Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Liquid ban should be repealed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:21 pm

So I flew halfway across America, across the Atlantic, almost the width of Europe, didn't "hydrate" and nothing cracked. Hmmm. Maybe this is an individual problem, not a general one. Maybe "hydration" is restricted to people with a certain genetic makeup, while the general public can just go by body signals. My thought, though, is that if I hear that signal, I'll wave down a flight attendant and say "Excuse me, I feel a little dry, may I perhaps have some water?" If she charges me, big whoop. Not like I'm on that tight a budget if I can afford to fly. Not everyone has a flight budget, you know. Everyone here seems quite able to buy plane tickets, so I guess we don't have a big participation of rank paupers on FT./
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Well this went way offtopic than what I intended. The liquid ban is silly anyway and has nothing to do with hydration or something, just some silly thing with the security theatre.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: Independent Libertarian
Does Anyone Know?

My Sister will soon be traveling with a friend and had the idea of going thru security without anything and then waiting for her friend to send their carryon thru. But when she asked me if the one baggie with 3.4 oz had to be sent thru by each pax I didn't know. If so she will take only the baggie.
So I ask the Forum, what say you?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bajajoes
But when she asked me if the one baggie with 3.4 oz had to be sent thru by each pax I didn't know. If so she will take only the baggie.
So I ask the Forum, what say you?
I'm not sure I understand your question. Each passenger is allowed on quart-sized bag, regardless of whether they are traveling alone or in a group. Your sister's choices are to bring 1 or no bags through, but she cannot have her traveling companion bring two liquid bags through the checkpoint.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: Independent Libertarian
That Clears It uP.

Originally Posted by 14940674
I'm not sure I understand your question. Each passenger is allowed on quart-sized bag, regardless of whether they are traveling alone or in a group. Your sister's choices are to bring 1 or no bags through, but she cannot have her traveling companion bring two liquid bags through the checkpoint.
==================================================
OK, Thanks, I could have been clearer but you've answered it.
When she goes thru she will take her baggie/3.4oz lqds and her friend will wait until she is ready to recieve the rest of the carryons.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Domestic flights in Japan have no ban. They will scan your bottle, then give it back to you.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:17 am

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
Domestic flights in Japan have no ban. They will scan your bottle, then give it back to you.
They have a special machine at every x-ray machine, with a slot for plastic bottles and a slot for metal bottles/cans. Put on the bottle and you get a green light after a couple of seconds. Easy.

Also no need to take your shoes and belts off and no ID check is required. Just swipe your e-ticket or IC card at the start of security and in you go. All very civilised.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Nogbad
They have a special machine at every x-ray machine, with a slot for plastic bottles and a slot for metal bottles/cans. Put on the bottle and you get a green light after a couple of seconds. Easy.

Also no need to take your shoes and belts off and no ID check is required. Just swipe your e-ticket or IC card at the start of security and in you go. All very civilised.
I totally agree. The way flying should be.
I have gone from curb to gate in 5 minutes in Kobe, and 10 minutes in ITM. Haneda is bigger, so maybe 20.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:37 pm

Programs: ICHotels, Qantas FF, Enrich
New scanning technology in 2012 - liquids to fly again

Hi,

Thought that this article might interest you all:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226200218846

Looks like it will be possible to fly with liquids with a volume that is greater than 100mls again soon, at least from Australia, not sure about where to though.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:01 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by gwain6
Hi,

Thought that this article might interest you all:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226200218846

Looks like it will be possible to fly with liquids with a volume that is greater than 100mls again soon, at least from Australia, not sure about where to though.
^ Yeah, just saw a one-line mention on the (Sydney) evening news. Seems to be just int'l departures from Australia (noting that Aus domestic doesn't have any liquid restrictions anyway). Whatdya wanna bet flights from Oz to the US still have restrictions?

Now if they'd just do something about the stupid policy in HKG of confiscating liquids on the jetway for Aussie-bound flights under a bogus claim that Australian law prohibits liquids over 100 ml on international flights.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:18 am

Programs: ICHotels, Qantas FF, Enrich
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
^ Yeah, just saw a one-line mention on the (Sydney) evening news. Seems to be just int'l departures from Australia (noting that Aus domestic doesn't have any liquid restrictions anyway). Whatdya wanna bet flights from Oz to the US still have restrictions?

Now if they'd just do something about the stupid policy in HKG of confiscating liquids on the jetway for Aussie-bound flights under a bogus claim that Australian law prohibits liquids over 100 ml on international flights.
Agree, would love a standard policy across all airports. Looking forward to being able to bring decent bottles of wine with me when I travel, if I can't pack them that is.

One downside is, if they do change the rules about flights into Australia, we will need to start carrying our DF to gate in Singapore.

Last edited by gwain6; Nov 20, 2011 at 1:30 am
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Whatdya wanna bet flights from Oz to the US still have restrictions?
There is no question about that. Israel has no restrictions about bringing liquids onto flights. We can carry them through Security and board airplanes headed to any country in the world -- except the US.

For US-bound flights there is a check of baggage at the gate in which the only thing that they are looking for are liquids. The airlines, themselves, carry out this check in order to comply with US law.

(I don't know if this applies to El Al or only the three U.S. companies, Delta, Continental, and US which fly to Israel.)

European airlines allow us to bring liquids on board when departing from TLV but if we have a connecting flight in Europe they will be confiscated.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
At this point, the reason liquids can be brought through is the exact same as taking your shoes off, removing your computer... SECURITY THEATER. Plain and simple. Until enough of the country and/or Congress can tell the TSA once and for all that Security Theater isn't making us safe and is simply a waste of money, these things won't change. Opt-out day was barely a blip on the radar.

Ron Paul getting up and arguing against these procedures, as well as NoS, invasive pat-downs... is not enough. We need numerous Dems and Repubs in both Houses to get up, and that requires a concerted effort by FFs and not alike; FTers and not alike.

Spread the word: TSA must go! We need smart security that keeps us safe!
Could not agree more! And why do they often act like a-holes? Kindness goes a long way...

I have to admit though, I tend to get pissed at the terrorists every time I have to remove my shoes, or throw out a perfectly good bottle of water, or stand in a ridiculously long security line... ignorant fools.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: too many of the few that are left
Originally Posted by traveltuna
I have to admit though, I tend to get pissed at the terrorists every time I have to remove my shoes, or throw out a perfectly good bottle of water, or stand in a ridiculously long security line... ignorant fools.
Your anger is misplaced.

Our reaction to a single day's events over ten years ago causes your shoe removal, wasted time and restricted belongings, not to mention threats to your privacy and health. Complain to those who are supposed to represent your interests. They are to blame for this—not a bunch of tunnel-visioned zealots whose last competent assault team killed themselves off in 2005 (London).

That day's events broke the very paradigm which allowed them to occur. Passengers now routinely coordinate to control, not comply with, in-flight threats. Cockpit door hardening means attacking pilots may compromise acquisition of a functioning aircraft.

Certainly the future will hold new terrorist agendas, groups and actions, but none of the charade you rightfully dismiss will prevent them.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Airports against lifting the liquid ban

And in the news/blogs again...

Airports against lifting the liquid ban

Wow... We spend all of this money on technologies that are still "not good enough."

The Airport Operators Association (AOA) has announced that it is lobbying the government to try and ensure that the ban on liquids in hand luggage is not lifted.

The AOA has said that new scanner technology, designed to detect explosives in liquid, is “not mature enough”.

Since discovery of a liquid-bomb plot in 2006, passengers have been limited to taking liquids, aerosols and gels in carry-on containers no bigger than 100ml. The new scanners could see the ban lifted in 2013.

“The technology is not mature enough. There are too many false alarms. There are problems with flow rates. There is a problem with different rules for different passengers,” said Darren Caplan, AOA chief executive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.