Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Pre-check- Open to all Global Entry Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:48 am
Original Poster

As of December 2011 this has now been expanded to 7 airports and is available to AA, Delta and UA Elite members by invitation only, OR by being enrolled in CBP's Global Entry. That OR is something that most news article have overlooked but is hugely important because if you haven't yet received an invitation or are Elite on a different airline you can still take advantage of the program by being enrolled in Global Entry. Best of all if you are already a Global Entry member you don't need to do anything additional to utilize the Precheck program.

Personally I think you should be enrolled in Global Entry anyways because it makes customs a breeze, and best of all you can get American Express to pay for your first 5 year membership by getting their Platinum Charge Card.

Anyone else have thoughts or opinions on this program? I have used it twice so far and it went flawlessly

Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...rt-checks.html

TSA Official site: http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/escreening.shtm
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:32 pm

So the "OR" means that I am already enrolled because I am a NEXUS card holder? Does that make it necessary at the time of making a reservation to put the NEXUS card pass id number in the space OR do they have that already. Lastly, now that I am an infrequent flyer in and out of LAS and not flying AA or DL do I still get hastled?

My partner who is Canadian and also a NEXUS card holder has said that dealing with CTSA is a whole lot better when flying within Canada. That by itself makes me look forward to the day that I finally move north of the border.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:36 pm

I enrolled in Global Entry even though I only travel abroad occasionally, entirely so that I could get in on PreCheck. You say that you have used it before, but I can't find information anywhere about using PreCheck as a Global Entry member.

If I were flying from a Pre-Check airport like Las Vegas, for instance, can I use a pre-check lane regardless of what airline I am flying on, assuming that other airlines' gates are accessible from a pre-check lane? Or do I need a ticket on one of the Pre-Check airlines?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by usafwso
So the "OR" means that I am already enrolled because I am a NEXUS card holder? Does that make it necessary at the time of making a reservation to put the NEXUS card pass id number in the space OR do they have that already. Lastly, now that I am an infrequent flyer in and out of LAS and not flying AA or DL do I still get hastled?

My partner who is Canadian and also a NEXUS card holder has said that dealing with CTSA is a whole lot better when flying within Canada. That by itself makes me look forward to the day that I finally move north of the border.
I'm not very familiar with the NEXUS program so I'm not sure if it automatically carries over. However since you're enrolled in NEXUS when you log into GOES you should be able to just apply for Global Entry and avoid most of hassle because you're already a NEXUS member.

I haven't been given any problems when flying on UA out of MIA, but that could have just been luck. The TSA website says its restricted (for now) to certain airlines out of those airports but the CBP Agent I spoke to wasn't aware of this restriction and the two times I've used it I wasn't given a problem.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mybodyismyown
I enrolled in Global Entry even though I only travel abroad occasionally, entirely so that I could get in on PreCheck. You say that you have used it before, but I can't find information anywhere about using PreCheck as a Global Entry member.

If I were flying from a Pre-Check airport like Las Vegas, for instance, can I use a pre-check lane regardless of what airline I am flying on, assuming that other airlines' gates are accessible from a pre-check lane? Or do I need a ticket on one of the Pre-Check airlines?
It mentions Global Entry members being eligible in paragraph two of the TSA site linked below.
The TSA site says that you are restricted to:

"Atlanta: T-South Checkpoint (Delta only)
Dallas: Terminal C, Checkpoint C30 (American only)
Detroit: Checkpoint 2 on the ticketing level (Delta only)
Miami: D2 Checkpoint (American only)
Las Vegas: D Gates First Class Checkpoint (American and Delta)

TSA plans to expand the TSA Pre✓™ program for eligible passengers flying on Delta out of Minneapolis International Airport and flying on American at Los Angeles International Airport in early 2012."

However flying UA out of MIA twice I haven't been given a problem, whether that was luck or the rule I don't know.

Another thing to keep in mind is that this program is in its infancy (literally not even 3 months old) and over the coming months and especially over the next year I'm sure there will be quite a few airlines and airports added.

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/escreening.shtm
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
As a NEXUS card holder, according to this I am eligible:

TSA is partnering with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) as well as U.S. air carriers to test this pre-flight screening concept. Certain frequent flyers from Delta Air Lines, American Airlines and certain members of CBP's Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS who are U.S. citizens are eligible to participate.
But according to this I must be on certain airlines and using one of only five gates in the country (at this time):

Eligible participants who have opted into the program should use the following checkpoints:

Atlanta: T-South Checkpoint (Delta only)
Dallas: Terminal C, Checkpoint C30 (American only)
Detroit: Checkpoint 2 on the ticketing level (Delta only)
Miami: D2 Checkpoint (American only)
Las Vegas: D Gates First Class Checkpoint (American and Delta)
Do I understand this correctly? So, if I am flying out of Las Vegas on Southwest, I am not eligible.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

But according to this I must be on certain airlines and using one of only five gates in the country (at this time):

Do I understand this correctly? So, if I am flying out of Las Vegas on Southwest, I am not eligible.
I had forgotten about this program, and when flying back from Las Vegas earlier this week in the First Class line for D Gates, the lady asked if I was Delta and I said yes then she said lets see if you're a trusted traveler and can be expedited - scanned, beeped a few extra times, and it was an entirely different experience than normal from there to the tram - I hope they continue this program.

So to answer your question - no you will not be able to use this for Southwest - different gates and security lines - although I never go anywhere but D gates so who knows.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:15 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thecloser
That OR is something that most news article have overlooked but is hugely important because if you haven't yet received an invitation or are Elite on a different airline you can still take advantage of the program by being enrolled in Global Entry.
This has always been the case-- I'm not sure why you consider it overlooked.

Personally I think you should be enrolled in Global Entry anyways because it makes customs a breeze, and best of all you can get American Express to pay for your first 5 year membership by getting their Platinum Charge Card.
Getting the a charge card with a $450 annual fee in order to save $100 probably doesn't appeal much to people who don't already have a use for the card and want to pay that.

Anyone else have thoughts or opinions on this program? I have used it twice so far and it went flawlessly
There are other threads about that, but it seems like most people have had the same experience you did.

So the "OR" means that I am already enrolled because I am a NEXUS card holder? Does that make it necessary at the time of making a reservation to put the NEXUS card pass id number in the space OR do they have that already.
You must give your PASS ID into the airline in order to be eligible; participating airlines will give you a space for this either in your profile and/or in the reservation under "Known Traveler Number".

Lastly, now that I am an infrequent flyer in and out of LAS and not flying AA or DL do I still get hastled?
You are eligible as a NEXUS member irrespective of your airline status, but you have to be traveling on a participating airline, be traveling from one of that airline's participating airports and use a PreCheck checkpoint at that airport.

I imagine it is. For travel within Canada, the CATSA used to have NEXUS only lanes (I don't know if they still have them).

As a note, non US Citizens are currently not eligible for PreCheck unless invited by an airline, even if a member of a CBP TT program; using a non-citizen's PASS ID isn't supposed to generate a PreCheck barcode.

Originally Posted by mybodyismyown
You have to give your CBP PASS ID to the airline with your SecureFlight information.

You have to be traveling on a participating airline, be traveling from one of that airline's participating airports and use a PreCheck checkpoint at that airport.

I'm not very familiar with the NEXUS program so I'm not sure if it automatically carries over. However since you're enrolled in NEXUS when you log into GOES you should be able to just apply for Global Entry and avoid most of hassle because you're already a NEXUS member.
Essentially. NEXUS members actually no longer have to apply specially for GE as all NEXUS members are now eligible so long as all 10 prints are on file.

I haven't been given any problems when flying on UA out of MIA, but that could have just been luck. The TSA website says its restricted (for now) to certain airlines out of those airports but the CBP Agent I spoke to wasn't aware of this restriction and the two times I've used it I wasn't given a problem.
I wouldn't expect CBP officers to be very familiar with this program . . .

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

You have to be traveling on a participating airline, be traveling from one of that airline's participating airports and use a PreCheck checkpoint at that airport. So if you are flying Southwest, you are currently not eligible to use PreCheck as Southwest is currently not a participant.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:16 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Current members of CBP’s Global Entry, SENTRI and NEXUS Trusted Traveler programs are automatically eligible to participate in TSA Pre✓™.

Trusted Traveler participants will need to enter their CBP-assigned PASS ID number in the “Known Traveler Number’ field when booking travel reservations. Additionally, CBP Trusted Traveler participants can add their PASS ID number to their AAdvantage® or Delta member profile to have the number automatically sent to TSA when booking reservations.

Note: It is not necessary for CBP participants to opt-in through both CBP and a participating airline. Members are automatically eligible to participate by virtue of their enrollment in the CBP qualifying program.
Seems it is true. But I don't see UA mentioned anywhere, and this has not made it to airports I use yet.???
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:07 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
When I flew out of LAS a couple of weeks ago from D I asked whether I could use the lane but was told that only an AA or DL BP would be encoded with the info and that my B6 ticket (even w/AA FF# attached) wouldn't. Didn't care that much since lines were short and LAS uses the MMW (personally care about the cancer risk about 1,000 times more than the nude photo risk).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.