Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Top 10 Tales of TSA Tomfoolery

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Top 10 Tales of TSA Tomfoolery

You're gonna love this one:

http://news.yahoo.com/top-10-tales-t...114314297.html
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:10 am

Programs: Double Unobtainium, Grace L. Ferguson Airline & Storm Door Co.
Wow. Hadn't heard of #8.

The stupid, it burns.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:36 am

Stoopid

To quote Forrest Gump's mother:
Stupid is as stupid does...
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vidiot
Wow. Hadn't heard of #8.

The stupid, it burns.
I'm unsurprised by #8. After all, an agency that would force a four-year-old to remove his leg braces and hobble through the checkpoint wouldn't even blink at making a woman remove an ankle brace.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
To quote Forrest Gump's mother:
Stupid is as stupid does...
And TSA's ultimate problem, you can't fix stupid!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
More evidence that the mass media is repositioning TSA from heroic protectors to ship of fools. The meta-narrative is steadily changing. It's all good.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:06 am

I had also heard of most of these except #8. To make somebody remove a brace and walk without it is dumb, but nothing surprises me anymore. On a similar note, when I flew with a cast on my hand last year, I had some of the best checkpoint experiences in a long time. The TSA would swab my cast after the WTMD and I would be on my way. My cast was definitely not removable though.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Why should this list stop at 10? I'm sure there's "just a few more"
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: JMB Diamond, Hilton Silver, UAL
My 70 YO mom got held up at PHX because of a knee brace that she wears. She's the easy going sort so just took it off for inspection but she doesn't need it to walk either, it just makes it easier for her. I can't imagine if she had needed the brace BADLY and they were still insistent on her taking if off.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by rochel
My 70 YO mom got held up at PHX because of a knee brace that she wears. She's the easy going sort so just took it off for inspection but she doesn't need it to walk either, it just makes it easier for her. I can't imagine if she had needed the brace BADLY and they were still insistent on her taking if off.
From this page on the TSA website under Prosthetic Devices, Casts, And Body Braces:

Security Officers will not ask nor require you to remove your prosthetic device, cast, or support brace.

During the screening process, please do not remove or offer to remove your prosthetic device.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
From this page on the TSA website under Prosthetic Devices, Casts, And Body Braces:
Monkeys in charge of the insane asylum at the TSA. And it looks like the website is out of date again.

Without going through some books, I think it is fair to say that the TSA, and by association, the DHS, is the most ridiculous, offending and stupid agency ever contrived in the US. By a very large margin.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:35 pm

Security Officers will not ask nor require you to remove your prosthetic device, cast, or support brace.

During the screening process, please do not remove or offer to remove your prosthetic device.
I guess the clerks in CLT didn't get the memo.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by barbell
Given the numbers of memos and the utter lack of comprehension on the part of the TSA clerks, they may have received the memo.

They just can't read.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:47 pm

Whether they got the memo or can read is immaterial; they don't want YOU deciding whether you are going to wear your knee brace, use your wheelchair, or leave your prosthesis in place. The problem is YOU, not them.

Hope that clears things up.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by barbell

e pluribus unum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.