Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by pmocek
On their Facebook wall, they wrote:
The comments are great so far.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:29 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by PoliceStateSurvivor
Not quite. Google "Michael Nifong".
Nifong was removed from office and disbarred due to professional misconduct and ethical violations and was criminally prosecuted for criminal contempt; however, like every other prosecutor in the United States he has absolute immunity from tort liability for monetary damages for malicious prosecution.

The latest case from SCOTUS upholding absolute prosecutorial immunity is Van de Kamp v. Goldstein (2009), a 9-0 decision.

That was followed by the 11th Circuit, in Rehberg v. Paulk, in July 2010 which held that:
Absolute immunity accordingly applies to the prosecutor's actions "in initiating a prosecution and in presenting the State's case." Imbler, 424 U.S. at 431, 96 S.Ct. at 995. Prosecutors are immune for appearances in judicial proceedings, including prosecutorial conduct before grand juries, statements made during trial, examination of witnesses, and presentation of evidence in support of a search warrant during a probable cause hearing. Burns v. Reed, 500 U.S. 478, 490-92, 111 S.Ct. 1934, 1942, 114 L.Ed.2d 547 (1991); Kalina v. Fletcher, 522 U.S. 118, 126, 118 S.Ct. 502, 507-08, 139 L.Ed.2d 471 (1997); see also Van de Kamp, 129 S.Ct. at 861. "A prosecutor enjoys absolute immunity from allegations stemming from the prosecutor's function as advocate." Jones, 174 F.3d at 1281. Such absolute immunity also "extends to a prosecutor's acts undertaken. . . in preparing for the initiation of judicial proceedings or for trial, and which occur in the course of his role as an advocate for the State." Id. (quotation marks omitted); accord Rowe v. City of Fort Lauderdale, 279 F.3d 1271, 1279-80 (11th Cir.2002) (holding prosecutor who proffered perjured testimony and fabricated exhibits at trial is entitled to absolute immunity, but a prosecutor who participated in the search of a suspect's apartment is entitled to only qualified immunity).

If a prosecutor functions in a capacity unrelated to his role as an advocate for the state, he is not protected by absolute immunity but enjoys only qualified immunity. Kalina, 522 U.S. at 121, 118 S.Ct. at 505 (concluding prosecutor was acting as a witness in personally attesting to truth of averments in a "Certification for Determination of Probable Cause" for an arrest warrant and was not absolutely immune for that witness act, but that prosecutor was absolutely immune for preparing and filing an "information charging respondent with burglary and a motion for an arrest warrant).

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 19, 2011 at 4:35 pm
Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Nifong was removed from office and disbarred due to professional misconduct and ethical violations and was criminally prosecuted for criminal contempt; however, like every other prosecutor in the United States he has absolute immunity from tort liability for monetary damages for malicious prosecution.
I believe he was sued by his victims for damages. The suit alleges that Nifong "engineered a conspiracy to frame the players". Granted, it is a stronger allegation than malicious prosecution, but it shows that there is a way around prosecutorial immunity.

To my knowledge, the suit has not been dismissed. In fact, Nifong filed for bankruptcy because of it.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:43 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by PoliceStateSurvivor
I believe he was sued by his victims for damages. The suit alleges that Nifong "engineered a conspiracy to frame the players". Granted, it is a stronger allegation than malicious prosecution, but it shows that there is a way around prosecutorial immunity.

To my knowledge, the suit has not been dismissed. In fact, Nifong filed for bankruptcy because of it.
All I can do is suggest that you read the United States Supreme Court and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit cases which I linked in my earlier posts.

Those are controlling precedents. Cases pending in trial courts in other states have no precedential value and are not citable authorities.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Good Luck, Phil!
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by TWA884

The latest case from SCOTUS upholding absolute prosecutorial immunity is Van de Kamp v. Goldstein (2009), a 9-0 decision.

That was followed by the 11th Circuit, in Rehberg v. Paulk, in July 2010 which held that:
What do you think of the applicability of Iqbal in this context?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:24 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Mimi111
Best of luck! Sending good vibes.
Yes ^ and I am as well.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
Yes ^ and I am as well.
Phil, I know you didn't start out to be an American hero, but, that may well turn out to be the case. I'm a guy of faith, so I have no problem declaring that my prayers are with you tomorrow for the wisdom of your attorneys and the judge. There's a lot at stake.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:58 pm

Found this article: "Phil Mocek: On Trial For Being TSA Checkpoint Worker's Worst Nightmare." http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/daily...oint_trial.php

Good luck tomorrow, Phil!
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Forget about suing anybody. Everyone is either indemnified or has sovereign immunity. Everyone will claim -- perhaps honestly -- to have acted in good faith. And the threat of a lawsuit will make everybody dig their heels in even deeper than they already are. This is not helpful to Phil.

An acquittal by the jury would be great, but dropping the charges is just as good. No precedents are going to be set either way. Let's just worry about Phil and not try to make this case into more than it is.

Bruce
Aww shucks! OK.

Well it's too late in life for me to adopt the latest styles, so I've been praying for Phil, his lawyers, the court and even the prosecution.

I pray Phil is not harmed, and that wisdom and mercy prevail.

Best of luck tomorrow folks.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElizabethConley
Aww shucks! OK.

Well it's too late in life for me to adopt the latest styles, so I've been praying for Phil, his lawyers, the court and even the prosecution.

I pray Phil is not harmed, and that wisdom and mercy prevail.

Best of luck tomorrow folks.
Me, too. If the One above all can perform a miracle in Tuscon, we can surely depend upon Him with Phil in NM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The comments are great so far.
I would like to ask this DA if she thinks it should be a requirement to show ID in order to travel.

Followed up with "only by plane" or "by plane or train or bus" or "by private auto before starting on a trip" if she said yes?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Ironically, two very stern-looking TSA sentries, one male and one female, decided to "randomly" check IDs at the gate for my flight from LGA to DEN (where I am now). I was the first to board the flight and just scooted past them uneventfully. The irony of having to show ID in the most unnecessary of circumstances on my way to Phil's trial would have been almost too much to bear!

Unfortunately, due to a flight delay and need to reroute, I'll be arriving in ABQ at 11:04, which is pretty late, especially with the 2-hour time change. But I'll be at the courthouse tomorrow morning at 9. No electronic devices are permitted in the courtroom, so there will be no instant reports, unfortunately.

Bruce
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Phil, I know you didn't start out to be an American hero, but, that may well turn out to be the case. I'm a guy of faith, so I have no problem declaring that my prayers are with you tomorrow for the wisdom of your attorneys and the judge. There's a lot at stake.
^

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I would like to ask this DA if she thinks it should be a requirement to show ID in order to travel.

Followed up with "only by plane" or "by plane or train or bus" or "by private auto before starting on a trip" if she said yes?
It would be interesting to hear her response. I don't think she did herself any favors by posting on either site but it may very well work to the defense's advantage.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 20, 2011 at 3:24 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:44 am

It would be interesting to hear her response. I don't think she did herself any favors by posting on either site but it may very well work to the defense's advantage.

There is a remote possibility it was strategic to allow for another Motion to Dismiss, thereby allowing the judge to toss the charges due to the inability to secure a fair trial in the jurisdiction.

Yes, I have known prosecutors to occasionally do what seemed to be openly stupid things to get rid of a hot potato that they could not make their own motion to dismiss on...does not happen often, but it HAS happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.