Wiki Posts
Search

Something positive about TSA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Something positive about TSA

I passed through Chicago security a few weeks ago. I normally carry a tiny little blade-less Swiss army knife. It has a screwdriver, miniature scissors, a beer bottle opener, and some other odds and ends - but no blade. Designed for travelers.

I've learned to take it out of my luggage and leave it loose in the tray so TSA can see it and verify for themselves it really is blade-less. We went through the usual verifying ritual.

This time however, when I got to the gate I realized I had missed picking it up out of the tray. Argg. Back to the security area, without much hope. The thing only cost $5, but is really handy and has some sentimental value. All its tools have seen quite a bit of use. And I was at the beginning of an overseas trip....

The supervisor at the end listened to my tale of woe. I expected him to just shake me off. But he immediately went to the belts and started checking all the trays stacked there. Then he went to a couple cabinets and checked them. Finally, in the third cabinet he checked, there it was!

I sincerely thanked him. Then mentioned I'd say good things about TSA for his help. His face lit up, and he said "PLEASE DO!". So - I am.

Romelle

PS - now waiting for flaming. Good thing my computer is asbestos coated.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Romelle
I passed through Chicago security a few weeks ago. I normally carry a tiny little blade-less Swiss army knife. It has a screwdriver, miniature scissors, a beer bottle opener, and some other odds and ends - but no blade. Designed for travelers.

I've learned to take it out of my luggage and leave it loose in the tray so TSA can see it and verify for themselves it really is blade-less. We went through the usual verifying ritual.

This time however, when I got to the gate I realized I had missed picking it up out of the tray. Argg. Back to the security area, without much hope. The thing only cost $5, but is really handy and has some sentimental value. All its tools have seen quite a bit of use. And I was at the beginning of an overseas trip....

The supervisor at the end listened to my tale of woe. I expected him to just shake me off. But he immediately went to the belts and started checking all the trays stacked there. Then he went to a couple cabinets and checked them. Finally, in the third cabinet he checked, there it was!

I sincerely thanked him. Then mentioned I'd say good things about TSA for his help. His face lit up, and he said "PLEASE DO!". So - I am.

Romelle

I'm glad you got your knife back. However, it is not remotely in the same ballpark as the full body sexual molestation they perform on people, and the resultant extra time and expense it costs our families to avoid it by alternate means of travel. I'd be willing to trade that for small lost or stolen items any day.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I'm sure that somebody opens or holds the door for people being admitted to prison. Does that small act of kindness make up for the fact that the people are going into a very unpleasant place? I don't think so.

Similarly, the fact that TSA employees actually returned a little tool -- rather than stealing it or throwing it away -- does not counterbalance in any meaningful way the fact that the TSA is a disgrace of an agency that obliterates the constitution and desperately needs to be scaled back in size or disbanded entirely.

Bruce
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I'm sure that somebody opens or holds the door for people being admitted to prison. Does that small act of kindness make up for the fact that the people are going into a very unpleasant place? I don't think so.

Similarly, the fact that TSA employees actually returned a little tool -- rather than stealing it or throwing it away -- does not counterbalance in any meaningful way the fact that the TSA is a disgrace of an agency that obliterates the constitution and desperately needs to be scaled back in size or disbanded entirely.

Bruce
^^ *1000 to the bolded text above.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:17 pm

I see nothing wrong in acknowledging that there are individuals working for TSA who do good things. (TSA sure acknowledges it frequently on its own blog.)

The main criticisms of TSA here are about structure and policy. Even the personal criticisms are more along the lines of "why does TSA allow these individuals to act this way?", which is actually a question about TSA more than the individual.

Acknowledging the kindness of strangers, regardless of who employs them, is always a good thing.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
You'll get no flames from me, either. When a person does something right, they should be acknoledged as doing something right, no matter how wrong the rest of their behavior might be.

TSOs across the USA hold doors for people, help travelers find lost items, direct lost people to their destinations within the airport, and say all manner of pleasantries to people such as "Good morning," or "Did you have a nice birthday?" on a daily basis.

The facts that these same TSOs are engaged in the wholesale stripping of Constitutional rights and freedoms from millions of people per day, that some of them are engaged in criminal activity while on the job, and that some of them are so poor at their jobs that they don't recognize common valid IDs or that they refuse to accept that photography is a permitted activity, does not detract from the fact that many of them perform small acts of kindness, compassion, generosity, thoughtfullness, and friendliness every day.

It's like the old saying - even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
The thing only cost $5,
There 'ya go. If it was an iPhone it would end up on eBay.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
Then he went to a couple cabinets and checked them. Finally, in the third cabinet he checked, there it was!
Did you see any extra dignity or civil liberties on the shelf?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
^No flame from me, thanks for sharing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.