Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

US Border Patrol checkpoint on I-10 in west Texas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Border Patrol checkpoint on I-10 in west Texas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2011, 1:31 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Firebug4
The subject is required to answer those questions related to citizenship. However, this is very narrowly limited to Immigration checkpoints and Ports of Entry.
Where does it say the subject is required to answer that question?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Ari
You miss my point; I don't expect a Judge to overrule the Supreme Court. I would expect a Judge to rule such a stop constitutional. Whether the Judge would let the case go beyond a PC hearing (based on the reading of "forcible" in the statute) is a closer question. Assume the Judge decides to let a Jury hear the case (or a Judge sitting as trier of fact).

The jury (or Judge) hears the case and acquits. That's it. Case closed. No court that has any say or power to change things-- in this case the Supreme Court though I don't put much past the 9th Circuit-- will never hear the case.

So, while a Judge will make the initial determination that determination will not be reviewed in the case of an acquittal.

I am aware of how the court system works; my point was that the issue is unlikely to be reviewed by a higher court if a jury were to acquit in such a case. There would be no standing to appeal the initial determination. The only to sidestep this is to plead guilty subject to an issue on appeal, but I can hardly see one doing that in a case in which one would have a good shot at acquittal. The Judge's initial determination is meaningless since it isn't binding on any other courts.

And the jury determines guilt only-- or lack thereof-- not guilt or innocence. A jury does not declare someone innocent, only not guilty. The law presumes innocence until proven guilty, so in the eyes of the law the defendant is innocent-- but not the jury. Had a jury found OJ "innocent" instead of "not guilty," the civil suit probably would have been barred.

It is important to remember that your use of force policy must yield to the 4th Amenment and not the other way around (I'm sure you are aware of this). It is also important to remember tha the law evolves over time.

There is a difference between RS for a temporary detention and RS for a search. Making a person put down a cell phone camera on RS to detain alone (but no RS for a search-- i.e. missing the "armed and presently dangerous" component) might push the envelope in the view of a court. Courts are well aware that LE doesn't like to be filmed and are constantly ruling in favor of the filmer as long as the filmer isn't interfering with the investigation or being threatening.

Cameras and cops are a new issue to the courts and it hasn't been reviewed extensively (so qualified immunity might attach in any event). Your position that anyone you have RS to detain can't film you because they are holding a small object in their hand might not come down on your side. And please don't invoke the cell phone gun. "Keep your hands out of your pockets" and "put your small camera phone down" are two very different commands even if they both have an impact on your perception of your safety and a Court might find as such. It isn't necesarily the same as any other object.

The AUSA would drop the case for the obvious reason-- the exact reason you would have brought the charge in the first place according to your post-- and told you not to do it again.

And that's why LE continues to punish people for exercising this right, even when that right is properly invoked far from any administrative search.

It is the same reason cops don't like cameras-- it makes their job more difficult because it adds a new dimension of accountability. That a tape doesn't tell the whole story is true. Cops don't always tend to tell the whole story either (and studies say most will completely lie when it suits them).
Well this is very frustrating. I just spent about an hour and a half typing a response to you. It is lost with the inadvertent push of the back button on the mouse. I will re-type it but not at 3:40 in the morning. I will try to get it done ASAP.

MaximumSisu: This is what I was referring to when I posted to you earlier. This topic has consumed the better part of the afternoon and much of the evening for me. In order to properly discuss this type of topic at least for me takes an incredible amount of time. I do a lot of research to ensure that I am very familiar with what I am saying. This many times involves me dragging out my reference materials that I use for training, calls to other officers that are more familiar with a particular topic, even calls to litigation if I really don't know the answer. I put in well over forty hours a week on my job. I used to have the time to devote to this. However, this is very difficult with my new assignment and my family finally joining me at my new post. I will do the best I can but I don't have the time that I used to but I don't get paid for this and my family comes first.

FB
Old Mar 19, 2011, 4:31 am

Programs: WN RR, DL SkyMiles, CO Captain America
...I do a lot of research to ensure that I am very familiar with what I am saying. This many times involves me dragging out my reference materials that I use for training, calls to other officers that are more familiar with a particular topic, even calls to litigation if I really don't know the answer...
So you're not conversational on these topics? For a job that you are experienced in and train others for? Doing the research isn't the hard part; rather, determining the significance of what you find is the important process. An ER physician could read all about lateral canthotomies, but would lack the procedural and contextual knowledge to perform one. You end up saying that you could arrest under 18 USC 111 when you haven't even read the statute. Most likely, you saw "assaulting, resisting, or impeding" in the subtitle and ran with it. That's a mistake that rookies make when they look in their QuikCode books without bothering to read the actual statute.

Last edited by planedude86; Mar 19, 2011 at 4:39 am
Old Mar 19, 2011, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not sure where you got that from. The text you have quoted is all in relation to someone under investigative detention and why I would not allow that person to have a solid object (the video camera) to hit me with in their hands. They don't have to answer the LEO questions at all.

In relation to a Border Patrol checkpoint SCOTUS as determined that it is reasonable seizure under the 4th amendment to determine citizenship or status. Again this is taken directly from the decision.
The court determined that the national interest out weigh the 4th amendment privacy concerns.:

Their words not mine. The court ruled that stopping people at immigration checkpoints to determine citizenship and/or status by asking questions and in some cases to produce documents evidencing the right to be in the United States. The subject is required to answer those questions related to citizenship. However, this is very narrowly limited to Immigration checkpoints and Ports of Entry. The subject is not required to answer any other questions that do relate to citizenship. This only applies at the checkpoint. In encounters the occur in places other than a Immigration Check point or a Port of Entry. The subject doesn't have to answer anything.

I didn't make the rules or the decisions. I just operate under the parameters that the rules and decisions create. It could change tomorrow and that would be OK to. It just changes how I do about my job.

FB
So taking these court decisions in to account do you believe a person has the absolute right to remain silent when questioned by a LEO?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:11 am
In Memoriam

MaximumSisu: This is what I was referring to when I posted to you earlier. This topic has consumed the better part of the afternoon and much of the evening for me. In order to properly discuss this type of topic at least for me takes an incredible amount of time. I do a lot of research to ensure that I am very familiar with what I am saying. This many times involves me dragging out my reference materials that I use for training, calls to other officers that are more familiar with a particular topic, even calls to litigation if I really don't know the answer. I put in well over forty hours a week on my job. I used to have the time to devote to this. However, this is very difficult with my new assignment and my family finally joining me at my new post. I will do the best I can but I don't have the time that I used to but I don't get paid for this and my family comes first.

FB
I didn't use a rubber hose on you, I merely reminded you of your previous promise. You have appeared in multiple threads of late, so I had REASONABLE SUSPICION that you had some time on your hands.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:28 am
In Memoriam

I also believe that it didn’t really matter how the agents handled the encounter because the traveler intended to pick a fight to attempt to prove a point.FB
I don't believe this is what you meant to write (but I am worried that it is what you believe) --- would the agents be justified in beating or shooting the traveler because "he started it"?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 1:56 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well this is very frustrating. I just spent about an hour and a half typing a response to you. It is lost with the inadvertent push of the back button on the mouse. I will re-type it but not at 3:40 in the morning.
I'm sorry-- that really sucks.

I will try to get it done ASAP.
Take your time.

----------------------------------------------

May I suggest that in the future you type your long, well-thought-out posts in a word processor and then copy and paste?

-----------------------------------------------

I will just add that Justice Thomas has said he would reverse Martinez-Fuerte and Stiz. I don't know exactly how the others feel, though I recall that Scalia came down on the side of these checkpoints. If he knew that they are now used as fishing expeditions now, he might reconsider. He pretty expressed his views of the give-an-inch, take-a-mile LEO mantra in Gant if I recall correctly . . . I haven't read it in a while.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA

[much deleted]

What follows on the tape is the part that is difficult to determining legality from the tape alone. This is because it would depend heavily on what is in the mind of the agents on scene. We do not have the benefit of their reports or the ability to ask them what they believed at the time.

[much deleted]

The problem with the video is that we do not have insight as to what the agents were thinking at the time and no way to question them as a judge would to determine that.

[much more deleted]
This is a good point. The video shows only what the agents did and what they said. That's why I urge everyone to view this video. In it the words that come unbidden out of the agent's mouth give a pretty clear indication of what is in the minds of the agents at that particular checkpoint. Their primary purpose, at least with regard to Mr. Bressi, seems to be not to enforce immigration law but, rather to show him who is the boss. This is a clear demonstration of the Barney Fife syndrome writ large.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ari

-----------------------------------------------

I will just add that Justice Thomas has said he would reverse Martinez-Fuerte and Stiz. I don't know exactly how the others feel, though I recall that Scalia came down on the side of these checkpoints. If he knew that they are now used as fishing expeditions now, he might reconsider. He pretty expressed his views of the give-an-inch, take-a-mile LEO mantra in Gant if I recall correctly . . . I haven't read it in a while.
If what you say is true, what must they think about the testicle groping and nude scanning?

I hope you're right...
Old Mar 19, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Can I take from your comments that you do not believe that a person in the United States has the right to remain silent when being questioned by a LEO?
You always have right to remind silent when questioned by a LEO. Just remember, they can play hardball also...
Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbdk
You always have right to remind silent when questioned by a LEO. Just remember, they can play hardball also...
I believe that I do also, however I'm not so sure Firebug4 believes that.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I believe that I do also, however I'm not so sure Firebug4 believes that.
Maybe I'm not sufficiently sensitized on the issue, but I wouldn't have trouble talking to a border patrol officer, telling him what city I came from and what city I'm headed to. Any reasonable questions I wouldn't have much problems with. Seems that courtesy would defuse about 99.999% of the issues. The video taper was aching for a fight, IMO.

I would not give permission to search the car though, as I think I'm entitled at least as much privacy and 4th Amendment protection as criminals are granted.

The main issue is with defining the border as extending 100 miles deep. That is ludicrous.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA

{much deleted}
Every body gets hung up on the “Am I being detained” question. The agents should just answer the question truthfully.

{ more deleted }
FB
I have to admit that I am one of those who gets "hung up on the 'Am I being detained' question."

Frankly were I to arrive at checkpoint and the agent refused to promptly answer that question with a direct"'yes" or "no" it would cause me to suspect that the agent was either: a) incompetent (a potentially dangerous situation for me) or b) conducting an operation that he himself believed was of dubious legality (a very dangerous situation for me).

I also believe that my suspicion would be "reasonable".

Which alternative do you think was most likely at play in the video in question?

Last edited by T-the-B; Mar 20, 2011 at 6:37 pm Reason: improve clarity
Old Mar 20, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Just out of curiosity (I will probably never drive down in that part of the country), what happens in the case of a non US citizen?

My Canadian passport doesn't have any stamps of admission on it (I use NEXUS)..

Then again another question... Would they wave members of trusted traveler programs through without questions?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:22 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by alexb133
Just out of curiosity (I will probably never drive down in that part of the country), what happens in the case of a non US citizen?

My Canadian passport doesn't have any stamps of admission on it (I use NEXUS)..

Then again another question... Would they wave members of trusted traveler programs through without questions?
That is a good question. I have passed through these checkpoints (two on IH-35N and once IH-10E all in TX) with non-US citizens thrice, and everytime, the agent didn't ask another question and let us go. None of these were Mexican citizens (not sure if that matters but all were European).

In every stop I was driving and I was asked "All all of you US citizens" (or something very close to that) and I replied I am and they are Italian, or he is BRitish, or they are Spanish and Dutch. Then it was "Have a nice day" and I drove on.

Ciao,
FH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.