Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: UAL,AA, Marriott Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver
Just got back from MKE-MCO.

All 3 kids and wife got metal detector while I pushed through stuff.

BOTH times as I was about to go through the WTMD I was pulled to MMW. I opt-ed out and both times I had to walk through the WTMD before being patted down.

In MKE it didn't bother me and the pat down was gentle.

In MCO, same thing, all things through and 3 kids and Mrs through. Then as I push stuff through I got directed to NoS. Said opt out.

Then I was like I am goingto have to go through your primary screening to get patted down. I said "that was stupid". He said "thanks for your input",

The guy came and it was no problem either. I have had many pat downs and never something where I felt violated.

As I was mad as we collected our stuff another guy was like "you don't want to fly safely". We got into it. He was like it is 2-3 minutes or seconds of what we get in flight. I said 3 times, "do you really believe that?". Then as he was about to walk away in a huff I said "I don't believe you believe that". He bolted saying "soon ALL these will be scanners".

I hate flying now with this whole nudity pat downs and radiation. What is the USA coming to?

But from my experience, I have never been "violated" in a patdown and if I never was I would never mind.

I HATE the stories about men and women being sexually assaulted and everyone else who as sheep and go through the scanners. If we all opt-out, the scanners are gone. Simple as that. Why do we take it?

Anyway, that is my rant. 4 out of 5 of us walked right through and I got the pat down both times. I would rather it be me than the wife or kids.

After getting into it with the guy, I am not going to plot what line leads to what anymore to try to avoid. I like airports where you can choose. We choose a WTMD but it was next to a NoS. So oh well. If every patdown was guaranteed not to make you tube I would care even less.

I agree with a post I read above how I can't let it bother me anymore. But that leads to apathy then we all are in scanners. I mean we see one line, then it is 2 then every airport is getting radiated. That is no good.

Oh well, 2 gentle pat downs this trip, Hawaii in Feb from ORD this time. It seems all lines at AA at terminal 3 are NoS. Time to pray about 5 opt outs and not worry about maybe going to UAL Terminal #1 and choosing a WTMD, which I have done a lot. I am done worrying and will take the opt-out. I am repeating my self and talking myself into not worrying about what airport has what. We will see how I do in a few months and peeking at UAL terminal. I can get a standby since my brother is a pilot so listing for a flight is easy.

I hope the TSA screws up something and we get back to normal but I don't think we ever will again, it will only get worse.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by tdfxman
I hope the TSA screws up something and we get back to normal but I don't think we ever will again, it will only get worse.
I bet the next target will be a security check point. You would think TSA would want to keep things moving as fast as possible. Maybe that's why the chat downs seems to be non-existent in BOS after the two weeks of horrendous lines
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:41 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by CDKing
Maybe that's why the chat downs seems to be non-existent in BOS after the two weeks of horrendous lines
More pressure from airlines due to slow lines, than from opt-outs?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by CDKing
I bet the next target will be a security check point. You would think TSA would want to keep things moving as fast as possible. Maybe that's why the chat downs seems to be non-existent in BOS after the two weeks of horrendous lines
Right, they have beef up and must be reduced wait time at security. No more wait for 10 minutes. They have speed it up to get through at security.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
overheard during the pat down at T6 LAX - drug smuggling gossip

Thursday I went through T6 at LAX (the Delta side) and opted out. I requested a private room and got two female TSA agents (I am female) in the room. Anyway I was a piece of furniture as far as they were concerned they spent the entire time gossiping about other TSA agents at LAX - mainly about those who had been caught smuggling drugs. Mind you they were not in favor of the drug smugglers, but still it was an odd conversation to be listening in on during my patdown. They were talking about specific people and which terminals they worked at. Sounds like T1 is particularly problematic terminal in case people are interested. But T4 may have some issues as well.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by businesstraveller2
Thursday I went through T6 at LAX (the Delta side) and opted out. I requested a private room and got two female TSA agents (I am female) in the room. Anyway I was a piece of furniture as far as they were concerned they spent the entire time gossiping about other TSA agents at LAX - mainly about those who had been caught smuggling drugs. Mind you they were not in favor of the drug smugglers, but still it was an odd conversation to be listening in on during my patdown. They were talking about specific people and which terminals they worked at. Sounds like T1 is particularly problematic terminal in case people are interested. But T4 may have some issues as well.
so you found the grope non invasive? many would be hesitant to go there for the rub down...
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
so you found the grope non invasive? many would be hesitant to go there for the rub down...
How can actions of a federal employee, without probable cause, touching/groping any part of anyone's body in the line of duty be "non-invasive?"

We've got to stop thinking like this or we have lost the war.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
BOS - Terminal B - AA c/p @ 09:00

My luck finally ran out this morning, having not had an opt-out since early May. The traffic was light at the checkpoint such that the TSA had closed down everything except the far right lane (usually reserved for Priority AAccess customers). To my surprise, the NoS was shut down due to a large catering order transiting the checkpoint. Unfortunately, in the 2 minutes I was in line they got through, and the NoS was opened back up. I tried to time a SDOO, but the moat dragon directed me to the blue cancer walls of death. I politely declined, and a 5-minute wait for a male assist ensued.

They had me stand where the view of my belongings was obstructed, but I had put everything inside my jacket in a hidden pocket, and I had a clear view of the only open exit to the checkpoint. Finally, my assist came and I was ushered through the glass door separating the WTMD and the NoS. The male assist changed his gloves and took my belongings over to the ETD machine. It was a standard patdown, there was no hair check, and there were no karate chops. He used the term resistance in his explanation but came nowhere close to meeting it. For transiting checkpoints, I usually wear 5.11 Tactical Cargo Pants which provide enough margin such that the TSO would have to put in a concerted effort to "meet resistance". Due to such, I've never experienced a direct hit, even when it's a karate chop motion.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: UAL,AA, Marriott Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver
5.11 Tactical Cargo Pants

Can I ask how those help ensure some degree of non-craziness on behalf of the gov't? I would get them if I knew how they helped.

Thanks
Old Oct 25, 2011, 2:59 pm

BOI Opt Out

ONLY scanners in use at Boise when I flew out (SWA) so I opted out. TSA told me to put my drivers license and boarding pass on the belt to go through the x ray machine also - no holding it in my hand or in trousers. Did the pat down in public. Had my bags in full view nearby. Agent was nice with one disturbing exception. I alarmed on the explosives test. I have no idea why. Was told this necessitated a private screening and baggage search in a room down the hall. I asked to do it in public. Was told they were not allowed to do searches like that in the public view. I asked repeatedly. No go. I was told I could have a law enforcement officer with me. I accepted that option. I ASKED NICELY if I could wear my shoes for the walk down the hall and around the corner to the private room. The sweet young thing that did the initial pat down turned to her superior and said, "She's DEMANDING to wear her shoes." Huh????? Not what I said... That part, in retrospect slightly alarms me. Anyway all four of us proceeded to the private room for a pat down which really could have been done in public as it was not that much different than the first one. Then we all left the room and the senior TSA agent handed me a comment card and urged me repeatedly to send it in and then left. I have no idea what she wanted me to say. They were nice. They were professional, but obviously their equipment is defective. The junior TSA agent stayed with me for the bag search and we were done. All of them acted very professionally with the exception of that one "mis - translation" I mentioned. I do think I should have been given some suggestions as to what triggered the false positive on the explosive test so I could take steps to avoid doing whatever it is. The agent changed her gloves in front of me so I know it's not that. Perhaps their equipment isn't calibrated properly???? I welcome any suggestions. Also I'm somewhat dismayed that they were making everyone go through the scanners or accept a pat down. Why was there no use of the metal detectors that were sitting there idle? I am afraid this may be a trend and the future planned direction at all airports in the future - no option to walk through the metal detector - only the scanner or a pat down.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by irishone
ONLY scanners in use at Boise when I flew out (SWA) so I opted out.... Also I'm somewhat dismayed that they were making everyone go through the scanners or accept a pat down. Why was there no use of the metal detectors that were sitting there idle? I am afraid this may be a trend and the future planned direction at all airports in the future - no option to walk through the metal detector - only the scanner or a pat down.
It's going to be interesting to see how they screen the pilots when the WTMDs go away. Most recently (SEA and LAX), I saw a TSO blocking the WTMD except for pilots and airport workers.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 3:12 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by irishone
Why was there no use of the metal detectors that were sitting there idle? I am afraid this may be a trend and the future planned direction at all airports in the future - no option to walk through the metal detector - only the scanner or a pat down.
Why is this so surprising to so many people?

TSA has said this publicly and repeatedly. They're not worried about metal. They're worried about non-metal. So of course they have to use the scanners.

(Or they're worried about making lobbyists happy, or securing jobs for themselves later, or whatever.)
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA
Returning home from Denver on Saturday, all lines were the scanner so I opted out. I had to wait a good 4-5 minutes for a female TSO; while I was waiting, another opt-out joined me - the first time that has happened for me! I got the hair check, which I thought was very odd as I don't have curly or "poofy" hair - it's clearly lying flat against my scalp. The explosives detector was down, so a supervisor had to take the gloves to another machine to test them, adding more time to the process.

Leaving ORD again on Monday, it looked like I was going to get yet another pat-down, but they opened a WTMD lane at just the right moment and I hopped in that line.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier
I'm so sorry you dealt with that at MCO. This is why I can't wait till I have my pilot's license and own airplane so I never have to deal with it again. What Obama and the TSA have done to our airports is truly horrific. I can't understand why the TSA discriminates against adults so much..it's interesting they put your kids and wife through and keep picking you. According to their own policy, age discrimination is not tolerated. Truly effective security would definitely be random or just plain thorough towards everyone. Obviously everyone needs primary security, and it's something the TSA tends to fluff on, which shows it all is truly security theatre and a money-making operation for the Obama re-election campaign/L3 holdings.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier
Originally Posted by Majuki
My luck finally ran out this morning, having not had an opt-out since early May. The traffic was light at the checkpoint such that the TSA had closed down everything except the far right lane (usually reserved for Priority AAccess customers). To my surprise, the NoS was shut down due to a large catering order transiting the checkpoint. Unfortunately, in the 2 minutes I was in line they got through, and the NoS was opened back up. I tried to time a SDOO, but the moat dragon directed me to the blue cancer walls of death. I politely declined, and a 5-minute wait for a male assist ensued.

They had me stand where the view of my belongings was obstructed, but I had put everything inside my jacket in a hidden pocket, and I had a clear view of the only open exit to the checkpoint. Finally, my assist came and I was ushered through the glass door separating the WTMD and the NoS. The male assist changed his gloves and took my belongings over to the ETD machine. It was a standard patdown, there was no hair check, and there were no karate chops. He used the term resistance in his explanation but came nowhere close to meeting it. For transiting checkpoints, I usually wear 5.11 Tactical Cargo Pants which provide enough margin such that the TSO would have to put in a concerted effort to "meet resistance". Due to such, I've never experienced a direct hit, even when it's a karate chop motion.

Horrible...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.