Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive TSA Lawsuits Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Eigth Amendment is no good because courts have ruled that if a measure is intended for the public safety rather than punishment, even if it has the effect of being punitive, it's not covered. There was a case I remember where sex offenders challenged being on sex offender lists for long times (often either 20 years or life) as cruel and unusual, but were denied since the intention was for public safety even though the effect was to ruin these people's lives (which sometimes may have been deserved and other times was an 18 year old kid caught with a 16 year old girlfriend). As best I know, ADA can't be invoked so long as they make reasonable accommodation, and if the TSA isn't "unreasonable" under the 4th, I can't see why they'd be unreasonable under the ADA. I mean hey, they even let that 95-year-old woman leave the checkpoint to change her Depends... if that isn't reasonable accommodation, I don't know what is!

Anyway, the above is just my non-lawyerly opinion, but I think a lot of argument is left to be made under the 4th Amendment. In the district court we will have a lot more fight left! But, if you really want to add another amendment, the next best choice would be 5th Amendment (due process).

Originally Posted by JumboD
Plus, couldn't you argue the constitutionality on other grounds? They may have lost on the Fourth Amendment, but why not make an Eighth Amendment case that having to stand in a position you are unable to stand in or else be subject to the grope constitutes cruel and unusual punishment? Or else a case under ADA/Title IIV (probably the former) since it discriminates against the handicapped in some ways? Not nearly as compelling as a case regarding the Fourth, but could gain some momentum in the press at least.
--Jon

Last edited by Affection; Jul 15, 2011 at 9:20 pm
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Affection
Forcing them to face the public fury is a great start. Once there is a public rulemaking, the TSA must consider all the information presented to them. If they fail to, they can be hauled back into court.
--Jon
I salute you for your optimism, and hope you're right.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
He's absolutely right.

Bruce
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:17 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...it-vs-tsa.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.