Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA remark about Flyertalk in CO/United area @ DTW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA remark about Flyertalk in CO/United area @ DTW

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:32 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Reminder...Practical Issues please

opinions, discussion etc belong in the Discussion/Debate side of the forum..much appreciated...

squeakr

co Mod TS/S
Old Nov 5, 2011, 2:57 pm

> What was the comment? Was the whole airport warned?

I do not recall the exact words. It was a snide non-sequitur.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by dranz
one of them commented...
Cheeky ones like that would get an earful if they're away from their official duties at a checkpoint. They might even be baggage screeners or portal-guarders with no way to recognize you and retaliate later.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by thaliajen
a TSA agent grabbed my roller board bag and said "Uh Oh!" and grimaced. He waved another guy over to look at my bag (I was praying I didn't have to repack it) but then I noticed they were just looking at my yellow Flyertalk tag.

So the TSA worker tells me that they were "warned" about Flyertalk b/c apparently we "hate the TSA". Both TSA agents told me that Flyertalkers are angry with the TSA and they were warned about us.
Unprofessional on their part, and very repugnant. Whether they like it or not, the First, Fourth and Fifth (due process) Amendments still apply.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311
Actually, that's exactly the way other countries with "real" security do it. Instead of putting you and everyone else through a full body scan - after making you take off your shoes - they just ask you some questions and see if you respond in an odd way.

I think they also let you keep your bottled water.
No, you are misinformed.

'They' don't ask us any questions. I have travelled weekly around much of Europe and Asia for years and have not been asked any such questions, not even when flying a US carrier to the US. Even then, it is inane things such as 'what did you purchase in the airport today'. And let me remind you that those questions posed to travellers flying to the US on US carriers are at the 'request' of the US...

Yes, most countries other than the US are sensible enough not to play the shoe game, not to use scanners, and even in some cases to permit liquids, but don't tell us that we play the new TSA 20 questions game, because that is entirely false.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:45 am

I had the TSA @ FLL make a comment about my Flyertalk Tag and ever sine then have removed it from my bag and I have no idea where it is anymore.

The agent said that they were warned about Fter's as they hate the TSA and want nothing more than to see another failure of security or worse.

I was asked if I new anything about that and my response was honest, yes there are some who are not enthused with TSA policy/procedure, I try and be as balanced as possible but I do not agree with every TSA policy/procedure either as I am sure that you do not as well.

Than answer was apparently acceptable to the three stripper who questioned me and he wished me a nice flight.

I removed the tag when I got home and never bothered with it since, too much trouble IMHO. I prefer to be under the radar when it comes to TSA the less interaction, the better as TSA can make ones life miserable if they truly want.

Dan
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by dan1431
I had the TSA @ FLL make a comment about my Flyertalk Tag and ever sine then have removed it from my bag and I have no idea where it is anymore.

The agent said that they were warned about Fter's as they hate the TSA and want nothing more than to see another failure of security or worse.

I was asked if I new anything about that and my response was honest, yes there are some who are not enthused with TSA policy/procedure, I try and be as balanced as possible but I do not agree with every TSA policy/procedure either as I am sure that you do not as well.

Than answer was apparently acceptable to the three stripper who questioned me and he wished me a nice flight.

I removed the tag when I got home and never bothered with it since, too much trouble IMHO. I prefer to be under the radar when it comes to TSA the less interaction, the better as TSA can make ones life miserable if they truly want.

Dan
Bolding mine: I have never seen a more shocking, un-American and spiteful comment on FT, and I spend way too much time here. There is not a single person on here who wants another 9/11.

Mike
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
Bolding mine: I have never seen a more shocking, un-American and spiteful comment on FT, and I spend way too much time here. There is not a single person on here who wants another 9/11.

Mike

I agree...but it was a while back and I was happy to walk away unscathed which IMHO is far more important than pointing out to the TSA how un-American their statements can be.

Though I do agree it was very un-American.

Dan
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:32 pm

If TSA leadership reads here, I would hope that this thread would lead to some internal investigation and training.

Then again, if TSA leadership reads here, there has been much posted by their own staff members over the years which should have led to the same.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
But brief questioning of travelers and analyzing behavior has proven quite effective.
I've seen no evidence of the TSA's Behavior Detection voodoo practitioners curtailing a threat to commercial aviation. Have you?

I mean, we could just eliminate all security entirely and have planes work like trains, but then we'd have a lot more planes crashing into things. So clearly NO security isn't the answer.
Nobody here is advocating the elimination of security, just the theatre.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by N965VJ
I've seen no evidence of the TSA's Behavior Detection voodoo practitioners curtailing a threat to commercial aviation. Have you?
Rather, seek out evidence that shows how it is a flop, which it is.

I've seen evidence of such "security" voodoo artists flopping in the US and other countries where the TSA tries to get involved at airports.

The TSA's Behavior Detection voodoo "security" actors have actually been present at airports -- including US airports -- where government-identified terrorists, cleared by the TSA, were allowed to fly, sometimes repeatedly, after flying out of an airport staffed with TSA-wanted-and-approved interrogators.

When the far more professional CBP clerks are failing to show a high degree of effectiveness to reliably identify terrorists by way of questioning passengers, it takes faith in the tooth fairy to believe that the TSA will be doing any better than even that.

Indeed. ^^
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
They have both?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by thaliajen
Not sure if I should post this here or some other Forum but I fly CO out of DTW every 4 weeks and go through security for CO/United flights there. As the planes say United and this affects United & CO security area at DTW, I chose this section.

I had a 6:05am flight (1 of 3 to get me to Anchorage today) and going through security, a TSA agent grabbed my roller board bag and said "Uh Oh!" and grimaced. He waved another guy over to look at my bag (I was praying I didn't have to repack it) but then I noticed they were just looking at my yellow Flyertalk tag. I got that when I was chosen by Flyertalk to compete 3 years ago in the 1st Competitours trip to Europe. As Flyertalk picked up the tab for a week in Europe, I figured I'd show my loyalty by using the tags we were given. I often meet up with people in hotels, airports, clubs, etc., who see the tag and want to chat. I've never heard a negative remark, at least not to my memory. And no one comments on my CO Plat Elite tag. So today was just odd.

So the TSA worker tells me that they were "warned" about Flyertalk b/c apparently we "hate the TSA". Both TSA agents told me that Flyertalkers are angry with the TSA and they were warned about us. I explained that Flyertalk was a travel website w/ areas for hotel & airline loyalty programs, etc., and that I'd never heard of this TSA business before. He was nice about it all, but kept shaking his head as he looked at the tag. He insisted that there was "trouble with FT" and that Flyertalk "hates the TSA" but wouldn't elaborate.

I'm SO confused. So Flyertalk hates TSA at DTW? Just in the United/CO security area or in the other terminal as well? Is this state, nation or worldwide? I told him that he must've got the name wrong but he insisted- Flyertalkers were some sort of trouble and my yellow tag was the whole reason this "chat" began.

Honestly, I only kept that tag on the bag b/c the bag has lasted longer than any other, AND b/c I love running into other Flyertalkers. I asked him if it was a Continental/United thing as we have a separate terminal from Delta @ DTW where it's mostly CO/United and Star Alliance airlines, among others. He didn't answer, told me to have a good trip and returned to work. Has anyone else heard of this? Anyone else from the CO/United security area at DTW?

Long, long day with 3 flights and a very short connection at Seattle where we ran the airport then caught a train to terminal H (or was it "N"?) and barely made it. But that exchange, at around 5 this morning still has me wondering. IS Flyertalk in some "feud" with TSA as my new TSA friend claims, or is it just some TSA guy in the United/CO security area who is confusing FT with someone else?
Thank you for your post.

As a long-time TS/S and United Airlines forum lurker, I have to confess that I would be embarrassed to affix a FlyerTalk tag onto my bag(s).

About three years ago, I was in a line at a Chicago RCC. The reason there was a line was because someone was arguing about drink tickets. From what I gathered, this person was in F to Canada, thinking he was entitled to drink tickets (which was not the case). Noticed on this person's rollaboard an FT tag. Even though I knew neither of the people involved, I was thoroughly embarrassed to be a FlyerTalker.

I have had discussions with some United people about experiences with people who sound like FlyerTalkers. Those conversations reinforced my commitment to staying thoroughly anonymous. I can honestly say I would be embarrassed to introduce myself as a FlyerTalker to someone to an airline or even the TSA.

More about the OP's post.....

The reasons that FT is on the TSA's radar are several:
1. There have been people who have claimed to be with the TSA, and have posted some information that has been helpful and that has crossed the line of comfort with the TSA. Thus, many posts in this forum by people who have claimed to be with the TSA have edited, or completely deleted, their posts.

There's a story that one TSA person in California (I'm intentionally being vague for more reasons than one) who seemed to be genuinely trying to help, but in doing so, revealed some SSI (Security Sensitive Information, stuff that's not classified, but the TSA doesn't want out), and there was talk that even HQ was made aware of this.

2. Several people here have posted on the TSA's blog and have cited Flyertalk many times. I have never posted there, but having read some of the comments, it's easy to see that Blogger Bob is not a fan of FlyerTalk.

3. Flyertalk was credited in numerous media reports over "National Opt-Out Day" last year (remember that?!). If nothing else did, that certainly introduced the TSA to FlyerTalk.

Personally, I have talked to a couple of people, let's say higher than supervisors, at the TSA. There was never a moment when I would even think about revealing what I have been reading for the past seven years or so. The conversations were highly political, and I don't think a darn bit of good that came out of it, other than learning first-hand that the TSA is a bureaucratic nightmare.

After reading some of the truly laughable "first-hand accounts" of some FlyerTalkers on this board, I often think to myself "who thinks this crap up?" and would I want to be associated in any way with this kind of person or people? Not a chance.

I am grateful to learn from some pretty thick-skinned people who say they are TSA (I don't take anyone's self-proclaimed ID on the internet seriously) who have given opinions, direction and hints of things to come.

But it's EXTREMELY tough to mine for those nuggets wading through the bravado, hyperbole and sometimes flat-out hatred of people in this forum.

I admire anyone's intestinal fortitude to wear an FT tag nowadays.

Safe travels.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by mikeef
There is not a single person on here who wants another 9/11.
Agreed. It speaks volumes (assuming it's true) that TSA has a training powerpoint slide somewhere that needs to demonize FT'ers and turn us into the enemy. it's enough that they demonize the flying public and treat us all like the enemy. And then invent a special section of Hades for FT'ers.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Where can I get an FT tag? I will proudly sport one on my carry on. I'd be glad to educate a TSO on why we hate some of the things they do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.