Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

White House Proposes Raising TSA fee for funding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

http://www.cleveland.com/business/in...nes_chall.html
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:59 pm

Fees should never be used to close budget gaps. They should be used to help pay for security. Apparently the TSA is sucking too much money from the budget paying for a lot of fancy machines that never once stopped a terrorist.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There is already one other thread about this very topic. Perhaps someone can post a link to it and then get them merged.

I would rather that the TSA cut costs rather than receive additional funds from any source. Too much waste on the TSA already.

Eliminate the TSA ID/boarding pass checks and the TSA interrogations of passengers, and there's some easy money to save .... unless the TSA is meant to remain an expensive workfare workfarce as it is.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:31 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by GUWonder
There is already one other thread about this very topic. Perhaps someone can post a link to it and then get them merged.

I would rather that the TSA cut costs rather than receive additional funds from any source. Too much waste on the TSA already.

Eliminate the TSA ID/boarding pass checks and the TSA interrogations of passengers, and there's some easy money to save .... unless the TSA is meant to remain an expensive workfare workfarce as it is.
Agreed! And donate those NoS's to hospitals for tax deductions
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
Agreed! And donate those NoS's to hospitals for tax deductions
They serve no medical diagnostic purpose that I knw of. Why not donate them to scrap heap for recycling?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: SSSSS
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
They serve no medical diagnostic purpose that I knw of. Why not donate them to scrap heap for recycling?
I beg your pardon! These are sensitive security equipment purchased with government funds without limit. They should be used at least for a purpose consistent with their agency.

I propose anchors. Boat anchors. They will help keep boats from drifting and make ports and harbors safer.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by greentips
I propose anchors. Boat anchors. They will help keep boats from drifting and make ports and harbors safer.
That is an excellent idea! Creating an artificial reef wuld also be a good use of them.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
They would be useful as a legitimate alternative in any situation in which a physical strip search would be legally permitted. Perhaps they should be donated to prisons.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 7:32 pm

No general fund tax dollars for TSA. Should be 100% funded by fees.

And the fees should not be included in the ticket price.

Set up a kiosk forcing every passenger to buy a stamp to put on their ticket prior to going through the checkpoint.

Hit up a family of 4 travelling for the holidays with a $40 (or whatever it is -- I think it would be $20 today with current rates) security checkpoint tax/fee and watch the complaints start rolling in!

Oh, and allow airports to select their own screening providers. Think transparency and competition would drive higher levels of customer server at lower prices?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.