Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Well, i don't believe I am resident gestapo, as I am about as anti-TSA as they come, and unlike I am guessing every other member of this board I actually affected real change in TSA's inane policies.
As I stated much earlier in this thread my tit-for-tat with Mocek is personal and can't be elaborated on without breaking forum rules.
Clearly it is more than just being personal as you stated you were making a contribution to the prosecution.

I am somewhat pleased the TSA testimony was more inane than I thought it would be, but other than that, this trial went about as most of us expected.
Who is "most of us"? Many of us were concerned that he would get a jury of "anything for security" types who would quickly find Phil guilty on some or all of the counts. I then expected the clowns over at the TSA blog to have a long post about how justice has prevailed and everyone needs to follow the rules and have ID for "security reasons."

I was dumbfounded when I saw that he was acquitted on all counts. I would be willing to guess that most people on this forum were as well.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:53 pm

Sorry I am late to the party

I am still without internet access so I was unable to comment until now.

Phil, congratulations on justice being served. Thank you for not pleading down.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Congratulations, Phil.

Originally Posted by bdschobel
It's probably worth noting, if not already obvious, that not everyone in the courtroom supported Phil.

It was very interesting (to me, anyway) to talk with many of the people who were there observing. The supporters of freedom still have plenty of work to do!
You couldn't be more correct. Washington DC is full of people who believe in the false security provided by unnecessary DHS and TSA policies and procedures. Unfortunately, they still have the upper hand.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:27 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
Clearly it is more than just being personal as you stated you were making a contribution to the prosecution.
utter non-sense. That is one of the reasons that shows it was personal,as I stated many times in this thread. I'd make the contribution again in heartbeat as it has to do with him, and nothing to do with the TSA. I am a very blessed person financially so my contribution to the city of Albuquerque was minute in the grand scheme; it was something noting the conflict between Mocek and myself. Nothing to can be discussed here to much without violating forum rules. But as I said before in this thread, my problem was with Mocek.

Who is "most of us"? Many of us were concerned that he would get a jury of "anything for security" types who would quickly find Phil guilty on some or all of the counts. I then expected the clowns over at the TSA blog to have a long post about how justice has prevailed and everyone needs to follow the rules and have ID for "security reasons."

I was dumbfounded when I saw that he was acquitted on all counts. I would be willing to guess that most people on this forum were as well.
Well as I read the media/blogosphere, most obversers thought he would be found innocent AFTER the prosecution delays were announced.
If the trial had gone forward on the original schedule I think a convection on 1 or 2 counts was very possible. The delays were very good for Mocek's defence.

My initial questions still stand. What has changed re: the TSA and policy/ Nothing. We are at status quo.

As I posted earlier today, the only way to change the TSA is with money, a good PR firm and lobbying firm, and a large single minded singled funded action group behind it. A local county case in New Mexico will not do it.

Ciao,
FH
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Well as I read the media/blogosphere, most obversers thought he would be found innocent AFTER the prosecution delays were announced.
If the trial had gone forward on the original schedule I think a convection on 1 or 2 counts was very possible. The delays were very good for Mocek's defence
I'm trying to understand this ... are you saying you would you have been happier for the prosecution to have not had these delays, not have located the video that showed them their witnesses as lying about what actually occurred, and instead prosecuted and yes, likely convicted someone actually innocent of the trumped up charges? That would've made you feel better?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:48 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by GoingAway
I'm trying to understand this ... are you saying you would you have been happier for the prosecution to have not had these delays, not have located the video that showed them their witnesses as lying about what actually occurred, and instead prosecuted and yes, likely convicted someone actually innocent of the trumped up charges? That would've made you feel better?
Haha, where did I say that?
I stated a legal analysis that many observers noted. The delays were most likely a positive for Phil.

Re-read my posts, and answer my basic questions, including:

What has changed today re:TSA and their inane, feckless policies?

Ciao,
FH
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:49 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdschobel
There was lots of testimony on that point. The police were not called because Phil did not provide an ID. LTSO Breedon said, "That happens all the time, many times a day." They absolutely did not call the police for that reason. They called the police after Phil began filming.That was not just a TSA employee but the most senior one on the scene, a "screening manager," who is above a 3-striper (and generally wears civilian clothing, not a uniform). It is conceivable that the screening manager committed the crime of battery by touching Phil, but the touch was fleeting and did no damage, so prosecution would be extraordinary under the circumstances.
That sounds about right.

Who is "most of us"? Many of us were concerned that he would get a jury of "anything for security" types who would quickly find Phil guilty on some or all of the counts.
Once I found out the video existed, I was no longer among them.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Haha, where did I say that?
I stated a legal analysis that many observers noted. The delays were most likely a positive for Phil.

Re-read my posts, and answer my basic questions, including:

Ciao,
FH
You stated it by being on the side of the Prosecutors ... still
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:54 pm

snip

answer my basic questions, including:

Ciao,
FH
The day Rosa Parks was arrested (or tried), what changed in the inane, feckless laws?

Every journey starts with a step. Phil, along with other brave souls, are taking the steps to start our journey towards real security without the abuse of power and other illegal acts committed by the TSA and local LE on behalf of the TSA.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
The day Rosa Parks was arrested (or tried), what changed in the inane, feckless laws?

Every journey starts with a step. Phil, along with other brave souls, are taking the steps to start our journey towards real security without the abuse of power and other illegal acts committed by the TSA and local LE on behalf of the TSA.
Utterly absurd, feckless comparison. I even noted some while ago on this thread this in no way compares to Rosa Parks. What a lazy response your post is.

Mocek and "the other souls" are doing nothing of the sort. I did more to change TSA in meeting with three Reps in 2004 than any of these people. I know others that spent even more and did more work from K street and affected change on the TSA. But sadly the likes of Skelator, as you call him here, have more money, and will continue with the current rules until you can organize a wealthy, large group to fight back were it counts.

The local ABQ court is not it, and unlike Rosa parks, the aburd rules of TSA apply to all (with minor exceptions like diplomats, FSDs, etc.).

But to go with your borderline offensive reference to a hero like Rosa Parks; she had the PR and a growing public behind her. She also did not get on the bus looking for a tangential fight. The public, or "kettles" are not behind Mocek's actions (look at the surverys/polls). Most of the media is not behind them either. Even the Seatle PI story linked above is laced with an anti-Mocek tone. Why? Because this is not the way to affect change and destroy the morons at DHS/TSA. I have listed the realistic way to do that many times.

I am glad the TSA rep looked boorish on the stand. My personal conflict with Mocek notwithstanding, but I ask again. What has changed at TSA?

Ciao,
FH
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:23 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
My initial questions still stand. What has changed re: the TSA and policy/ Nothing. We are at status quo.
Maybe you are correct. But it would exceptionally myopic to think that change only happens if the policy was quickly changed. There could be a whole host of changes that occur down the road. Only time will tell.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:39 pm

Maybe you are correct. But it would exceptionally myopic to think that change only happens if the policy was quickly changed. There could be a whole host of changes that occur down the road. Only time will tell.
And you think this is going to cause those changes and the masses to rise up and challenge the TSA policies when a majority of the US population agrees with them, absurd as they are?

You want change-organise. Rally in DC, spend money on PR and advertising, blitz congress. None of that is happening. It takes time and money. I have both, and offered on prior threads to contribute but most of you would rather sit on the sideline, or go off on some tangent trial like this than affect real change. Don't be an internet hero. Put some money and time where your beliefs are and actually make the change happen and destroy the inane TSA policies.

Ciao,
FH
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:20 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I have mixed feelings on this. Not the outcome, which is great. The fact that Phil was willing to put his money, time, and freedom at risk for his beliefs is admirable. The fact that the authorities were willing to waste the taxpayers' money on a futile prosecution is further evidence of their incompetence, as if we needed that.

All of the above is 100% in favor of Phil. So why do I have mixed feelings? Because IMHO Phil had many opportunities to end the confrontation, yet he chose to prolong it. Those decisions turned this incident into a political protest, regardless of whether it began innocently and without pre-planning.

In my opinion, the legislature (Congress) is the proper place to seek change in the law. Legislators are best equipped to weigh all the interests against each other. Judges tend to have a more one-dimensional view. Judicial decisions make bad law, and their law is undemocratic and harder to correct. For this reason, I cannot be a fan of people who attempt to use the courts to effect change undemocratically when they have not exhausted the democratic legislative possibilities. Of course it's easier to persuade one judge to agree with you than to persuade a majority of Congress, especially if you have some control over which judge hears your case, but democracy requires the latter approach.

I'm happy for Phil, but I hope that protesters apply pressure to Congress in the future rather than playing rulebook games with the TSA. I think Congress is ready to consider some changes now, especially given the public's distaste for the new scanning machines.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
OMNI/PR here we come.

Originally Posted by nsx
So why do I have mixed feelings? Because IMHO Phil had many opportunities to end the confrontation, yet he chose to prolong it. Those decisions turned this incident into a political protest, regardless of whether it began innocently and without pre-planning.
How did he prolong it? What opportunities did he have to end the confrontation.

Originally Posted by nsx
In my opinion, the legislature (Congress) is the proper place to seek change in the law.
The governing law is the Constitution.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I have mixed feelings on this. Not the outcome, which is great. The fact that Phil was willing to put his money, time, and freedom at risk for his beliefs is admirable. The fact that the authorities were willing to waste the taxpayers' money on a futile prosecution is further evidence of their incompetence, as if we needed that.

All of the above is 100% in favor of Phil. So why do I have mixed feelings? Because IMHO Phil had many opportunities to end the confrontation, yet he chose to prolong it. Those decisions turned this incident into a political protest, regardless of whether it began innocently and without pre-planning.

In my opinion, the legislature (Congress) is the proper place to seek change in the law. Legislators are best equipped to weigh all the interests against each other. Judges tend to have a more one-dimensional view. Judicial decisions make bad law, and their law is undemocratic and harder to correct. For this reason, I cannot be a fan of people who attempt to use the courts to effect change undemocratically when they have not exhausted the democratic legislative possibilities. Of course it's easier to persuade one judge to agree with you than to persuade a majority of Congress, especially if you have some control over which judge hears your case, but democracy requires the latter approach.

I'm happy for Phil, but I hope that protesters apply pressure to Congress in the future rather than playing rulebook games with the TSA. I think Congress is ready to consider some changes now, especially given the public's distaste for the new scanning machines.
outstanding post.

Ciao,
FH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.