Wiki Posts
Search

The TSA and 12 New Year's resolutions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
The TSA and 12 New Year's resolutions

I wish the TSA would follow through with all of the 12 New Year's resolutions listed.

http://www.elliott.org/blog/new-year...nt-do-in-2012/

I would add to the list, quit barking at the passengers in line. Maybe the TSA could use some of their billions each year to send the screeners to some course on how to deal with the public in a calm, respectful manner without the barking.

What would you add?

Last edited by HawaiiTrvlr; Jan 2, 2012 at 9:48 am
Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Wow, for once, an Elliott article I can fully agree with.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I wish the TSA would follow through with all of the 12 New Year's resolutions listed.

http://www.elliott.org/blog/new-year...nt-do-in-2012/

I would add to the list, quit barking at the passengers in line. Maybe the TSA could use some of their billions each year to send the screeners to some course on how to deal with the public in a calm, respectful manner without the barking.

What would you add?
No, I don't think 'some course' is the answer. It's clear that TSA's 'training' methods aren't particularly effective. Perhaps TSA should start 'disciplining' instead of 're-training' - and each time a TSO pleads poor training for a lapse, discipline both the TSO and the trainer who failed to do her/his job.

If our young men and women in combat zones 'forget' their training (or if their training if inadequate), it can cost lives. They do not have the luxury of 're-training' (again and again). I'm quite sure that if troops did keep screwing up because of faulty training, sooner or later the trainer would be held accountable.

Why is it any different at TSA? I think the likelihood of another terrorist attack on an airplane is statistically very low, but if it does happen, I don't want it to be because some TSO 'forgot' his/her training (again) or because some 'trainer' failed to do his/her job in the first place.

I would add 'no more 're-training' (after screwups) to Chris Elliott's list. Instead, discipline the TSO. If the TSO alleges he/she wasn't trained properly, discipline the trainer. And in all cases, the manager should also be held accountable.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
What would you add?
Abolish the chat-downs. It's only a pilot at a few airports, and yet there are already way too many stories about passengers being asked ridiculously invasive questions like how long they've lived in their house, had their job, questions about family, etc.

This statement from Elliott also bugged me a bit
Originally Posted by the article
The TSA is here for one reason, and one reason alone: To stop another 9/11 from happening.
because it is fundamentally wrong on a lot of levels and oversimplifies the causes of TSA and of TSA overreactions. IMO it would be much more accurate to say TSA exists to attempt to make the traveling public "feel safe," give the appearance that the government is visibly "doing something," and/or provide CYA against security liability for the airlines.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by the article
The TSA is here for one reason, and one reason alone: To stop another 9/11 from happening.
For a long list of reasons, another 9/11 is unlikely to occur. Something different, possibly, another use of commercial aircraft to destroy targets, far from likely. More people will probably die as a result of incidences of texting while driving than terrorism over the next few years.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
I wish the TSA would follow through with all of the 12 New Year's resolutions listed....

What would you add?
Elliott's list is 11 items too long. RadioGirl's list of what the TSA should do in 2012, as early as possible:
1. DIE.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by studentff
This statement from Elliott also bugged me a bit

Originally Posted by The Article
because it is fundamentally wrong on a lot of levels and oversimplifies the causes of TSA and of TSA overreactions.
I understand what you are saying studentff, but I also like how how Elliott used that line. He took the very talking point that TSA has repeatedly used to justify themselves, turned it around, and used it as a talking point about why TSA should be limited.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Yet another "You can't film here." video from the "Don't stop us from taking pictures." portion of the article: http://www.pixiq.com/article/tsa-cal...eckpoint-in-dc

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.