Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA refusing GE Cards for security checkpoints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA refusing GE Cards for security checkpoints

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by chollie
Which should take how long? They're still not all up-to-date on NEXUS and it has been around for at least a couple years, if not longer.
Depends. It's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy above my pay grade. Sometimes it's a couple of years, sometimes less than a year.

NEXUS is already in there, as seen on the TSA website. It just more stems from the fact some TSOs are lazy or dumb and some are just unfamiliar with the card. I can count on my fingers how many times I've seen a NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST card come through.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by LoganTSO
Depends. It's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy above my pay grade. Sometimes it's a couple of years, sometimes less than a year.

NEXUS is already in there, as seen on the TSA website. It just more stems from the fact some TSOs are lazy or dumb and some are just unfamiliar with the card. I can count on my fingers how many times I've seen a NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST card come through.
Not just TSOs. There are folks who have escalated at least two levels up and either been told it isn't acceptable ID (website is out-of-date) or that it simply isn't accepted at that particular airport. I guess we can't really expect TSOs to know more than their management (although I suspect good ones often do).

Last edited by chollie; Feb 10, 2012 at 7:16 pm
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:14 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
If you have time, stand your ground. I always step to the side and let others through as they escalate up the chain.

I think by now most of the screeners at the PDX D/E checkpoint recognize a Global Entry card. My little contribution to TSA's staff education.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoganTSO

But all TSA employees are properly trained on which forms of ID are acceptable, correct?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: aa,ua,dl,sw
GE card refused

Phoenix d gates. Screener demanded a DL in addition to passport card. Said he the right to,

This is simply an unnecessary form of harassment. If valid id is presented then there job is done.

Can anyone explain what is the valid travel safety related issue?

This is an organization that needs to be earn respect for the traveling public
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mickfair
Phoenix d gates. Screener demanded a DL in addition to passport card. Said he the right to,

This is simply an unnecessary form of harassment. If valid id is presented then there job is done.

Can anyone explain what is the valid travel safety related issue?

This is an organization that needs to be earn respect for the traveling public
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Did you ask for a Supervisor or just show him your DL?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I had my GE card rejected at MIA the other day....

It was before 6am. I followed a few others I was travelling with to and through the H checkpoint. The GE card worked like a charm. We managed a SDOO of the NOS as one line had the NOS and the other the WTMD. All was well until after coming through the checkpoint the leader of our merry little band realized we'd gone through the wrong checkpoint. So, we headed to the exit and over to the G gates.

I knew there would be trouble when the clerk checking IDs asked me if I had other ID. I responded that the GE card was acceptable ID and she called for a supervisor. After a few minutes of waiting I politely asked her to call again as no supervisor had shown up. I was immediately told that I was harassing her. After about 10 minutes, during which I waved my hands over my head to get the attention of someone in authority, a supervisor did come by. He took my GE card and disappeared with it. A few minutes later he came back and told me it was not in his book, and was unacceptable. I counseled him otherwise, even to the point of reminding him that MIA was part of the new "Pre" program and that the GE card had in fact been produced by his agency. It was all to no avail. Knowing that I was still going to opt-out of the NOS, as the WTMD was blocked off despite the lengthy queue, I showed him my passport.

to MIA for a distinct lack of logic and supreme inconsistency. That's just what I expect from the TSA, thugh. I guess that's just anther layer...
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I had my GE card rejected at MIA the other day....

It was before 6am. I followed a few others I was travelling with to and through the H checkpoint. The GE card worked like a charm. We managed a SDOO of the NOS as one line had the NOS and the other the WTMD. All was well until after coming through the checkpoint the leader of our merry little band realized we'd gone through the wrong checkpoint. So, we headed to the exit and over to the G gates.

I knew there would be trouble when the clerk checking IDs asked me if I had other ID. I responded that the GE card was acceptable ID and she called for a supervisor. After a few minutes of waiting I politely asked her to call again as no supervisor had shown up. I was immediately told that I was harassing her. After about 10 minutes, during which I waved my hands over my head to get the attention of someone in authority, a supervisor did come by. He took my GE card and disappeared with it. A few minutes later he came back and told me it was not in his book, and was unacceptable. I counseled him otherwise, even to the point of reminding him that MIA was part of the new "Pre" program and that the GE card had in fact been produced by his agency. It was all to no avail. Knowing that I was still going to opt-out of the NOS, as the WTMD was blocked off despite the lengthy queue, I showed him my passport.

to MIA for a distinct lack of logic and supreme inconsistency. That's just what I expect from the TSA, thugh. I guess that's just anther layer...
And TSA workers wonder why the public has little respect for their organization.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rsh913
It seems GE card is no longer listed on TSA's website.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...documents.shtm

DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
I suggest you look at the BACK of a GE card, in the middle, right above the flag@:-)
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ryan182
I suggest you look at the BACK of a GE card, in the middle, right above the flag@:-)
Well, that would be a @:-), except most of us don't have GE cards. (In fact, when I was approved for GE, all they did was put a sticker on my passport.) Why don't you just tell us what we would see if we looked there?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by janetdoe
Well, that would be a @:-), except most of us don't have GE cards. (In fact, when I was approved for GE, all they did was put a sticker on my passport.) Why don't you just tell us what we would see if we looked there?
"SENTRI"
And I also got nothing more than a sticker, but for $15 you can get a card now too. Only took about 7 days for mine to arrive as well. Useful if you ever find yourself driving back from Canada.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
In one of the other hundred threads about Global Entry Cards not being accepted, there's a quote from a TSA spokesperson they gave to a reporter after it was refused. The spokesperson said that they were indeed acceptable ID's at the checkpoints.

Of course, that doesn't mean the people on the line know that.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
In one of the other hundred threads about Global Entry Cards not being accepted, there's a quote from a TSA spokesperson they gave to a reporter after it was refused. The spokesperson said that they were indeed acceptable ID's at the checkpoints.

Of course, that doesn't mean the people on the line know that.
There are 13 types of acceptible IDs the TSA themselves have chosen, not 300,000 but 13 I'm sorry but if your job function is to check IDs and someone can't recognize 13 different forms of IDs then they should be sent back to the fry basket job from which they came.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by ryan182
There are 13 types of acceptible IDs the TSA themselves have chosen, not 300,000 but 13 I'm sorry but if your job function is to check IDs and someone can't recognize 13 different forms of IDs then they should be sent back to the fry basket job from which they came.
+NE

I can't believe that the GE cards have been around for close to a year and we're still having this problem. Then again, they still have trouble recognizing NEXUS cards...

...ur tax dollars at waste...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.