Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Sapphire Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2009, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA (former CO), TrueBlue, Etc.
Gentles, I know I'm not a mod, but maybe this discussion is for a different topic (or forum even)?

freeflyin: I sent a secure message to Chase to opt out.. I also asked them to confirm that the terms,including the 3% would remain.They responded that all original terms would stay as is.

I much prefer emailing them,as I then have responses in writing if I encounter a problem later.
@freeflyin - did you get a response on this yet? I didn't see an "opt-out" provision on my mailer. Can you post the terms?

Incidentally, I've begun keeping a log of names, ID numbers, time, date, and the contents of my calls. I read about doing that in I Will Teach You To Be Rich and decided that it was a very good idea. When you can rattle that info off - especially if you don't have email support - it works really well.
Old May 15, 2009, 5:43 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by patchmonkey

@freeflyin - did you get a response on this yet? I didn't see an "opt-out" provision on my mailer. Can you post the terms?
As I posted earlier,the letter I received regarding my Chase Freedom(not Plus) was simply to inform me that they were upgrading it to a Signature card.

It also said if you wished to opt-out to call the number on the back of the card. I sent a secure message instead,preferring to have it in writing.

Their reply confirmed that my card would remain the same with no upgrade and terms remain also.

If I find later they actually change,then I'll call to cancel and move the credit line to another card.
Old May 15, 2009, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by freeflyin
As I posted earlier,the letter I received regarding my Chase Freedom(not Plus) was simply to inform me that they were upgrading it to a Signature card.

It also said if you wished to opt-out to call the number on the back of the card. I sent a secure message instead,preferring to have it in writing.

Their reply confirmed that my card would remain the same with no upgrade and terms remain also.

If I find later they actually change,then I'll call to cancel and move the credit line to another card.
freeflyin - I don't have a "Freedom Plus" (as far as I know, especially since I never had an annual fee before). However, this is the message I just got back:

We have received your inquiry regarding the changes that
will be made to your Chase Freedom Card account on June
30, 2009.

Unfortunately, all Chase Freedom Card accounts will be
changed to this new format. You will be unable to opt out
of these changes. We apologize for any inconvenience this
may cause you.

Your Chase card should reward you for everyday purchases
in a wide variety of categories and allow you more
flexibility to redeem at your convenience. With this in
mind, we have restructured your rewards to be more
encompassing and built an online site where you can manage
and redeem your rewards for more options than ever before.

The good news is that there will be no change to your
account number and you get to keep all the rewards you've
already earned. Plus, with the new program you'll receive
additional benefits and rewards like:

"Now there are no more caps and your rewards never
expire."
"A new online site that allows you to redeem for what you
want including gift cards and million of products."

For more information regarding the Sapphire rewards
program, you will need to contact us at 888-320-9961.

If you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center.

Thank you,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
E-Mail Customer Service Representative

1-800-436-7927

Account is owned by Chase Bank USA, N.A. and may be
serviced by its affiliates.
Old May 15, 2009, 9:06 am

Thanks for posting this..I'll be on the look out for additional mailings on my Freedom card.

Kind of bizarre that there appear to be different versions of this mailing going out and obviously conflicting replies from Chase
Old May 15, 2009, 11:44 am

Strangely enough, they just sent me a SECOND response:

Good afternoon! Thank you for your recent inquiry. It is
important to us that we promptly address your concerns
regarding your account.

Our records indicate that your account will automatically
be enrolled in the Ultimate Rewards Program on 06/30/2009.

Please review your new terms below:

You will earn 1% per $1.00 spent on all purchases and an
additional 1% on online airline purchases. In addition,
you will earn an additional 2% on gas, grocery, and fast
food purchases with a $12.00 monthly cap. There is no cap
for the 1% earnings. There is no expiration dates for the
rebates earned. There is a $30.00 annual fee with the
first year free. Once your account has migrated, please
allow until after June 30, 2009, to verify if your account
is eligible to product trade the Sapphire Rewards Program.

Please review the additional benefits the Ultimate Rewards
Program has to offer below:

· 3% bonus cash back opportunities on a variety of
purchases throughout the year
· A new online site that allows you to redeem for what you
want including gift cards
and millions of products.
· Get cash back starting at $50
· New redemption options such as entertainment, sports,
parks and recreation, and wine and
culinary.

In addition, you can also earn up to 10%/points or rebate
bonus rewards per $1 spent in
the online Ultimate Rewards Mall.

Please be assured that we value our business relationship
with you. We hope you find the new Chase Freedom with
Ultimate Rewards will benefit you. We offer you our
commitment of providing you customer service of the
highest caliber.

If you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center.
Old May 16, 2009, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA, BA
Originally Posted by Happy
[B]About SPG, you earn 1 SPG pt per spending, that is 1%. When you exchange 20K SPG pts for miles, some airlines, such as AA, you get a 5K bonus. So 20K SPG pts net you 25K AA miles.
25/20 = 1.25 - so $1 spent get you 1.25 miles, if this is not 1.25% then I dont know where you learn your math.
Technically, yes, it's a 1.25% rebate rate. But it's foolish to say it's a 1.25% rate of return, which is the kind of rate that reward card holders generally use to compare cards. It's easier for everyone if the value of the benefit and the value of the spending required to obtain the benefit have the same dimension.
Old May 16, 2009, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tintagel
Technically, yes, it's a 1.25% rebate rate. But it's foolish to say it's a 1.25% rate of return, which is the kind of rate that reward card holders generally use to compare cards. It's easier for everyone if the value of the benefit and the value of the spending required to obtain the benefit have the same dimension.
Another example of people NOT read post carefully.

Please read it again, this is what I said:

"when the rebate rate is only 1.25%, only when you exchange it to airline miles."

Is reading and comprehend content correctly such a difficult task?

Or people dont even have the reading skill to see the statement has a Qualifier: only when you exchange it to airline miles.

No wonder so many dont understand Ts and Cs on many things, credit cards included, because they probably dont process the ability to carefully read through a full sentence!
Old May 16, 2009, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
Another example of people NOT read post carefully.

Please read it again, this is what I said:

"when the rebate rate is only 1.25%, only when you exchange it to airline miles."

Is reading and comprehend content correctly such a difficult task?

Or people dont even have the reading skill to see the statement has a Qualifier: only when you exchange it to airline miles.

No wonder so many dont understand Ts and Cs on many things, credit cards included, because they probably dont process the ability to carefully read through a full sentence!
Wow, everyone seems to be having reading comprehensions problems.

1 Starpoint = 1.25miles when you swap 20K starpoints for 25K airline miles.

Introducing the "%" only causes confusion, because those 25K miles can equal a wide cash rate of return depending on how you use those them (free ticket, upgrade, whatever).

When you say "1.25"%, its very confusing because people equate that to a 1-2% cash rebate card's cash return.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Chase now has a web page up for the Sapphire card. Two levels of the card.

http://www.chasesapphire.com/
Old Jun 5, 2009, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Chase Sapphire preferred has better benefits plus 25k points sign up bonus, free for the first year and points can be transferred 1 to 1 to major airlines and hotel programs. However, I could not find which airlines or hotels are participating.
http://www.chasesapphire.com/chase-s...er-details_500
Old Jun 5, 2009, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Chase Sapphire preferred has better benefits plus 25k points sign up bonus, free for the first year and points can be transferred 1 to 1 to major airlines and hotel programs. However, I could not find which airlines or hotels are participating.
http://www.chasesapphire.com/chase-s...er-details_500
It doesn't seem like a bad card... no annual fee first year, 25K 'points' ... If they do for example convert directly to AAdvantage miles, it is pretty much like a Citi AAdvantage sign on bonus...
Old Jun 5, 2009, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thehawk75
It doesn't seem like a bad card... no annual fee first year, 25K 'points' ... If they do for example convert directly to AAdvantage miles, it is pretty much like a Citi AAdvantage sign on bonus...
Yes, but without ability to churn. And also, Citi AA has 30k sign on bonus
Old Jun 5, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Yes, but without ability to churn.
Indeed.

And also, Citi AA has 30k sign on bonus
Semantics..

It was easier to be brief, as opposed to saying 'the Citi AAdvantage bonus that everyone had been using and thought was great and was churning until recently as there is a better one with 30K...' Or something along those lines, but, alas you've dragged it out of me anyway.

Still worth it if you don't have your credit profile filled with inquiries (from Citi in my case), and you've just recently got your 2 personal and 1 business citi card. Something else to throw into the mix, and hell, maybe keep it for a year and see what their 'sapphire program' is all about.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 4:29 pm

Indeed.

Semantics..

It was easier to be brief, as opposed to saying 'the Citi AAdvantage bonus that everyone had been using and thought was great and was churning until recently as there is a better one with 30K...' Or something along those lines, but, alas you've dragged it out of me anyway.

Still worth it if you don't have your credit profile filled with inquiries (from Citi in my case), and you've just recently got your 2 personal and 1 business citi card. Something else to throw into the mix, and hell, maybe keep it for a year and see what their 'sapphire program' is all about.
I agree that this looks to be a decent one year card. Do you know if Chase caps the number of their cards you can have?
Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
You can ONLY transfer to the following programs:

Continental Airlines,
British Airways
Marriott International
InterContinental Hotels Group

(1 Ultimate Rewards point = 1 travel rewards point)

Not exactly an impressive offering on this front...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.