protects the Nations transportation systems to ensure freedom of movement for people and commerce."

A personal car that comes within seconds of the path of a landing jet seems to be a compromise of the nation's transportation system, and is very much the TSA's issue.
Except that actively detecting and patrolling the airport for security breaches is the airport's job. The TSA will advise and require certain systems be in place, but the actual boots on the ground are airport staff and local LE.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: Air Canada - SuperElite; Hilton Honors Diamond VIP; Hertz 5 Star; AirMiles Gold; Avis Preferred;
Well, obviously a majority because otherwise, why would you tolerate losing so many of your civil liberties? The proof is in the pudding. Canadians certainly are less likely to put up with this crap... http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03...ge-in-lawsuit/
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
1) America is a nation of sheep.

2) Americans are too concerned with their own personal speed through a checkpoint, rather than the broader "common good". They have abdicated responsibility for the "common good" to the government, who has, in turn, determined that the "common good" means invasive Kabuki theater.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: British Airways, Air France, Delta
I've been surprised at how many women echo the the sentiment of the bag lady on Facebook. Well, I'm no longer surprised, but I was for awhile.

I will remember to mention the drive to the airport (and there have been THREE fatalities within 15 miles of my house in the past 3 weeks, all drifted over the line or over the edge of the freeway while texting or otherwise messing around). If we go out 30 miles, it's 4 females in the last 3 weeks (and there's that one girl up in Wyoming whose parents are trying to get some law passed regarding texting while driving, after their daughter died while facebooking). Of the four near my home, 3 involved injuries to others, one person remains in critical condition (through not fault of his own).

Total hypocrisy that people who risk their own (and others' lives) at the rate of some 18,000 a year (multiple car accidents where a fatality is the fault of another driver)...and then want to have *everyone* be "real safe" at the airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.