Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase removes email option for verification codes.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase removes email option for verification codes.

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
May have to start using my Google voice number for this..
Chase doesn’t text GV numbers, and I’m not sure they call them any more either.
Old May 5, 2022, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by avidrissman
Chase doesn’t text GV numbers, and I’m not sure they call them any more either.
Can confirm that they do not. This has long been an issue, my old US cell number is on GV. I have some UR travel booked and I haven’t had a text, phone call or email about the repeated schedule changes.

loss of email verification is a bit of a bummer
Old May 6, 2022, 8:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by oldfolky
[...]
My only disagreement is with "a bit" as description of the bummer. For me, it was a significant inconvenience, especially as the front-line CSRs didn't know it had been discontinued and were at a loss.
Old May 6, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by oldfolky
Can confirm that they do not. This has long been an issue, my old US cell number is on GV. I have some UR travel booked and I haven’t had a text, phone call or email about the repeated schedule changes.

I didn't even know that; my GV number is the only number on my Chase account since my wife and I share it. I guess I'll now have to add both our individual cell numbers as backups.
Old May 6, 2022, 1:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by strickerj
[...] I guess I'll now have to add both our individual cell numbers as backups.
Good idea to have a backup. Chase regularly wants to verify my identity and lists only one of the multiple numbers in my Chase profile plus numbers that were removed from my Chase profile weeks or months ago.
SPN Lifer and strickerj like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: United Mileageplus
Yes just experiencing the same on the website. Email option gone and it no longer will call Google Voice numbers. Since I use a foreign SIM when traveling abroad there is no option to get a code. Yes, I can use the app but that's not what I want to do in this case. How stupid to remove essential functionality without providing an alternative. I wonder if a convoluted workaround is to give them my US number, then call it using google voice to see if I can retrieve the code from voicemail.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 6:32 am

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
I just tested - I did get a call on my GV number with the code - but not SMS like I used to before. Will test again in a few days to check if my luck runs out.
B747-437B and EmailKid like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 12:57 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ag2018
Yes just experiencing the same on the website. Email option gone and it no longer will call Google Voice numbers. Since I use a foreign SIM when traveling abroad there is no option to get a code. Yes, I can use the app but that's not what I want to do in this case. How stupid to remove essential functionality without providing an alternative. I wonder if a convoluted workaround is to give them my US number, then call it using google voice to see if I can retrieve the code from voicemail.
Wont work
If I recall correctly when you answer they ask you to enter # then you get your code.
Old May 28, 2022, 7:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
My Chase account still receives verification codes by email. The account has a mix of Business and Personal cards. I think the reason that I can continue to receive email codes is on this page, where I see:

https://secure05b.chase.com/web/auth...MyPhoneDetails

We don't have a primary phone number listed for you.
Please add one (or click "Add accounts or make primary" to make one of your other phone numbers your primary). We use your primary phone number first if we need to reach you about chase.com and your accounts.
My phone number is displayed there, but Chase does not recognize it as Primary. I have tried several times to designate it, but the page displayed does not match the instructions. I don't know if there is a way to intentionally configure an account to not have a Primary telephone number, but you may wish to play.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:51 am

Now this will be interesting. I’ll be receiving my new Chase card soon. But I’m not living in the US at the moment. When I applied, they called my GV number to verify all my details and approved my card. I’m wondering if I’ll have issues activating my card or setting up an online account with only my GV number.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know T-mobile and Verizon have handy apps you can use to receive regular SMS messages over your data connection. I assume AT&T does too. Verizon's is called Message+ and T-mobile's is Digits. I have used Message+ to send/receive SMS from my Verizon number while using a foreign SIM.

With the advent of eSIMs, you can (at least on iPhone) set the phone to use the Verizon SIM through the roaming eSIM - to Verizon it appears you're using wifi calling.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I had this problem domestically recently. Chase has my landline # on my account. I was trying to log in on a my laptop from a new location. I finally called THEM (that's one of the options). That was her solution for when I go to Europe: call them collect. Phooey on that. Collect calls in Italy are a nightmare, un vero incubo. I asked if I'd have to re-verify on this same computer every time I was at a new IP address, and she said yes. But it hasn't worked that way this trip. I've used two new internet services and not had to re-verify. Maybe I'm good for the device now.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by yowflyer
Now this will be interesting. I’ll be receiving my new Chase card soon. But I’m not living in the US at the moment. When I applied, they called my GV number to verify all my details and approved my card. I’m wondering if I’ll have issues activating my card or setting up an online account with only my GV number.
OK, it seems like Google Voice works for me. When I activated my account, I was able to get a verification number by email. Receiving SMS messages to my Google Voice account was hit and miss. However, I could receive a phone call to my Google Voice number where they’d read out the code. So looks like that’s an ok solution.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:59 am

I came upon this thread while searching for a way to get email 2FA for the website and turns out the answer is, You have to add an additional email to your chase account

Then switch the option that says what it's used for to Online Security

Now I am trying to figure out a way to remove SMS 2FA because sim swapping of course
Alkalite likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Translogic
I came upon this thread while searching for a way to get email 2FA for the website and turns out the answer is, You have to add an additional email to your chase account

Then switch the option that says what it's used for to Online Security

Now I am trying to figure out a way to remove SMS 2FA because sim swapping of course
Welcome to FlyerTalk, and thank you for investigating this.

But are you sure it works? My existing email with Chase says it is used for Online security, and I don't have the option to get 2FA messages to email. [Edit to add: I think I followed your instructions, and I did not get an option to receive a code by email. If you would provide detailed step-by-step instructions, I would appreciate it.]

I assume you saw post #24 in this thread. Good luck.
Happy likes this.

Last edited by serpens; Jun 19, 2022 at 12:35 pm Reason: Add results of testing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.