Wiki Posts
Search

Vanity Fair article

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO
Vanity Fair article

Good article. Not at all inflammatory yet very disparaging of the TSA. Author writes of spending time with Bruce Schneier at an airport.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fe...nsanity-201112
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
17 killed by "terrorists", 200 drowned in bathtubs.

People are, for the most part, incapable of rationally assessing risk, otherwise there would be a national ban on bathtubs.

Excellent article - no sensationalism, no bashing, just facts.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Should be req'd reading for anyone even thinking about getting on a plane.

Or bus.

Or train.

Or highway.

Or sport stadium.

Or anywhere else the TSA might turn up.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I thought that was a great article too. I wonder what Blogger Bob has to say about the photoshopped boarding pass.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:12 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by txrus
Should be req'd reading for anyone even thinking about getting on a plane.
Or bathtub
Or driving in the same area as deer.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I thought that was a great article too. I wonder what Blogger Bob has to say about the photoshopped boarding pass.
He'll go on about how they're spending millions of dollars on scanners that will match up with the airlines to make sure names match up.
Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that the incredibly few airline terrorsts (now dead) out there had boarding passes in the same names as their ID.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
He'll go on about how they're spending millions of dollars on scanners that will match up with the airlines to make sure names match up.
Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that the incredibly few airline terrorsts (now dead) out there had boarding passes in the same names as their ID.
I think this story is going to back fire on us. Drudge posted it this morning under the headline "Reporter skates through security with fake boarding pass". Instead of acknowledging the uselessness of their stupid security theater, the TSA will take this as an opportunity to beg for more money to buy their super secure "board pass scanners". More money down the drain and no real increase in security.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
He'll give us a two-page diatribe about how dangerous and unpatriotic it is to fake a boarding pass.

Bruce has ten million FF miles? Dude belongs here.

Mike
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:31 am

I thought that it was a great article and pointed out some facts that are largely ignored. Time to change this circus.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 7:57 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by VelvetJones
I think this story is going to back fire on us. Drudge posted it this morning under the headline "Reporter skates through security with fake boarding pass". Instead of acknowledging the uselessness of their stupid security theater, the TSA will take this as an opportunity to beg for more money to buy their super secure "board pass scanners". More money down the drain and no real increase in security.
They're already going to do that under the guise of "Precheck Trusted Traveler".
Old Dec 25, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: AAEXP, MRPLT
Taped flat to the stomach, the pancake is invisible to scanning machines.
I wonder if it's correct to infer that what's under the pancake is also invisible....
Old Dec 25, 2011, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm mailing a copy of this letter to my Senators and Representative. Not that they will read it of course, but their staffers need to.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 2:28 pm

I predict something along the lines of ...

1. Layers, layers, layers
2. Obviously, the reporter wasn't a threat to security, so there's no story here
3. New digital scanners are on the way
Old Dec 25, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: AAEXP, MRPLT
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
3. New digital scanners are on the way
It's about time! Now, I just wonder what they're going to do about all the college students...oh, and criminals too...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.