Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

PBS Newshour: Drastic Changes in Airport Security After 9/11 Stir Controversy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

Here's the link to a nice segment done by PBS NewsHour correspondent Tom Bearden:

PBS Newshour: Drastic Changes in Airport Security After 9/11 Stir Controversy (Air Date: Sept. 8, 2011)
Old Sep 9, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Thanks for the link. It was a thorough report, but I wish they also would have covered the Bierfeldt case and the TSA using airport checkpoints as a dragnet for crimes that are not related to safety.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The approaching 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks has only increased my disgust for the way the government continues to manipulate that tragic event for its own selfish objectives, and how the country at large still hasn't woken up to the reality that they are being subjected to absurd, unnecessary, and in some cases, unconstitutional measures that are, at some point, going to prove to be ultimately futile.

There will be another successful terrorist attack against the United States on our soil. All the money (we don't have) in the world, all the misguided efforts notwithstanding, a dedicated terrorist will succeed at some point in the future. 100% security is simply not attainable, and unlike the rest of the developed world, we haven't stopped our quest for that magic silver bullet that doesn't exist. In the meantime, we're spending money on a wide range of wasteful things, ranging from ineffective airport screening devices to apparently unending conflicts overseas, as if it is creating a cocoon of protection.

Unbelieveably sad
Old Sep 11, 2011, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by halls120
The approaching 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks has only increased my disgust for the way the government continues to manipulate that tragic event for its own selfish objectives, and how the country at large still hasn't woken up to the reality that they are being subjected to absurd, unnecessary, and in some cases, unconstitutional measures that are, at some point, going to prove to be ultimately futile.

There will be another successful terrorist attack against the United States on our soil. All the money (we don't have) in the world, all the misguided efforts notwithstanding, a dedicated terrorist will succeed at some point in the future. 100% security is simply not attainable, and unlike the rest of the developed world, we haven't stopped our quest for that magic silver bullet that doesn't exist. In the meantime, we're spending money on a wide range of wasteful things, ranging from ineffective airport screening devices to apparently unending conflicts overseas, as if it is creating a cocoon of protection.

Unbelieveably sad
Well said.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 2:20 pm

There will be another successful terrorist attack against the United States on our soil.
Drain the swamp and there will be no more mosquitoes
Old Sep 11, 2011, 2:31 pm

Unbelieveably sad
^
Old Sep 11, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR

Unbelieveably sad
I agree with you.

Unfortunately, the Washington Post editorial staff disgustingly does not:

There was in fact no large-scale assault on personal freedoms — no equivalent to the Supreme Court-sanctioned roundup of Japanese Americans, no repeat of the Red Scare infringements on freedom of speech and association. The Patriot Act enabled a modest, mostly court-supervised expansion of law enforcement vigilance. When there were excesses in the earliest, most panicked years, there was self-correction, with pushes from within the system (the Justice Department inspector general, for example), from members of Congress of both parties and from unfettered media and public interest groups.
(emphasis added)

Link
Old Sep 11, 2011, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I agree with you.

Unfortunately, the Washington Post editorial staff disgustingly does not:
I blame the hippy lettuce.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by n4zhg
I blame the hippy lettuce.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:05 pm

Unbelieveably sad
It is incredibly politicized. That's wny I get so furious over all these memorials. It is pervasive phoniness. Now everybody is jumping on the phoniness bandwagon.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Yes, but that kind of approach will never work, because:

1) Americans would first have to abandon their simplistic, comfortable prejudices, such as "they attacked us because they hate our freedoms," and replace them with more nuanced views admitting that "they" attacked "us" because "we" are killing "them" and their children, and ultimately of course letting go of the whole artificial "they" and "us" distinction.

2) The U.S. would have to stop acting as a terror state itself, and stop supporting terror states -- in other words, replace greed and special interests such as the Israel lobby with actual morality as the basis for its foreign policy.

It's doubtful that a nation founded on slavery and genocide is capable of such actions.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:12 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
It's doubtful that a nation founded on slavery and genocide is capable of such actions.
^

Read an article earlier tonight that would get me dumped straight to OMNI if I posted it here, but stated a similar case. I fear for the future of this great nation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.