Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA gathering info about radiation measurement devices for its airport screeners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA gathering info about radiation measurement devices for its airport screeners

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:13 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond

Because machines are so safe and don't emit any radiation. That's why they are looking for info to purchase wearable devices.

http://www.gsnmagazine.com/node/25384?c=cbrne_detection

“The measurements will assist the TSA in determining if the Transportation Security Officers (TSO) at selected federalized airports are exposed to ionizing radiation above minimum detectable levels, and whether any measured radiation doses approach or exceed the threshold where personnel dosimetry monitoring is required by DHS/TSA policy,” says a request for information (RFI) document made public by TSA on Dec. 29, 2011.

The full request is linked on the webpage above.

Gonna make it a bit harder to convince people how safe the machines are if the workers are wearing radiation monitors.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
It will sure have the employees guessing what's going on the day they issue them their dosimeters. Afterall, the equipment is 100% safe as they've told us time and time again. Now, the question is, will they have someone at each and every airport that is qualified to read them?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:19 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Unless the tests are conducted and the data collected and tabulated by an independent third-party, I have absolutely no trust in the results presented by the TSA.

Remember, it was the TSA that blatantly lied when it stated that Johns Hopkins University had declared the scanners as safe. Johns Hopkins did no such thing, but the TSA feels free to continue lying through its teeth by stating the university did.

Anyone want to make a wager that the TSA says that every single measurement devices showed that the scanners are completely safe and totally harmless?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:51 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by tom911
It will sure have the employees guessing what's going on the day they issue them their dosimeters. Afterall, the equipment is 100% safe as they've told us time and time again. Now, the question is, will they have someone at each and every airport that is qualified to read them?
"Is it safe?" Reminds me if the line from "MarathonMan"
Old Jan 7, 2012, 3:13 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
...Anyone want to make a wager that the TSA says that every single measurement devices showed that the scanners are completely safe and totally harmless?
An unscrupulous person could set up a company making plastic badges (~$5.00 per thousand) labeled "X-ray dosimeter" and sell them for $150 each. Nevermind, no one would do that.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 4:35 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev

Anyone want to make a wager that the TSA says that every single measurement devices showed that the scanners are completely safe and totally harmless?
That is easily done! Give the badges to the BDOs, TDCs and Exit Lane watchers. Mission accomplished!

See comrades there is no rads, it is safe like we tell you. Now go on and get on the plane it leaves for ....
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Flahusky
That is easily done! Give the badges to the BDOs, TDCs and Exit Lane watchers. Mission accomplished!

See comrades there is no rads, it is safe like we tell you. Now go on and get on the plane it leaves for ....
+1 Hazardous or hardship duty pays, LOL ?

Now the other questions, if not previously answered by TSA themselves - let's hope that they continuously inspect them machines on a regular/periodic (should really be a daily) basis for their own health & safety sakes as well as those around them. And, that it is calibrated properly & records are kept - I wonder if OSHA will step in if claims started coming in.

It's not going to harm or kill anyone in a matter of days or even weeks or months .... but, over the years, hmmmm - it's cumulative and on top of other exposures for health or natural reasons - them blue shirts will find out about the effects way, way down the road when it's too late.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
“Employees get nervous about possible hazards and raise a stink about it,” this expert noted. He said his company has sold many dosimetry devices in the wake of the Fukushima reactor disaster in Japan last year because employees at some U.S. companies had become overly worried about radiation exposure.

Now it's those darned overly worried employees. About time, I say.

When I asked one TSA employee during an opt-out at SEA where his dosimeter was, he replied quite sincerely "I wish we had them."

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Now the other questions, if not previously answered by TSA themselves - let's hope that they continuously inspect them machines on a regular/periodic (should really be a daily) basis for their own health & safety sakes as well as those around them...
Continuous as the article claims? Not even continual but continuous? I see no "transparent" evident of that unless damage-control press releases are included.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+1 Hazardous or hardship duty pays, LOL ?

Now the other questions, if not previously answered by TSA themselves - let's hope that they continuously inspect them machines on a regular/periodic (should really be a daily) basis for their own health & safety sakes as well as those around them. And, that it is calibrated properly & records are kept - I wonder if OSHA will step in if claims started coming in.

It's not going to harm or kill anyone in a matter of days or even weeks or months .... but, over the years, hmmmm - it's cumulative and on top of other exposures for health or natural reasons - them blue shirts will find out about the effects way, way down the road when it's too late.
That's not too far from the truth. The Federal government does allow for "premium pay" and exposure to hazards is one category. I can't imagine they would do this, because it would be very difficult to sell the idea to the public (i.e.: lie) about the "safety" of the Cancer Boxes if all the clerks were wearing dosimeters and receiving hazard pay. They would also have to change the USAJobs vacancy notices to state the premium pay requirement.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Fredd
When I asked one TSA employee during an opt-out at SEA where his dosimeter was, he replied quite sincerely "I wish we had them."
LOL, I know ... dosimeter aren't cheap and then there's the record-keeping requirements under OHSA rules.

I should go to our own dental dept and "borrow" one so that I can use it the next time we fly - nice "talking point" with the blue shirts. Give them a few in-service tips on "how to's" (Nah)

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
That's not too far from the truth ... "premium pay" and exposure to hazards is one category ... change the USAJobs vacancy notices to state the premium pay requirement.
Common, at some time! Some members of Congress, in their sub-committee hearing, is gonna want to hear the truth, the whole truth and not just some - unless HS declare it classified info ... Ah, yes - that's the term " premium pay" - haven't look at or check out those OPM or SES notices or postings in a while.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:25 am
Suspended

With TSA's turnover rate, it could be that no one person remains in the job long enough to be disabled by the effect of radiation.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by gnorwost2
With TSA's turnover rate, it could be that no one person remains in the job long enough to be disabled by the effect of radiation.
+1. Flew on Thursday and early AM today. At my airport it was "training day" with all lanes double staffed, trainer and trainee. It seems to happen almost 10% of all days. I'd bet the turnover is astronomical.

Would be interesting if (when) an employee runs his dosimeter through the luggage x-ray belt. Instant workers' comp and monthlong vacation!!!
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL, I know ... dosimeter aren't cheap and then there's the record-keeping requirements under OHSA rules.

I should go to our own dental dept and "borrow" one so that I can use it the next time we fly - nice "talking point" with the blue shirts. Give them a few in-service tips on "how to's" (Nah)

Common, at some time! Some members of Congress, in their sub-committee hearing, is gonna want to hear the truth, the whole truth and not just some - unless HS declare it classified info ... Ah, yes - that's the term " premium pay" - haven't look at or check out those OPM or SES notices or postings in a while.
I've been around Congress and been in the federal government for over 35 years. I have NEVER witnessed an agency and its top officials act so arrogantly towards Congress as the TSA. They are even arrogant in public hearings and they even argue with Congress in the media.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
No, they're not - they're gathering excuses why they can't measure radiation!

Originally Posted by cordelli
The full request is linked on the webpage above.
Gonna make it a bit harder to convince people how safe the machines are if the workers are wearing radiation monitors.

The Request for Information (RFI) is posted here:

FedBizOps:
Sources Sought Notice - RADIATION DOSIMETRY SERVICES
Solicitation Number: HSTS01-12-SSN-OSH999
Agency: Department of Homeland Security
Office: Transportation Security Administration

The third page of the synopsis is this paragraph:

TSA anticipates that the resultant solicitation will be in support of a two (2) year Blanket Purchase Agreement (BPA) not to exceed the Simplified Acquisition Threshold (SAT) of $150,000. This RFI is being conducted for market research purposes only.[emphasis added] Responding to this RFI does not guarantee an award of a contract nor does the Government guarantee that a solicitation will be issued as a result of this RFI.

The phrase "for market research purposes only" is an euphemism; it really means "to gather excuses to justify why we are not going to do it".

The 2-year purchase agreement would be for $75,000 (or less) per year. The agency has 58,000 employees. There is not enough money allocated to this RFI to do actually do anything but gather excuses.

Last edited by RatherBeOnATrain; Jan 8, 2012 at 8:07 am Reason: clicked submit too soon
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
The phrase "for market research purposes only" is an euphemism; it really means "to gather excuses to justify why we are not going to do it".

The 2-year purchase agreement would be for $75,000 (or less) per year. The agency has 58,000 employees. There is not enough money allocated to this RFI to do actually do anything but gather excuses.
Not to defend the TSA or anything, but I think that's pretty standard RFI language. They're not even to the stage of soliciting proposals or bids; an RFI is a formalized way of inquiring about the capabilities of interested contractors.

Now, the numbers on the proposed purchase agreement do give you pause, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.