Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners equal 300 new TSOs for LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

One of my birdies whispered in my ear.

TO : TSA LAX Employees

Los Angeles International Airport

Federal Security Director (Acting)

SUBJECT : 2010 TSA/LAX Hiring Campaign

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is excited to announce a fantastic opportunity.

The TSA/LAX has always been at the forefront in implementing changing technologies and innovative security initiatives. During the next few months, LAX will be receiving Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) units. The use of this screening technology affords us a new tool to use in ensuring the safety of the travelling public.

The deployment of the AIT technology requires us to increase our staffing in a very short timeframe, and as the summer months are rapidly approaching, the TSA/LAX is determined to hire approximately 300 part-time Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) within the next several weeks.

We would like to extend a special invitation to your family, friends, and acquaintances to attend the first of our TSO recruiting and hiring campaign information forums. The first evening of this three day event is limited to referrals from local colleges, our airport partners, and you. This special evening set aside from the general public will be held on May 21, 2010, at 6pm, at the Proud Bird restaurant on Aviation Boulevard. Interested individuals may learn more about exciting career opportunities with the TSA.

The attached flyer provides additional details on salary, benefits, and minimum requirements, as well as details on the event.
Anybody feel like protesting this little exercise in perversion?
Old May 17, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Wow. Waste and nepotism!

How many TSA positions at LAX currently? IOW, what's the percentage increase due to the nude-o-scope?
Originally Posted by Vera Adams
The use of this screening technology affords us a new tool to use in ensuring the safety of the travelling public.
I'm pretty sure the first draft of this memo said:
The use of this screening technology affords us a new tool to use in ensuring the unchecked expansion of the TSA.

Last edited by RadioGirl; May 17, 2010 at 8:56 pm
Old May 17, 2010, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This special evening set aside from the general public will be held on May 21, 2010, at 6pm, at the Proud Bird restaurant on Aviation Boulevard.
Wow -- and to think that my former Air Force organization used to have our office Christmas parties at the Proud Bird! This fine establishment has been taken over by the TSA! Is nothing sacred anymore???
Old May 17, 2010, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Wow -- and to think that my former Air Force organization used to have our office Christmas parties at the Proud Bird! This fine establishment has been taken over by the TSA! Is nothing sacred anymore???
What a waste of OUR tax dollars! Why are 300 part-timers needed? This really pisses me off. When will TSA stop tossing our money out the window on useless staff and equipment?

I'll be adding that restaurant to the list of airports and other establishements, infected with the TSA Virus, I will not be patronizing
Old May 17, 2010, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Wow. Waste and nepotism!

How many TSA positions at LAX currently? IOW, what's the percentage increase due to the nude-o-scope?

I'm pretty sure the first draft of this memo said:
LAX may be increasing their numbers, but over all TSA is decreasing the numbers, even with WBIs going to various airports. Besides the economy, which will eventuall recover (we hope), the reason why is many airports are adding in-line systems. At SAT we are adding such a system, and plant to have our FTE cut quiet drastically, even with the addition of WBIs.

Yes some airports will gain, but many will lose employees. Interesting, we don't hear much about that from TSAs critics...I wonder why?
Old May 17, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by SATTSO
Yes some airports will gain, but many will lose employees. Interesting, we don't hear much about that from TSAs critics...I wonder why?
Probably because we haven't seen (until your post just now) any statement of any kind from anyone in TSA saying that the total numbers are decreasing. Ideally, it would be an official announcement from someone at HQ.

In fact, according to the TSA blog:
In October 2008, the guy caught stealing in Newark was "a kick in the gut for each of the 43,000 officers who are honest, hardworking, and take pride in their mission of keeping passengers safe."

In January 2009, "only 20 of our 45,000 have complained so far" about problems with the new uniforms with possible formaldehyde contamination.

In February 2010, the Orlando pervert's "actions do not reflect on the more than 50,000 men and women who work every day to keep the traveling public safe."

You'll excuse us if that doesn't sound like the total numbers are decreasing.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:09 pm

Because we don't have any official information to discuss. Heck, the only reason we have this memo to discuss is because someone anonymously sent it to Trollkiller.

And I doubt we'll ever be told about such reductions. I'm sure someone will claim that the exact number of TSA employees is SSI. After all, knowing how many people are involved in screening operations in an airport might help terrorists to know how to attack that airport.

(The sad thing is ... I'm not sure whether the preceding paragraph is sarcasm, or completely realistic.)
Old May 18, 2010, 5:47 am
Suspended

Are these 300 new hires going to be psychologically screened to r/o those with sexual perversions? Or are these new hires going to be replacing current screeners who will be transferred to peep show duty?
Old May 18, 2010, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
LAX may be increasing their numbers, but over all TSA is decreasing the numbers, even with WBIs going to various airports. Besides the economy, which will eventuall recover (we hope), the reason why is many airports are adding in-line systems. At SAT we are adding such a system, and plant to have our FTE cut quiet drastically, even with the addition of WBIs.

If your cuts are anything like they did at IAD (without a nude a scope implementation), then it screws us, the flying public and shouldn't be lauded by anyone. The time to get through security have increased dramatically with a severe decrease in staffing/open lines.
Old May 18, 2010, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Vera Adams
This special evening set aside from the general public will be held on May 21, 2010, at 6pm, at the Proud Bird restaurant on Aviation Boulevard.
What's the matter Vera, the qualified pool of applicants that want to work for the TSA getting a little shallow?
Old May 18, 2010, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anybody send that memo off to the TV stations in LA?
Old May 18, 2010, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

More Info from the Flyer

Learn more about this great job opportunity and how to apply
Join us at the following TSA Information Forum
Friday, May 21, 2010
(Open to referrals from TSA & LAWA)
Doors Open at 5:30 PM
Presentation Begins Promptly at 6:00 PM
Two additional opportunities (open to the public)
Saturday, May 22nd presentation begins promptly at 8:00 AM
Sunday, May 23rd presentation begins promptly at 4:30 PM
Proud Bird Restaurant
11022 Aviation Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90045
Free Parking

TSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
For more information about TSA, log onto www.tsa.gov
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Now Hiring
Transportation Security Officers (Screeners)

Part-time positions starting at $15.55 per hour Plus Benefits
(Includes 27.16% Locality Pay)
Full-Time Medical Benefits for Part Time Officers
No Previous Experience Required
Minimum Requirements:
U.S. Citizenship or U.S. National
High School Diploma, GED or Equivalent
English Proficiency
Pass a Background / Credit Check
Pass a Drug Screening
Hey, $15.55 is not burger flipper wages.
Old May 18, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
Hey, $15.55 is not burger flipper wages.
They left off the bit of being able to freely engage in ongoing criminal enterprises at the airports as long as you don't get caught.
Old May 18, 2010, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway
If your cuts are anything like they did at IAD (without a nude a scope implementation), then it screws us, the flying public and shouldn't be lauded by anyone. The time to get through security have increased dramatically with a severe decrease in staffing/open lines.
I didn't say it was a good thing! Our FTE has dropped by about 50. And I do expect the passengers to take the brunt of it in the end.
Old May 18, 2010, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

I didn't say it was a good thing! Our FTE has dropped by about 50. And I do expect the passengers to take the brunt of it in the end.
Translation: He expects that the passengers will suffer due to the lack of personnel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.