Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Congress Set To Revoke Passports For IRS Tax Debt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Congress Set To Revoke Passports For IRS Tax Debt

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mbstone
There is no content in this post. I hereby sentence you to six hours of attempting to find information on thomas.loc.gov.

The Senate today passed a highway authorization conference report, S.4348, that did not contain the word "passport."

[I had already been there and gotten the PDFs about what happened in conference. I just don't believe in forcing horses to drink water if they aren't thirsty. ]

Unfortunately, I expect this won't be the first and last time that this ugly approach of restricting/revoking/denying passports finds advocates in Congress.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: AA Gold
Thumbs up yay!!

Originally Posted by GUWonder

[I had already been there and gotten the PDFs about what happened in conference. I just don't believe in forcing horses to drink water if they aren't thirsty. ]

Unfortunately, I expect this won't be the first and last time that this ugly approach of restricting/revoking/denying passports finds advocates in Congress.
Since unless one is a lawyer it is virtually impossible to decipher these bills by reading them, I will take your word GUWonder that you read it and are assuring us that there is nothing about revoking passports for tax debts in THIS bill. Thanks for being on the lookout for us non lawyers out here.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by susiesan
Since unless one is a lawyer it is virtually impossible to decipher these bills by reading them, I will take your word GUWonder that you read it and are assuring us that there is nothing about revoking passports for tax debts in THIS bill. Thanks for being on the lookout for us non lawyers out here.
Of those legislators who are lawyers, they never read all of the bills upon which they vote -- most of them have no clue about what all is in all the legislation for which they voted. As far as I am concerned, this is a sign of the government legislators trying to do way too much in too many ways while doing way too little to make sure the government hasn't done way too much. The result is that the liberty of most all US persons is a grace granted at the whim of the government since things are so complicated that just about anyone can be up for civil or criminal penalties.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: United
Of those legislators who are lawyers, they never read all of the bills upon which they vote -- most of them have no clue about what all is in all the legislation for which they voted. As far as I am concerned, this is a sign of the government legislators trying to do way too much in too many ways while doing way too little to make sure the government hasn't done way too much. The result is that the liberty of most all US persons is a grace granted at the whim of the government since things are so complicated that just about anyone can be up for civil or criminal penalties.
Sometimes they don't even vote when they are voting.
http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=27237
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
I might be bringing a knife to a gunfight, yet here goes...

The US Constitution states "The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.". And Paul v. Virginia dealt with ingress/egress between states. Yet I can't find a reference that the government has any responsilbity to protect freedome-of-movement across country borders. If someone really wanted to leave the country, I'm sure someone would find a way (as there's exceptions to the revoke clause, there's always a way).

I'd be more concerned with states use of revoking of driver's licenses for monetary purposes. The list of valid reasons states can revoke a dl is approaching staggering.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:15 pm
Suspended

http://www.newsmax.com/US/irs-highwa...7/05/id/444486
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks, GUWonder for the article. This makes it official, for now. I don't have to worry about losing my US passport when I immigrate out of the US and take up residence elsewhere.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Read the article, and found this interesting... the person had to have significant debt (excess of $50k usd), and have no payment or resolution plan in place, then the IRS would ask State to review the passport (<i>that's how I'm reading it</i>). State could just as well say "pound sand, IRS".

I'm the last person to give the IRS a free pass, yet... in general, if a taxpayer is proactively seeking resolution of a tax issue, even if that resolution involves not paying any taxes (such as insolvency) and they just want to close the books, the IRS will, in general, bend over backwards to work with the taxpayer. My impression was that this bill was for those who owed a lot of money, refused or were unable to come to an agreement, which by many definitions that would make them a flight risk.

The previous welfare/child-support issue woudl have required State to revoke the passport (as I'm reading this). Different story, if true.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by mbstone
Is there a list somewhere of non-US countries that don't require passports for entry by US nationals? For purposes of this question, never mind how the US national would arrive at the foreign port of entry.
Last time I went to Tijuana, nobody checked my US passport upon entry to Mexico.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Read the article, and found this interesting... the person had to have significant debt (excess of $50k usd), and have no payment or resolution plan in place, then the IRS would ask State to review the passport (<i>that's how I'm reading it</i>). State could just as well say "pound sand, IRS".

I'm the last person to give the IRS a free pass, yet... in general, if a taxpayer is proactively seeking resolution of a tax issue, even if that resolution involves not paying any taxes (such as insolvency) and they just want to close the books, the IRS will, in general, bend over backwards to work with the taxpayer. My impression was that this bill was for those who owed a lot of money, refused or were unable to come to an agreement, which by many definitions that would make them a flight risk.

The previous welfare/child-support issue woudl have required State to revoke the passport (as I'm reading this). Different story, if true.
It would have required State to do more than merely "review" things.

I don't generally agree with Sensenbrenner, but on this he's not only right, he's correct.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)

I'm honestly surprised somebody hasn't proposed revoking or denying passports for other kinds of unpaid debt (credit cards, student loans, medical bills, etc...) The Gulf nations have already been doing it for decades ...
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thomwithanh
I'm honestly surprised somebody hasn't proposed revoking or denying passports for other kinds of unpaid debt (credit cards, student loans, medical bills, etc...) The Gulf nations have already been doing it for decades ...
I am aware of some practices in the GCC area of denying passports, including that of denying passports to citizens with civil debts. But, unlike with the US, they have far more recent history of locking up honest, non-violent individuals .... even for unpaid commercial debts. Talk about running debtors' prisons of a sort.

China and GCC countries aren't a model of how the US or anyone else should restrict the travel rights of ordinary citizens, burdened by debt or not.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18275028-post16.html

Unfortunately, it is to be expected that this will be attempted again and expanded to cover additional debts too.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
I am aware of some practices in the GCC area of denying passports, including that of denying passports to citizens with civil debts. But, unlike with the US, they have far more recent history of locking up honest, non-violent individuals .... even for unpaid commercial debts. Talk about running debtors' prisons of a sort.

China and GCC countries aren't a model of how the US or anyone else should restrict the travel rights of ordinary citizens, burdened by debt or not.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18275028-post16.html

Unfortunately, it is to be expected that this will be attempted again and expanded to cover additional debts too.
Just to clarify: I was not even remotely suggesting that we start taking after the GCC and China and criminalize debt (although I'm sure there are people in our government who would love to...) Fraud notwithstanding, debtors are not criminals and should not be treated like criminals.

I've heard the horror stories of expat workers in the Middle East who lost their jobs and then are prevented from leaving the country or renewing their work visas when they fall behind on their rent, car payments, or credit cards. One British woman has been stuck in Bahrain for over ten years without any means to support herself and locked up four separate times for the same debt.

Last edited by thomwithanh; Aug 7, 2012 at 11:21 am
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Unfortunately, this (passport denial/revocation) kind of item has raised its ugly head again and is now in the 2015 MAP-21 highway spending bill currently in Congress.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:18 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by Allan38103
This proposal can't be true. We're not thinking of adopting third-world type tactics for for own people. This looks more like an eastern european police state than the Land of the Free.

Next thing they will have uniformed guards making make us "show our papers" whenever we get to a domestic checkpoint.
we already have that in the 100 mile constitution free zone.

I have been stopped 90 miles inside the border in Arizona

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.