Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chat Down at DTW

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by OldGoat
I suppose the inability to understand English earns you the same thing as a speech block, and that is an enhanced grope and additional paws in all of your stuff, with a special trip to a private room should the magic swab machine throw up a false positive.

But I could be wrong, maybe one of the resident TSOs can answer -- What happens if the passenger either doesn't understand English, or is unable to respond verbally to questions due to a disability?
I am flying through DTW with my non-English speaking GF in a few weeks, and we can try first hand. But I assume others would be able to try before we could.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by SirJman
I am flying through DTW with my non-English speaking GF in a few weeks, and we can try first hand. But I assume others would be able to try before we could.
Please report back if you get a screener that says "This is AMERICA. We speak english here...."
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Please report back if you get a screener that says "This is AMERICA. We speak english here...."
If my experiences at MIA are any indication (if and when this unconstitutional nonsense ends up there), they'll get upset when people don't speak ANY language other than English.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by MusicManSamwise
If my experiences at MIA are any indication (if and when this unconstitutional nonsense ends up there), they'll get upset when people don't speak ANY language other than English.
Part of the reason I said that is that I saw a CBP Officer at IAD literally screaming in the face of an elderly oriental woman one day: "you're in AMERICA now, and we ONLY speak English here. If you can't understand that, GO HOME..."

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. Thoroughly disgusting, but that's what happens when you put a badge on someone with a power trip.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:42 pm

Sorry, I mistyped a bit in my last post. I meant that MIA employees usually speak Spanish, with English as a (oftentimes very distant) second. So they'd get upset when people DIDN'T speak Spanish.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 5:13 pm
Suspended

So what happens if I just say, "that's none of your business?"
Old Dec 8, 2011, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by buyjalapenos
So what happens if I just say, "that's none of your business?"
I had no problem saying as such to lead screener [redacted partial name of non-public figure] at Fort Lauderdale (FLL) last Friday. I was going thru a secondary anyway so therefor no advantage on answering his questions on if I'm from here, where I'm going after ATL, when I'm returning etc.

Keep in mind Fort Lauderdale (FLL) has had about 10 screeners arrested for felonies over the last 2 years (including the iPad in the pants this summer), what exactly is the benefit of telling an agency that hires convicted felons how many days you'll be gone from your residence. This is of course after they ask for your driver's license.

[redacted prohibited comment on specific moderator action]

Last edited by nsx; Dec 8, 2011 at 6:36 pm
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, MR Gold
So far I've avoided the chatdown, but having a very short tolerance for idiocy I might lapse into my momentary bout of tourettes with answers like:

"where you going"

to F (have sex with) K you mother!

"how long will you be there?"

as long at the (female dog) keeps pulling the train

etc....
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: Star Gold
I'd infinitely rather read about somebody actually doing something than just fanning the flames of a bunch of like-minded people on the internet.

Before somebody self-righteously asks "WELL WHAT HAVE YOU DONE", I do put up as much resistance and civil disobedience I reasonably can, and have written many, may letters to my state representative on my hospital letterhead. I have also tried to convince others, offline.

Please, do the same, everybody. You may not realize how much influence you have over your friends, but I do slowly see the tide of public sentiment changing.

Last edited by essxjay; Dec 9, 2011 at 9:46 pm Reason: personalizing the discussion
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by cardiomd
I'd infinitely rather read about somebody actually doing something than just fanning the flames of a bunch of like-minded people on the internet.

Before somebody self-righteously asks "WELL WHAT HAVE YOU DONE", I do put up as much resistance and civil disobedience I reasonably can, and have written many, may letters to my state representative on my hospital letterhead. I have also tried to convince others, offline.

Please, do the same, everybody. You may not realize how much influence you have over your friends, but I do slowly see the tide of public sentiment changing.

"imaginary"? Perhaps, but I actually had a somewhat similar exchange with canadian customs my last trip to Toronto and they let me in anyway (dangit) so unless you know me firsthand you're not really in a position to say what a I will or will not do.

Last edited by essxjay; Dec 9, 2011 at 9:46 pm Reason: personalizing quote removed
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:21 pm

Is it an offence to lie to the TSA during these questions? For example if they ask where you are going after XXX and you say some places like Ashgabat, Chongqing, Pyongyang or some other 'exotic' place the likely have never heard of, just throw them off?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Folks,

Let's not get into the merits of fellow members responding to particular threads. Participate yourself or don't but please don't chastise others' choices. Thanks.

--------
essxjay
TS/S moderator
Old Dec 10, 2011, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
A reasonable search is one that is due to a Warrant.
Certainly, the plain language of the amendment is, at best, ambiguous on that topic. There is a logical "break", which can indeed be read to say that only searches due to warrants are "reasonable", but the courts have not read it that way. Look at all the various circumstances when an LEO can do partial searches during various kinds of stops. And the entire adminstrative search doctrine.

Last edited by RichardKenner; Dec 10, 2011 at 5:26 am
Old Dec 10, 2011, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by SirJman
Is it an offence to lie to the TSA during these questions? For example if they ask where you are going after XXX and you say some places like Ashgabat, Chongqing, Pyongyang or some other 'exotic' place the likely have never heard of, just throw them off?
Nobody knows for sure. The issue is 11 USC 1001, how broadly the courts are interpreting it at the moment and that the purpose of of the question determines whether a lie is or isn't "material".
Old Dec 10, 2011, 6:09 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
Certainly, the plain language of the amendment is, at best, ambiguous on that topic. There is a logical "break", which can indeed be read to say that only searches due to warrants are "reasonable", but the courts have not read it that way. Look at all the various circumstances when an LEO can do partial searches during various kinds of stops. And the entire adminstrative search doctrine.
Your answer clearly defines our reasonable disagreement. I believe that the clear language should determine its meaning with as little added as possible. You carry the different view, that the determinations of courts and their findings, in this case the administrative search doctrine, supersedes the actual language of the amendment.

I would propose that rather than create new constitutional law by judicial edict, that if a clarification or addition to the language is needed, it is most properly done my the amendment process, a process that is defined by the constitution itself. It is rightly more difficult to do yet at the same time a more simple process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.