Search

TSA Strip Search of 97 Year Old Woman

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: One Pass Gold, Delta Medallion , Avis, Hertz, Budget, most hotels
TSA Strip Search of 97 Year Old Woman

TSA Strip Search - NO ‘TLC’ FROM THE TSA,” By, SUSAN SACIRBEY
Just when it seems TSA cannot sink any lower.
http://www.filmannex.com/posts/blog_...sacirbey/32501
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Fisher1949
TSA Strip Search - NO ‘TLC’ FROM THE TSA,” By, SUSAN SACIRBEY
Just when it seems TSA cannot sink any lower.
http://www.filmannex.com/posts/blog_...sacirbey/32501
A TSA spokesperson will comment shortly that 'they can't comment but they have head nothing from the passenger' (because, as usual, they disregard any complaint through 'normal' channels. If you want any attention paid to your problem, you really need media involvement. Of course, following proper feedback channels and getting media involvement and getting a personal apology from Pistole still weren't enough to change things for Passenger Sawyer).

If true, if even half of it is true, the TSOs involved should be suspended and the supervisor should be suspended and demoted.

I would really like to more about the drape. Is it disposable? What is it made of? Is it disposed of after each use or (as I suspect), do they reuse the same one each time? One hopes they aren't doing a lot of private room patdowns, but the TSA will certainly never tell the truth about it.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:42 pm

Atrocious.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
A TSA spokesperson will comment shortly that 'they can't comment but they have head nothing from the passenger' (because, as usual, they disregard any complaint through 'normal' channels. If you want any attention paid to your problem, you really need media involvement. Of course, following proper feedback channels and getting media involvement and getting a personal apology from Pistole still weren't enough to change things for Passenger Sawyer).

If true, if even half of it is true, the TSOs involved should be suspended and the supervisor should be suspended and demoted.

I would really like to more about the drape. Is it disposable? What is it made of? Is it disposed of after each use or (as I suspect), do they reuse the same one each time? One hopes they aren't doing a lot of private room patdowns, but the TSA will certainly never tell the truth about it.
A disposable paper towel basically. From their website -

Please notify Security Officers if you need assistance during the screening process such as a hand, arm, or shoulder to lean upon, or a chair in which to sit. At any time during the screening process you can request a disposable paper drape for privacy.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1370.shtm
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:50 pm

Can they claim that having a witness in a private room strip search and patdown is against SSI? This should not be happening to any females (or anyone). Where are the feminists? Why aren't they standing up for women's rights? Why aren't more men outraged by this? What if this happened to your mother, wife, sister, or daughter? Does no one care anymore?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by average_passenger
Can they claim that having a witness in a private room strip search and patdown is against SSI? This should not be happening to any females (or anyone). Where are the feminists? Why aren't they standing up for women's rights? Why aren't more men outraged by this? What if this happened to your mother, wife, sister, or daughter? Does no one care anymore?
Object, and depending on how you do it, you get administrative fines, you get arrested, you get ignored, you get 30 seconds in the news and then continue to get ignored, you get put on a watch list...

People care, but nothing is going to change for the better. And TSA has time on its hands.

The younger generation is being trained that their bodies are meat - they are subject to gropes when they fly, some of them find the NoS titillating, their peers are 'sexting' and posting graphic photos on their webpages....Plus I'm sure there are kids who can't stand still in the NoS, get a resulting grope, and then are told afterwards that they wouldn't have been subjected to the grope if they hadn't done something 'wrong', ie, not stand exactly where and how they are told to stand. They're getting searched before proms, big sporting events...they have absolutely no expectation of privacy or respect for their persons. A TSA dream.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by average_passenger
I can speak only for myself. As an atheist white male gender-egalitarian civil-libertarian, I am outraged. Not surprised, not anymore. But outraged.

I'll try to put this in black-and-white terms:

If this woman was a known, proven terrorist who actually had a bomb on her person and intended to use it while on that flight, it would still have been better to let her go than to strip-search her like TSA did.

That simple. Any pro-TSA replies made by non-TSO members will be considered thoughtfully and responded to the same. Any pro-TSA replies made by TSA employees will be ignored as propagandistic lies because it is an objective and incontrovertible fact that every individual employed by the TSA is without ethics or principles or the ability to act in a manner worthy of respect. It is also an incontrovertible fact that they brought this contempt upon themselves and any arguments against that will be ignored as well.

And it's time for yet another bit of Congressional correspondence. My representative's last reply was disappointing so I think I'll give her a chance to earn my vote back.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Object, and depending on how you do it, you get administrative fines, you get arrested, you get ignored, you get 30 seconds in the news and then continue to get ignored, you get put on a watch list...

People care, but nothing is going to change for the better. And TSA has time on its hands.

The younger generation is being trained that their bodies are meat - they are subject to gropes when they fly, some of them find the NoS titillating, their peers are 'sexting' and posting graphic photos on their webpages....Plus I'm sure there are kids who can't stand still in the NoS, get a resulting grope, and then are told afterwards that they wouldn't have been subjected to the grope if they hadn't done something 'wrong', ie, not stand exactly where and how they are told to stand. They're getting searched before proms, big sporting events...they have absolutely no expectation of privacy or respect for their persons. A TSA dream.
Sadly this is true for a large number of young people. Standards of modesty and personal dignity have shifted for many and the TSA gropes and scans are seen as a badge of honor. The risk is that these practices will become entrenched and establish the new normal. All the more reason to stay voacl and engaged before our rights are lost for good.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 9:31 pm

Got her nekkid, took her cane, forced her out of her chair, and then patted her down....can't be too careful.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by celticwhisper
I can speak only for myself. As an atheist white male gender-egalitarian civil-libertarian, I am outraged. Not surprised, not anymore. But outraged.

I'll try to put this in black-and-white terms:

If this woman was a known, proven terrorist who actually had a bomb on her person and intended to use it while on that flight, it would still have been better to let her go than to strip-search her like TSA did.

That simple. Any pro-TSA replies made by non-TSO members will be considered thoughtfully and responded to the same. Any pro-TSA replies made by TSA employees will be ignored as propagandistic lies because it is an objective and incontrovertible fact that every individual employed by the TSA is without ethics or principles or the ability to act in a manner worthy of respect. It is also an incontrovertible fact that they brought this contempt upon themselves and any arguments against that will be ignored as well.

And it's time for yet another bit of Congressional correspondence. My representative's last reply was disappointing so I think I'll give her a chance to earn my vote back.
hmmm... objective fact...
without ethics or ability....
any arguments against will be ignored....

I guess I just suffer that learning disability where I know the recognized meaning of the words I use before using them in brash declarations... otherwise.. I'd just look:

IGNORANT
a : destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>

and make pro-terrorism statement allowing any circumstance it is alright to just kill people to prove a political point... undermining any arguments about rights to dignity by claiming that we don't all have an equal right to exist.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:09 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
LAX Terminal 4. Apparently the screeners there like to see skin. That's where I was told to bare my leg.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Chaos.Defined
hmmm... objective fact...
without ethics or ability....
any arguments against will be ignored....

I guess I just suffer that learning disability where I know the recognized meaning of the words I use before using them in brash declarations... otherwise.. I'd just look:

IGNORANT
a : destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>

and make pro-terrorism statement allowing any circumstance it is alright to just kill people to prove a political point... undermining any arguments about rights to dignity by claiming that we don't all have an equal right to exist.
OBJECTIVE
adj.: not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.

Wanna try again, cupcake?

And quite simply put, I would rather die than live an undignified life. It's a pity you don't care about human dignity enough to realize that some of us aren't so worthlessly selfish as to only want whatever prolongs and preserves our existence. You'd make a great TSO - they care nothing for human dignity either.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:23 am

I am curious as to what type of "alarms" went off. Can anyone tell what type of alarm it was. Since they asked her about lotion, I can only assume that it was an ETD swab that alarmed. Did they pat her down before the alarms sounded? Did it even occur to the screeners that the alarm may have been caused by contaminated gloves, hair products, or heart medication (nitro glycerine)??
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have asked our TSA posters if there is any occasion that would require a person to open or remove clothing for TSA screening. Of course these people don't have the backbone to answer a direct question and this incident proves that TSA is in fact Strip Searching people.

What I don't understand is just what part of an Administrative Search allows this action.

Seems to me that TSA is clearly in violation of the intent of the limited Administrative Search.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I'd like to see the whole story, including some videos from the airport. Don't know if they'll show anything, but couldn't hurt.

If the whole story is true, it is indeed disgusting. Further media investigation should bear that out. Something, however, just doesn't feel right here. I can't put my finger on it, but I'd like to see some more investigation into it. And I'll repeat: If the story does turn out to be true, somebody should be going to jail.

We waited…it was now 11:40 and our American Airlines flight #4 to JFK was leaving in 35 minutes. Concerned about not making the flight, I asked two of the agents if they could get a supervisor to intervene. One agent turned to the other and said, “You know those supervisors, they just sit on their butts and take their time.” The supervisor arrived about 11:50 and wheeled my mother to a TSA designated area. It was now twenty-five minutes until departure time.
Ouch. And if that is true, somebody will be visiting the unemployment line, regardless of what happens with the passenger (who looks GREAT for 97).

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.