Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

NYPD claims to be ready to shoot down a plane!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44666835...ity/?GT1=43001

The New York Police Department could take down a plane if necessary, Commissioner Ray Kelly said Sunday, describing the counter-terror measures he implemented after the Sept. 11 attacks.

Kelly decided the city couldn't rely on the federal government alone after the attacks, he told CBS' "60 Minutes".

And so he set about creating the NYPD's own counter-terrorism unit, which is prepared for multiple scenarios and could even take down a plane, he said.

"I knew that we had to supplement, buttress our defenses of this city," Kelly told "60 Minutes".

"We couldn't rely on the federal government alone. I believed that we had to create our own counter-terrorism capacity, indeed our own counter-terrorism division. And, that plan was put into effect fairly rapidly," he added.

Kelly didn't divulge details about the NYPD's ability to take down a plane but said "obviously this would be in a very extreme situation."

Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne later added that "NYPD Aviation has weapons that could be deployed with that capability," the New York Post reported Monday - snip

I for one feel LESS safe knowing the NYPD both as the means and feels empowered to shoot down a plane.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:32 pm

.50 calibre gun that they can fit to a helicopter. Even if you ignore the unlikelihood of such a gun bringing down anything bigger than a Cessna you still have the wee problem that they have to get it's use authorised, dragged out of it's cupboard and fitted to to the helicopter before they can actually shoot at anything
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:40 pm

A wee small prediction. This will not end well.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Darkumbra
A wee small prediction. This will not end well.
Unfortunately, you are probably correct.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by MKEbound
[url]
Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne later added that "NYPD Aviation has weapons that could be deployed with that capability," the New York Post reported Monday - snip
Hopefully said weapon is a really large circus cannon that can be used to shoot Michael Bloomberg out of it. That would solve two problems at the same time.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alanR
.50 calibre gun that they can fit to a helicopter. Even if you ignore the unlikelihood of such a gun bringing down anything bigger than a Cessna you still have the wee problem that they have to get it's use authorised, dragged out of it's cupboard and fitted to to the helicopter before they can actually shoot at anything
Let alone hit a jet moving at 450+ mph.

The entire segment was incredibly disturbing.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps there are still some former B-17 waist gunners alive who could do the job?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:05 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnorwost2
The entire segment was incredibly disturbing.
That sums it up. I love how 60 Minutes ignored the CIA issue.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
It's been leaked before that the NYPD do have a Barrett .50 caliber but the Chief is delusional if he thinks they can hit a moving (3 dimensional) target and most certainly from not from a helicopter.

Disinformation for public consumption.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:36 pm

Maybe a coupla SAM's from the black market. Or even an RPG fired from the right place.

Most likely they would try to do it with massive doses of BS spewed from the pols.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:38 pm

i heard they captured the surviving geese that hit sully's plane. they can be deployed anytime...
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Apparently they have applied to build sentry towers at every Dunkin' Donuts.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by MKEbound
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44666835...ity/?GT1=43001

Kelly decided the city couldn't rely on the federal government alone after the attacks, he told CBS' "60 Minutes".

And so he set about creating the NYPD's own counter-terrorism unit, which is prepared for multiple scenarios and could even take down a plane, he said.

"I knew that we had to supplement, buttress our defenses of this city," Kelly told "60 Minutes".

"We couldn't rely on the federal government alone. I believed that we had to create our own counter-terrorism capacity, indeed our own counter-terrorism division. And, that plan was put into effect fairly rapidly," he added.
Okay, the bit about not relying on the feds, yeah, I get that. But, the rest? Wow. Paranoid much?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
"Buttress our defenses of this city"? Does he think he's living in Troy, or Camelot, or Jericho? Why doesn't he build a stone wall; Manhattan already has a de-facto moat around it.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by VelvetJones
Hopefully said weapon is a really large circus cannon that can be used to shoot Michael Bloomberg out of it. That would solve two problems at the same time.
Poetic justice in it's entirety. Well played!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.