Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

NPR news story on TSA chatdown or BDO at Boston

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:52 am
Original Poster

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/16/139643...ough-chat-down

This statement bothered me as I don't see how it is a part of the TSA's mission: "The TSA's George Nacarra says officers who've been doing this sporadically have already proven themselves, by rooting out untold drug smugglers and fugitives, for example."

Unfortunately they had no real rebuttal to the new TSA program, just this:
"Maybe they'll turn out to be great at it, but I wouldn't say they go so far as to inspire a lot of confidence," says Glenn Reynolds, a law professor at the University of Tennessee and a vocal critic of the TSA. Reynolds says behavior detection officers in the U.S. tend to be lower ranking and less educated than the Israelis, and may not be up to the task.

"It would be like deciding that you're suddenly going to do brain surgery in every minute clinic around the country," he says. "You can't just retrain those people who may be perfectly good at dealing with poison ivy and sinus infections to suddenly do brain surgery. I mean, it's just a different level."
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:55 am
Original Poster

I forgot to highlight this comment.

"A blue-uniformed Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officer begins with a friendly "Hi, how are you?" and then spends a minute or two peppering passengers with basic questions like where they're going, for what and for how long.

Some travelers may not even speak English, but the behavior detection officers care less about answers than affect."

Not only do I feel it is none of their business where I am going and for what reason I find it amusing that they don't care about the answers. So if we don't answer are we perceived as an risk?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
I find it amusing that they don't care about the answers. So if we don't answer are we perceived as an risk?
The behavior detection depends on analyzing your bodily reactions while answering the questions, not the actual answers. If you refused to answer you would presumably be subjected to additional screening, since your level of risk could not be ascertained during questioning.

All of that obviously depends on the competence of the TSA, which is certainly questionable at best.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:09 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

This statement bothered me as I don't see how it is a part of the TSA's mission: "The TSA's George Nacarra says officers who've been doing this sporadically have already proven themselves, by rooting out untold drug smugglers and fugitives, for example."

Unfortunately they had no real rebuttal to the new TSA program, just this:
"Maybe they'll turn out to be great at it, but I wouldn't say they go so far as to inspire a lot of confidence," says Glenn Reynolds, a law professor at the University of Tennessee and a vocal critic of the TSA. Reynolds says behavior detection officers in the U.S. tend to be lower ranking and less educated than the Israelis, and may not be up to the task.

"It would be like deciding that you're suddenly going to do brain surgery in every minute clinic around the country," he says. "You can't just retrain those people who may be perfectly good at dealing with poison ivy and sinus infections to suddenly do brain surgery. I mean, it's just a different level."
Bolding mine: And it should bother you cuz afaic, that is not what the TSA is supposed to be doing.

Last edited by goalie; Aug 16, 2011 at 10:22 am
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by 14940674
The behavior detection depends on analyzing your bodily reactions while answering the questions, not the actual answers. If you refused to answer you would presumably be subjected to additional screening, since your level of risk could not be ascertained during questioning.
However, if it's true (which I don't believe) that TSA is truly looking for reactions, not actual answers, then answering "I refuse to answer your questions" would provide the "involuntary" reactions they were looking for and be sufficient to avoid additional screening (or police interaction).

The only way to get a real answer is to run experiments with passengers/FTers both refusing to answer and answering "I won't answer," and identifying the different outcomes.

I would be much more willing to cooperate or comply and not be stone-faced-silent if any arbitrary acknowledgment (verbal, non-verbal, hand gesture, whatever) that someone spoke at you was sufficient for this layer of "screening". I have no problem speaking to TSOs; I do have a problem with discussing anything of substance beyond aiding screening of my baggage and with providing them personal information, using my (not their) definition of personal.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
My personal favorite:

"We are not making any assumption that we can do this," Nacarra says. "It may be that we have to seek other qualifications in our workforce, but that's the reason for a pilot test like this. This is just the beginning."
Huh? "We can't do this but we're gonna, just 'cause we feel like it."

And as for the drug smugglers, even if that were the mission of the TSA, why didn't the journalist ask them to put some numbers around it? "Untold" is not a number. What about a hit rate?

This piece is not particularly insightful.

Mike
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:36 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Go here and learn "I do not understand," "Goodbye" and "Write it, please."
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:52 pm

Guess I'll be speaking a lot more French when I travel to the US. How are those questions even remotely safe for people to answer? How are you? not so bad...the rest? not so much.

Last edited by Mimi111; Aug 16, 2011 at 8:00 pm
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:58 pm

We should answer them like Dave Chapelle playing Little Jon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WVmWKB9xjU
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: SSSSS

Untold means untold. SSI?

This is one more reason not to answer any questions other than name and date of birth. See Miranda v. Arizona and later rulings whereby if you know you have the right to refrain from making statements that can be used against you, however innocent you are, and you make any statements that could in any way be construed as being an untold drug smuggler, fugitive or scofflaw who doesn't pay their parking tickets, then you will be a "told" drug smuggler, fugitive or scofflaw and miss your flight.

I would only give my address if I had someone watching my house to root out a drug smuggler, fugitive or thief who might be working at the airport or has accomplices tip off.

Originally Posted by mikeef
My personal favorite:

Huh? "We can't do this but we're gonna, just 'cause we feel like it."

And as for the drug smugglers, even if that were the mission of the TSA, why didn't the journalist ask them to put some numbers around it? "Untold" is not a number. What about a hit rate?

This piece is not particularly insightful.

Mike
Well, yaah! So, they won't mind if I respond to their question by asking a question of my own? Polite conversation with a stranger at the airport, sure. More than that? Bierfeldt 'em. (Am I legally required to answer your question, and if so, may I please call my attorney?) You just can't trust everybody these days can you?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:48 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
I forgot to highlight this comment.

"...Some travelers may not even speak English, but the behavior detection officers care less about answers than affect."

Not only do I feel it is none of their business where I am going and for what reason I find it amusing that they don't care about the answers. So if we don't answer are we perceived as an risk?
Or if someone who speaks very little English gives a confused answer -
TSA: "Where are you going today?"
Passenger: "No. No. Okay." *smiles nervously*
- will they be perceived as a threat?

If someone who speaks no English ignores the question, or speaks in an uncommon language -
Passenger: "Mae'n ddrwg gen i." *smiles nervously*

This has got FAIL written all over it.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Or if someone who speaks very little English gives a confused answer -
Passenger: "No. No. Okay." *smiles nervously*

If someone who speaks no English ignores the question, or speaks in an uncommon language -
Passenger: "Mae'n ddrwg gen i." *smiles nervously*

This has got FAIL written all over it.
This is the conversation I plan to have with a SPOTNik someday.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 5:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum

I didn't realize they were combining their agency with the DEA. Uhm, I thought their original mission was to root out terrorists?

There's some mighty scary stuff going on within that organization. I'll start with saying that someone may soon be finding out that there's some people within that agency that really belong in an asylum for the criminally insane.

Last edited by svenskaflicka; Aug 17, 2011 at 12:50 pm
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Stephen Glain recently wrote that "the legacy of American militarism is a national security complex that thrives on fraud, falsehood and deception". But DHS/TSA takes it to a new level by attempting to do it domestically to a larger extent instead of limiting itself to international angles of the same.

The TSA could not thrive in the absence of fraud, falsehood and deception. The voodoo "security" of "behavior detection" of terrorists (if that is even to be their primary target) is just another sign of how DHS/TSA is attempting to thrive by exploiting fraud, falsehood and deception.

"A supine or complicit Congress" and Presidents afraid of being called "weak" on "security" or of being called on engaging in "appeasement" dare not challenge DHS/TSA in any meaningful way. That in conjunction with an ignorant, apathetic and/or paranoid populace has enabled this latest DHS/TSA scheme. What a pitiful shame that now this BDO scam has been accepted as a normal way of doing who knows what at airports.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 17, 2011 at 12:08 pm
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka

I didn't realize they were combining their agency with the DEA. Uhm, I thought their original mission was to root out terrorists?

There's some mighty scary stuff going on within that organization. I'll start with saying that someone may soon be finding out that there's some people within that agency that really belong in an asylum.
TSA and its parent DHS are probably the most socially dysfunctional agencies that the U.S. Government has fielded in recent history. A cadre of clueless zealots....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.