Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Man strips at Va. airport checkpoint in protest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: No Longer Anything

SORRY THIS IS A DUP!! I missed it at first look in the forum!! please delete.

December 31, 2010

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Police say a man stripped to his underwear at a Virginia airport checkpoint in a protest against security procedures.

Airport police said the man took off his shirt and pants at Richmond International Airport on Thursday. He had scrawled across his chest a reference to the Constitution's 4th Amendment protections against unreasonable search and seizure.

Police identified the man as 21-year-old Aaron B. Tobey of Charlottesville, Va. He told police he was a student at the University of Cincinnati.

Tobey was interviewed by airport police and federal authorities, issued a citation for disorderly conduct and released. He is scheduled for arraignment on Jan. 10.

___

Information from: Richmond Times-Dispatch, http://www.timesdispatch.com
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I have no problem participating in an act of civil disobedience, even one that gets me arrested.

If the reason for the action is to highlight the problems and move others to agree with us, we have a major problem. In general, the people that are complaining about the TSA and its procedures are not a sympathetic class. We are generally viewed by the people we need to convince, rightly or wrongly, as a bunch of whining frequent flyers, "Up In The Air" wanna be's, the ones that get on the plane first from the elite boarding lanes and leer back at the "kettles" from the FC and BC section as they sip on their free drinks from their plush and oversized seats. Or, we are the ones that have enough time and money to travel frequently, going to exotic places, while everyone else is at home watching Oprah or MNF just wishing they could afford even a WN ticket to LAS to get away for a few days. Face it folks, those of us that fly frequently, even if it is just for work, are not a downtrodden, abused, or mistreated group that will garner much sympathy.

I have tried to imagine the protest that will get us the attention to the problem that will actually work to our favor. I have great difficulty coming up with one. The stunt mentioned up thread is funny, it would get attention, but I do not think it will change hearts and minds. It might be successful in getting people to think, but I fear that it would turn into a "look how silly these people look" event rather than a "look how important this issue is" event. And what we need is a "Look how important this issue is" event.

After all, if we do not like it, we do not have to fly.........

That statement above is a common refrain and reflects the attitude that I fear we are combating in addition to the procedures we so correctly oppose.

That said, convince me that it will be effective and I'm in. It will be a tough sell.
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2...ted-ar-744544/

Reported straight without salacious or titillating details.
4th amendment message clearly gotten across.
Non-frequent flyer.
Mixed comments.

Effective?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Effective? No, other than making himself look like a fool. It's not going to change anything.

Besides, I can think of about a dozen FTers who pontificate and sound like they would do something like this.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by JenGal
SORRY THIS IS A DUP!! I missed it at first look in the forum!!
Where did the other thread go ?

Don't tell me I missed a drag-em-out slanging match while I was out.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Million Miler

December 31, 2010

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Police say a man stripped to his underwear at a Virginia airport checkpoint in a protest against security procedures.
___

Had he been wearing a Speedo, might there not have been a problem?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by m60521
Had he been wearing a Speedo, might there not have been a problem?
It is not illegal to wear your underwear exposed in public in the City of Richmond or the State of Virginia. If it were, they would have charged him with indecent exposure or public nudity. Instead, they used the catchall, disorderly conduct, charge which means they really had nothing on him. His 1st amendment rights were clearly violated here as it was obvious that he was making a political statement.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 5:43 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by flyless
It is not illegal to wear your underwear exposed in public in the City of Richmond or the State of Virginia. If it were, they would have charged him with indecent exposure or public nudity. Instead, they used the catchall, disorderly conduct, charge which means they really had nothing on him. His 1st amendment rights were clearly violated here as it was obvious that he was making a political statement.
Sounds like he was cited in the same way you are cited for speeding. He was detained, given a citation, released on his OR, and can/will be arraigned. I'd expect that he can mail in the citation with a check (pleading guilty?), and the entire thing goes away (5th/6th degree misdemeanor?).

I'm still going with that his disorderly conduct is related to his reaction to being told to put on more clothes, and not related to his dress at that moment. Whether he was really disorderly or not is another question.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:06 am

Programs: SSSSS
I think his protest in Virginia is doubly appropriate.

The Virginia Constitution is based on the Virginia Declaration of Rights, and Article I Section 10 of the Virginia Constitution is clear that general searches are not allowed: "That general warrants, whereby an officer or messenger may be commanded to search suspected places without evidence of a fact committed, or to seize any person or persons not named, or whose offense is not particularly described and supported by evidence, are grievous and oppressive, and ought not to be granted."

The Virginia Declaration of Rights of 1776 was incorporated into both the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence.

One of the comments centered on crux of the matter: Many say flying is a right. It is not a right, it is a product. Anyone with the price of a ticket may (or should be able to) fly.

Except we have the 1.) Are you on the secret no fly list which you can be placed without notice, without warning and without due process; 2.) You must submit to ever invasive security maneuvers because the government says so without regard to our most basic laws.

Virginia should be the heart of a movement to restore our constitution by enforcing its own.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by kevinsac
Effective? No, other than making himself look like a fool. It's not going to change anything.

Besides, I can think of about a dozen FTers who pontificate and sound like they would do something like this.
I don't think he made himself the fool, quite the opposite. The agency and the rules that led to this, are what looks foolish. That is why this man did it.

I applaud his bravery for doing so. I wish more flyers would protest. It doesn't necessarily have to include stripping down to undies though.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Sounds like he was cited in the same way you are cited for speeding. He was detained, given a citation, released on his OR, and can/will be arraigned. I'd expect that he can mail in the citation with a check (pleading guilty?), and the entire thing goes away (5th/6th degree misdemeanor?).

I'm still going with that his disorderly conduct is related to his reaction to being told to put on more clothes, and not related to his dress at that moment. Whether he was really disorderly or not is another question.
That would be the equivalent of telling him to cover up a picket sign because it criticized a public official which would be a violation of the 1st amendment. Since he wasn't violating any Virginia or Richmond statutes they had no cause to force him to change the way he was dressed. I agree with you that we don't really know the facts of what happened when they told him to put his clothes back on but it should have never reached that point since he wasn't violating any law by exposing his underwear. Virginia and Richmond law specifically (and only)refer to the exposing of the genitals, the buttocks, and female breast as a violation of the public nudity and indecent exposure laws.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:23 am

December 31, 2010

Airport police said the man took off his shirt and pants at Richmond International Airport on Thursday. He had scrawled across his chest a reference to the Constitution's 4th Amendment protections against unreasonable search and seizure.

Police identified the man as 21-year-old Aaron B. Tobey of Charlottesville, Va. He told police he was a student at the University of Cincinnati.

Tobey was interviewed by airport police and federal authorities, issued a citation for disorderly conduct and released. He is scheduled for arraignment on Jan. 10.

___

If he had picked Patrick Henry Field (PHF) that would have been more irony.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Airport Stripper: TSA Violates Civil Liberties

The other thread seems to have vanished.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:24 am

Too Much Drama. Less Drama Would Be More Effective.

The young man stripped to his athletic shorts.

I think the initial law enforcement response was designed to make it appear he'd committed an indecent act, when he definitely had not. The news media has carried on with that theme, largely because it makes exciting headlines.

It would be smart for all flyers to wear athletic attire under their travel clothes. If many people stripped down to minimal athletic attire for every groping session, it would be a productive form of protest. A pair of spandex shorts for both genders and a sports bra style top for the ladies should suffice. The act of disrobing should occur with matter of fact banality for maximum effectiveness.

Any video of the groping would then be much clearer. There could be little debate later with regard to precisely where the groper pawed the traveler. This would shift the balance of power back in the direction of the traveler and observers.

Last edited by ElizabethConley; Jan 4, 2011 at 11:14 am Reason: My alter ego, Miss Steaks
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kevinsac

YUP - and I'm one of em.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
One could make a business out of this: I foresee a TSA-approved "swimsuit" for men, women, and kids to hit the shelves of Brookstone in the future

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.