Wiki Posts
Search

CSR - Travel protection while living abroad

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2023, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
CSR - Travel protection while living abroad

I have been living abroad for around 9 years and I’ve kept / acquired a few of my US credit cards in order to continue earning rewards. Just recently a friend of mine here broke her arm before embarking on a trip and unfortunately wasn’t able to receive any compensation for canceling it due to her not having any travel insurance.

This got me thinking as I also do not have a separate travel insurance and have always relied on the travel protections offered by Chase on my CSR to handle any such issues that may arise. Luckily I’ve never had to use them, but in case I would have to in the future, I want to make sure I would be covered.

Does anyone know if I would still have travel protection even though I live outside of the US? Officially from Chase’s perspective I live at my US mailing address and I know that some protections don’t apply for “trips” longer than 60 days. Though I would risk losing the card should I inform them I’ve moved abroad (I believe?).

Any advice here? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Ben21; Feb 26, 2023 at 5:56 am
Old Feb 26, 2023, 6:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ben21
....I would risk losing the card should I inform them I’ve moved abroad (I believe?).
Why do you think this? The online address change form includes an International address option.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Why do you think this? The online address change form includes an International address option.
Ah really? That’s awesome! Admittedly I only thought that there’s a risk of having the card closed due to some articles I’ve read online. Though maybe the restriction is only on applying for new cards while not resident in the US.

Thanks for the tip!
Old Feb 26, 2023, 7:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I don't even have too look at the terms to know with almost certainty that living abroad will not be covered
trooper likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Super Mario
I don't even have too look at the terms to know with almost certainty that living abroad will not be covered
Could you elaborate why?
Old Feb 26, 2023, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Do the T&C say anything about about where you are domiciled? If the OP lives in Paris and buys a flight from Paris to Hong Kong will the travel benefits not apply?
Old Feb 26, 2023, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philemer
Do the T&C say anything about about where you are domiciled? If the OP lives in Paris and buys a flight from Paris to Hong Kong will the travel benefits not apply?
In the guide to benefits it mentions “permanent residence” but doesn’t specify it has to be in the US. Hence the question. I have yet to find anything specifying that you must live in the US for the benefits to apply, though I could be missing something somewhere.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 8:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Nothing in the terms and conditions indicate you have to be a resident of the US. If it’s not in the terms and conditions, Chase would have a hard time denying coverage. Some other card issuers (Amex) do have wordings that exclude non-US residents.
philemer and Ben21 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 2:56 am

I'm curious about the 60 day terms on the travel insurance benefits with CSR. In an example where someone is traveling extensively outside of the U.S for one year or more for example taking trips every few months to different places. How is the 60 day thing defined?
like for example, a U.S residence spends 45 days in France, 65 days in Turkey, 30 days in Africa, and then back to U.S. would bookings for the trip back to the U.S be covered with CSR benefits or not in this example?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.