Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CBS News: "Air marshals say system a complete failure, another 9/11 could happen"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBS News: "Air marshals say system a complete failure, another 9/11 could happen"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

According to the [Federal Air Marshals], the double dipping Secret Service agent managers know nothing about air safety.
http://bit.ly/9ly3XW
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:35 pm

Just watched the story on WTSP, the CBS affiliate in Tampa. Their investigative reporter said they have been talking with 10 different FAMS over the past few weeks (all their identites are hidden). They also show a picture of a FAM supervisor supposidly working a flight asleep. You can watch or read the story on the website through the OP's link. Another bright shining moment for the TSA.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Of course another 9/11 will happen. In the time it takes me to post this, two people somewhere will die in a car crash, 20 will die of heart disease, 10 of cancer, 4 of malaria and 3 of AIDS. S**t happens. The only difference is that people don't think that having thousands of guys standing around in blue uniforms waving test strips over cups of coffee will reduce heart disease, even though it is about equally effective.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by willpolice4food
Sorry, but while I'd agree the system is broken, the FAMs busy exposing their admittedly lousy management blew their own credibility by this statement.

These federal agents blame the managers in the agency, who they say have a pre 9/11 mentality and mind. They say they are the ones who allowed 9/11 to happen.
9/11 didn't happen because there was inadequate gate security, or because we didn't have enough air marshals. It happened because airline crews were forbidden to resist hijackings, and because we missed the signs that the terrorists were planning a totally different kind of air terror.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:44 pm

Excellent report.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Good Guy
Excellent report.
In your eyes, is it accurate?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:08 pm

I wish there was a "Duh" Smiley
Another 911 attack could happen at any time and could not be stopped with current security measures.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by halls120
Sorry, but while I'd agree the system is broken, the FAMs busy exposing their admittedly lousy management blew their own credibility by this statement.
These federal agents blame the managers in the agency, who they say have a pre 9/11 mentality and mind. They say they are the ones who allowed 9/11 to happen.
9/11 didn't happen because there was inadequate gate security, or because we didn't have enough air marshals. It happened because airline crews were forbidden to resist hijackings, and because we missed the signs that the terrorists were planning a totally different kind of air terror.
Everybody wants to get in on the 9/11-as-an-excuse game...
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:09 pm

The article dead on.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 1:36 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by halls120
Exactly. If the passengers on the planes had been asked by the F/As to kill the a-holes wielding box cutters, not a single one of them would have been successful.

Originally Posted by Sean5294
I wish there was a "Duh" Smiley
Another 911 attack could happen at any time and could not be stopped with current security measures.
Actually, there is a single, simple security measure that has actually been taken that would have prevented 9/11. Changing the cockpit door from flimsy particleboard to steel-reinforced secured doors.

Strong cockpit doors and a kill the terrorists on the plane mentality. That's all that is needed.

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Everybody wants to get in on the 9/11-as-an-excuse game...
And the sad thing is that it has been 8 1/2 years. Hell, Giuliani is STILL trying to market himself on 9/11.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 1:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
.... typical part of the advocacy effort at expanding the workfare program for FAMs and to increase income/status of FAM workfare recipients.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 1:55 am

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
A few honest questions:

Did any FAM's stop any of the terrorists on any of the 4 planes involved in the attacks of September 11, 2001?

Have any FAM's ever stopped a 'Terrorist attack' over US or international soil?

I know, occasionally, they handcuff a drunk to his/her seat for a few hours until landing (I was almost that drunk once on a flight to China... Yeah... VERY LOW POINT in my travelling career)

I'm asking honest questions. I do not know the answers. Has the FAM program ever really saved hundreds of lives?

JB
Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jbart74
A few honest questions:

Did any FAM's stop any of the terrorists on any of the 4 planes involved in the attacks of September 11, 2001?

Have any FAM's ever stopped a 'Terrorist attack' over US or international soil?

I know, occasionally, they handcuff a drunk to his/her seat for a few hours until landing (I was almost that drunk once on a flight to China... Yeah... VERY LOW POINT in my travelling career)

I'm asking honest questions. I do not know the answers. Has the FAM program ever really saved hundreds of lives?

JB
It may have some deterrence value (but not against bombings). However, given a high cost of the program and alternative uses for the same money that could save more lives, that value gotten from the program may be negative overall in terms of saving lives.

So far, FAMs have taken out more unarmed people than they've taken out armed terrorists on planes and at airports.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:13 am

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It may have some deterrence value (but not against bombings). However, given a high cost of the program and alternative uses for the same money that could save more lives, that value gotten from the program may be negative overall in terms of saving lives.

So far, FAMs have taken out more unarmed people than they've taken out armed terrorists on planes and at airports.
That's kind of what I figured, like the one time I met one face to face after learning that I wouldn't be able to take my two bottles of DF vodka through customs in Tokyo on my way to Beijing. (I was much younger then, and travelling with 30 ballet dancers who really wanted to get drunk... so we did!)

Once the bottles were empty (about 60 minutes and six topless American Ballerinas later) I was given a choice by a good looking man with a badge. I could sit down, and go to sleep quietly, or he could handcuff me to my seat for the next 12 hours, or whatever was left. I very quietly sat down and passed out for 10 hours. No problem from me.

Ah to be young again! I was about to say I don't think anyone else minded, but that would be a silly thing to say as I really have no idea. I am sure we offended many people in that first hour or so... so for that I am sorry!

JB
Old Feb 1, 2010, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by N1120A
Actually, there is a single, simple security measure that has actually been taken that would have prevented 9/11. Changing the cockpit door from flimsy particleboard to steel-reinforced secured doors. Strong cockpit doors and a kill the terrorists on the plane mentality. That's all that is needed.
Amen.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.