Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United Mileage Plus Chase Visa - How often can I apply?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2007, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum

I know that Chase will not give repeat bonus miles for the same exact credit card product. So I have started to apply for the other Chase United Mileage Plus Visa cards.

I have a United Mileage Plus Visa (got the 20,000 miles last year).

I just got approved for the United Mileage Plus Gold Class Visa card with 20,000 bonus miles (first year fee waived).

I want to apply for the United Mileage Plus Platinum Business Card with 20,000 bonus miles (first year fee waived).

My question - Do I have to wait between credit card applications (similar to the Citibank/AAdvantage 60 day wait period)? Can I apply and get approved now?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by whynotgo
I know that Chase will not give repeat bonus miles for the same exact credit card product. So I have started to apply for the other Chase United Mileage Plus Visa cards.

I have a United Mileage Plus Visa (got the 20,000 miles last year).

I just got approved for the United Mileage Plus Gold Class Visa card with 20,000 bonus miles (first year fee waived).

I want to apply for the United Mileage Plus Platinum Business Card with 20,000 bonus miles (first year fee waived).

My question - Do I have to wait between credit card applications (similar to the Citibank/AAdvantage 60 day wait period)? Can I apply and get approved now?
I believe the Personal and Business products are separate and a recent application on a personal card won't generate the "you have too recently applied for credit with chase" letter when apply for a business card.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:17 pm

I've read many of the threads here and it seems that the bonuses are limited to 1 personal and 1 business. I would be interested to know if others [I assume it's too early for you to know] have gotten bonuses for the different classes of the Chase United personal card [platinum, visa signature, Gold]. Also, you can get 25K miles on signup, first year free with this biz app:

http://www.firstusa.com/cgi-bin/webc...cont&mkid=6VMT
Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I'm pretty sure the best you can do is sign-up bonuses for one personal and one business card. Chase won't give additional bonuses for other cards, even if they fall into different categories (Gold, Patinum, etc.).
Old Aug 1, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Folks are currently attempting to figure out how long you have to go between closing cards and signing up again to again get sign-up bonuses. It'll take some time, especially if it doesn't work with the first attempted timeframe(3 months)
Old Aug 2, 2007, 8:33 am

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Moderator Hat On

While this thread does mention miles in terms of the fact that the Chase card gives you UA miles, questions about Chase's banking policies in regards to whether multiple bonuses are paid usually stay here.

If the OP wanted to figure out where the best place to fly with these miles was, that would be a more appropriate thread for UA.

Moderator Hat Off
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Folks are currently attempting to figure out how long you have to go between closing cards and signing up again to again get sign-up bonuses. It'll take some time, especially if it doesn't work with the first attempted timeframe(3 months)
This won't work any more.. Chase put their foot down finally last December. If you've had a UMP Visa in the past and received a signup bonus, you won't be able to get it again, no matter how long you wait.

Another idea that came up a while ago would be that when you apply don't put your UMP # in the app, and they'll assign a new one. You can then either book a ticket from that account, or merge it with an existing UMP account. But not sure if this would work.. i.e. if Chase tracked this by SSN or something.

Last edited by JeffISU; Aug 16, 2007 at 12:02 pm Reason: added another question
Old Aug 27, 2007, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 650k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Chase MP Visa vs. Chase RR Visa, or not?

Originally Posted by JeffISU
This won't work any more.. Chase put their foot down finally last December. If you've had a UMP Visa in the past and received a signup bonus, you won't be able to get it again, no matter how long you wait.
As you've probably seen on the Southwest board, there is a super offer for getting a Chase Rapid Rewards Visa: 16 Southwest Rapid Rewards credits (a roundtrip ticket). I have had a Chase Mileage Plus Visa for many years. If I sign up for the RR Visa and make a purchase, will I receive the 16 RR credits? The rules specifically say that the offer is for people who have not had a "Chase RR Visa". But given Chase's reticence to give out more than one bonus, what is the consensus? This is where I trust FT more than someone trying to sell me a credit card.

This one isn't without risk, as the card's annual fee is $59.

Thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 7:30 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Firewind
I have had a Chase Mileage Plus Visa for many years....The rules specifically say that the offer is for people who have not had a "Chase RR Visa".
Holding a "Mileage Plus" VISA cannot disqualify you from receiving a "Rapids Rewards" VISA bonus. Remember, Chase must purchase those credits from Southwest, and Southwest wants to sell as many as possible. Why would Southwest partner with a bank that would deny bonuses to customers who also patronize other carriers?
Old Aug 27, 2007, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 650k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thank you for the good news. I confess that underlying my question was confusion over who is in the driver's seat -- the credit card company or the frequent flyer program -- with these. When I'm dealing with my Mileage Plus Choices account, MP takes pains to clarify that it's Chase who "owns" it, as I've also seen reflected on the FT Mileage Plus boards.

Thanks again for the quick reply.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 1:16 pm

I can confirm that you can get 20K miles for the personal, and 20K for business.

I closed the Personal card when the time for the annual fee came in. Then I reapplied and opened one, but did not get the miles. I called to tell Chase that, and they said I had a card opened and had all the dates. They told me I should recieve a letter from marketing informing me of their decision to get or deny bonus miles.

My UAL business card will hit the annual fee quiet soon, at which point I will close it and try re-opening. I will post experiences if I get the miles.

I do however, remember the Chase business dept. opening up a new account with 20K miles (ignoring the account number I gave them) and then me having to write a letter to consolidate to my account. That worked for the two individual bonuses.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold (1MM), SPG Gold, HHonors Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by pred02
I can confirm that you can get 20K miles for the personal, and 20K for business.
Thanks for confirming...I was just about to apply for the Business card, but wandered over here to get this answer first.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 7:27 pm

It seems to be OK to apply for the best personal card promo, and later apply for the then best business card promo. Or, vice versa.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 7:17 am

Personal card - it seems that you can get the bonus miles only once. I closed my United card after I hit the annual free (12 months from opening it), and when I re-opened it, I wasn't able to get the miles.

Business card on top of personal card - you get the miles at least once for sure.

Ironically, after I opened the business card I kept getting the United VISA business card offers in the mail. I wonder if I could re-apply for the business card if I would get 20K miles again. And coincidentaly, the business card does NOT ask for your United Mileage Plus number. They open a new account for you, at which point you call Mileage Plus, and they ask you to send a written request to merge two accounts.

Once my business card hits the annual fee, I will cancel it and re-apply. Then I will post to see if I still get the bonus miles.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
I've been successful with other banks in getting repeat bonuses after leaving a card closed for more than a year. This includes stickler US Bank, where I got a "one-time" REI bonus again after maybe 18 months without an active card. I expect this might work for their NWA card as well, and for Chase. The change in Chase's policy away from "sky's the limit" churning is too recent to know definitively how long a card must be closed to get a new bonus, but I'd say a year at a minimum. Most people aren't patient enough to wait that long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.