Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breastmilk transport is still a hassle...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Breastmilk transport is still a hassle...

Not everywhere, MCO, for example has treated my liquid breastmilk as a routine visual search; but BWI this morning was not as on top of it.

I did as I should; asked TSA #1 for visual inspection. He mumbled something and told me to keep on moving to the scanner. So I asked TSA#2 at the scanner for the visual. She had me place the milk cooler to the side and said someone would take care of it. I was scanned and collected my things from the X-ray and waited to see who would inspect the milk. Nothing happening. So in told TSA #3 that I had milk, needed a visual inspection and my bag was back by the scanner. He retrieved the bag and asked why I wouldn't just X-ray it. I didn't say much, just that I would prefer a hand inspection of the milk (and smiling like its my job!!!). #3 took the bag to TSA #4 and 5 to discuss this. I couldn't hear the conversation. #3 then did the inspection while #4 told me that he had never seen milk transported this way (in standard breastmilk storage bags), that it was supposed to be in bottles (can you imagine 4 days of milk bottles...the bag would be huge) and that I really should just X-ray it.

So, TSA did follow to rules, but begrudgingly and while telling me I was silly for my request. Only because I have successfully done this before was I confident in my request, and defending my request. They clearly wanted it in the X-ray. Safe or not is not the issue, the regs allow hand inspection; I should not be dissuaded from requesting one.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Absolutely not! It's your choice. I would make a strongly worded complaint for their bahaviour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.