Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zappos has ads in TSA bins?!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:36 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
I think law firms should place ads in the bins...

Have your rights been violated?
Have your privates been felt up?
Is your wallet missing after a trip through the X-ray machine?

Call us

800-_ _ _ _ TSA

We could also partner with civil rights groups to sponsor trays with advice on asserting your rights at the checkpoint. We could probably print them in erasable ink so that as rights are summarily suspended, they can be wiped off the tray easily.
Except that you can't. The airport authority in most airports has final say over the advertising that is allowed. They will not approve ads that are critical of the FAA, the TSA, the airport management, the airlines or other "protected" groups. I found this out in November when we were discussing buying ads at some of the airports to get out word about the WBI machines.

Before anyone complains that this is a freedom of speech issue, they will claim that it is not. They approve, or disapprove, ads based on the appearance, not its content. They will say it does not meet their standards for graphic design or coordination with other advertising.

The agency with which I was communicating was very up front about the situation and says that they get requests for advertising quite often that fails to meet these design guidelines.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by eyecue
What an enigma you propose! They have the first amendment to advertise and you are going to hamstring them for it? Yet when the shoe is on the other foot you scream about first amendment rights.
Nothing enigmatic in this at all. Zappo's has every right to advertise with the TSA. I haven't seen any posting here that said they couldn't legally do that. We have the same right to boycott Zappo's because of their stupid decisions. Absolutely no conflict with the 1st amendment here.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:54 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United
What an enigma you propose! They have the first amendment to advertise and you are going to hamstring them for it? Yet when the shoe is on the other foot you scream about first amendment rights.
So, I don't have a First Amendment right to post on my FB, the Zappos Blog, my Twitter and send an email saying I don't like it and am taking my $$ elsewhere? Really? But Zappos has that same right because clearly they aren't anti-TSA? I get it - to all TSA employees, if you are anti-TSA, you have no rights whatsoever. If you are pro-TSA, well, aren't you just special!!!

You, eyecue, swore to "...support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic...", when you put on your snazzy blue shirt and faux LEO piece of tin, but based on your post, you have no idea what your oath or the Constitution actually means. It's amazing that you'd deny us the same right to speak freely that you happily grant Zappos. Explains a whole heck of a lot as to what is wrong with your employer and your cohort.

Back to topic, in addition to the FB and Twitter, I went and spent money on two pairs of shoes for the Spousal Unit at Nordstrom and sent Zappos the receipt as part of my e-mail. I wasn't kidding that I'd be shopping elsewhere. I got the boilerplate response on both the e-mail and the Twitter.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1P
Why is it that those who complain about hypocracy with regards to the first amendment never seem to understand the first amendment? All it says is that the GOVERNMENT cannot make laws to abridge free speech which means that a government agent cannot arrest or fine you simply for saying something negative about the government or anything else. The first amendment says absolutely nothing about people (consumers and business) and whether or not they must support the free speech of otheres. Everone is free to boycott a business or shun a person because they said something they didn't agree with or support.

Pulling someone off the airwaves (ie Dr. Laura) is a business decision and has nothing to do with free speech. Boycotting a business that supports a political policy or donates to a cause you don't agree with has nothing to do with free speech.

Zappos has the right to advertise whereever another business will allow them to and support with those advertising dollars, whomever they want. However, each and every one of us also has the right to no longer use their services if we disagree with their actions.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 6:47 am

Just wait. They'll start figuing out how to get advertising info a thousand ways, just to lift the burden of satisfying Congress. Nope, I do think only the repeal of the Patriot Act is gonna touch TSA.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JennyElf
Why is it that those who complain about hypocracy with regards to the first amendment never seem to understand the first amendment? All it says is that the GOVERNMENT cannot make laws to abridge free speech which means that a government agent cannot arrest or fine you simply for saying something negative about the government or anything else. The first amendment says absolutely nothing about people (consumers and business) and whether or not they must support the free speech of otheres. Everone is free to boycott a business or shun a person because they said something they didn't agree with or support.

Pulling someone off the airwaves (ie Dr. Laura) is a business decision and has nothing to do with free speech. Boycotting a business that supports a political policy or donates to a cause you don't agree with has nothing to do with free speech.

Zappos has the right to advertise where ever another business will allow them to and support with those advertising dollars, whomever they want. However, each and every one of us also has the right to no longer use their services if we disagree with their actions.
I don't know who owns the TSA bins but I think it reflects poorly on TSA and the business if government is showing favoritism to any one party.

The simple decision for the consumer is to either buy or not buy products from Zappos.

I choose to NOT BUY from Zappos!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I suggest friending Zappos and Zappos Women on facebook and letting them know how you feel about this decision.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:27 am

Next thing you know, the touchy-feely gloves will have ads for Aetna Health Insurance.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
This has been going on for a long time. LAX T1 had ads way back in 2006ish.

For the last year SAN had an ad for Arizona State's MBA program. Never could figure that out (ASU folks were probably too stupid to realize SAN is not Tempe ). It recently changed to something else.

As for the ads helping make wait times better. Apparently they haven't looked at LAX T1.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO
This is in no way, shape or form an impingement on the first amendment rights of anyone. Zappos is free to say what they want, where they want.

Anyone is free to spout whatever racist nonsense they like. I am free to not associate with them or even listen to them. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom of consequences from exercising that right.

I do not choose friends who think it's okay to molest children. I do not choose to spend my money at companies which even seemingly endorse the actions of those who molest children. I do not propose that Zappos be prohibited from advertising on TSA bins. That would be a first amendment issue. But no one can force me to support them either.

(As an aside, I'm going to choose to believe that your insult insinuating that I don't 100% support the first amendment was because you either thought I was someone else or perhaps meant to phrase that last part a bit differently.)
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc
I used to buy my "traveling boots" from Zappos. Bates Tactical Zip-Sides. Comfy.

Note the past tense.
yep, I am a past customer as well!! I was just going to spend a couple hundred of dollars on some stuff there and the TSA just saved me even more money. I already avoid flying now so I'm saving money by not taking any airplane trips. It's sad because I've been working long enough to have the ability take small little fun get-away flights but now I'm not. I bet you the airplane companies and zappos won't care at all. It's sad, there are so many sheeple in America. I only know of two people who will even bother to opt-out at the airports.

Last edited by average_passenger; Apr 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:46 am

This is in no way, shape or form an impingement on the first amendment rights of anyone. Zappos is free to say what they want, where they want.
Unlike the travelers who have to read their ads. If they exercise their First Amendment rights, they risk all kinds of retribution. Ah, I see, now companies have rights but individuals don't. Welcome to Corporate Fascism.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 1:34 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Over 100 comments now, mostly negative. No response. Kind of surprised by that.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I sent and email and got the "he's busy" reply but never another response. I've also heckled them on their facebook pages a few times and have gotten a few "likes" in response. If we all did that I bet we could push a few into the ex-customer category.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Over 100 comments now, mostly negative. No response. Kind of surprised by that.
What can Zappos really say right now in response to "Zappos gives advertising dollars to an organization that deliberately touches people (including children) inappropriately?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.