Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Wrong passenger detained, knife gets through checkpoint, for a while

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold

Now being reported on the news here in Tampa

http://www.baynews9.com/article/news...lane,-arrested

Seems someone did the job wrong there. Definite security issue if the wrong bag is caught.

Why arrested? They don't arrest people that try to carry big liquid items through security. Is it cause he got through that they could/would arrest the person, even though the process should have caught it?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:59 am

Thought the Blue Shirts dont believe knives are a threat to national security, so why did they care what is in his suitcase?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FLgrr
Seems someone did the job wrong there. Definite security issue if the wrong bag is caught.
Cue the TSA theme music.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 3:11 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Oopsie

Originally Posted by Caradoc
That's not The Three Stooges theme...
Old Jul 31, 2011, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by goalie
Or course not. The Three Stooges are actually entertaining.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:05 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Caradoc
Or course not. The Three Stooges are actually entertaining.
Touché
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
so let me get this straight. if they had found the knife at the checkpoint, he could either "surrender" it or leave security and put it back in his car, without facing any consequences. But since the TSA screwed up and let him through, he gets arrested? Shouldn't it be the TSA employees who screwed up being the ones facing punitive measures?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by goalie
Oopsie

Yeah, big mistakes!!! What a stupid things to TSA did not have a right person. Shame on you!
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
so let me get this straight. if they had found the knife at the checkpoint, he could either "surrender" it or leave security and put it back in his car, without facing any consequences. But since the TSA screwed up and let him through, he gets arrested? Shouldn't it be the TSA employees who screwed up being the ones facing punitive measures?
At Los Angeles International the rule is you can surrender the knife or leave with it if the blade is under 3 inches. If it is over 3 inches the TSA calls the police who will at very least write you ticket for a very large fine. At most you will be arrested.

I am not condoning the arrest mind you. I am just stating the TSA rule for LAX. The TSA misses lots of knives everyday.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:20 am

Like many news stories, this one is confusing. First it says "arrested" and then it says "cited." Those are generally two different things.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...and I'm sure that the innocent person who was "detained" received a profuse and sincere apology from the FSD and Pissy himself.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BillForster
I am not condoning the arrest mind you. I am just stating the TSA rule for LAX. The TSA misses lots of knives everyday.
Yes, that is problem. It was too many times to slip through the knives, guns, explosives and metal objects, too. No one who responsible for the behavior at airport. Some screener will be firing from the job.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:27 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by cb1111
Like many news stories, this one is confusing. First it says "arrested" and then it says "cited." Those are generally two different things.
Just like TIA and TPA are two different things. AA's web site tells me the difference is at least $1200 r/t.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ralfp
Just like TIA and TPA are two different things. AA's web site tells me the difference is at least $1200 r/t.
Actually, TPA is Tampa Bay International Airport and TIA is Tiranė, Albania. That is 2 different airport code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.