Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase CC payment not credited, but funds gone from Chase checking.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K

Does this annoy anyone else? Say you have 20K in your checking and your credit card balance is 5K. You go onto the Chase site and pay the full balance. Checking account goes to 15K but credit card balance still shows 5K for a couple days.

I transfer money all time between business and personal checking, personal checking to personal savings and it's instant. For some reason the credit card payment just goes into the Bermuda Triangle for 2-3 days. It does show on the checking ledger as "pending" but I don't usually look there too often. I'd expect it to just show up in the balance like it does when I move money between other accounts. This just seems different than other "pending" items since it's all inside of Chase.

I realize this is kind of a first-world problem but it has worried me at times because I think I have a lot less money than I actually do. I once paid the balance twice since I looked at the CC balance and forgot I had already paid a couple days prior (I suppose that is what I get for paying bills after drinking).
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
So I assume this is a Chase checking account?
Old Dec 11, 2020, 7:04 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Are you initiating the payment from the credit card or from the checking account?
Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So I assume this is a Chase checking account?
Yep, everything is Chase

Originally Posted by tonei
Are you initiating the payment from the credit card or from the checking account?
From the credit card's, "make payement" screen. I've done it from the mobile app and desktop site and both are the same.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Yes, this is totally normal for Chase cards & somewhat annoying. The opposite happens when I pay my Citi credit card from my Chase checking account: the Citi card balance immediately goes to zero, but the transaction doesn't hit my Chase checking balance for a day or so.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
Yes, this is totally normal for Chase cards & somewhat annoying. The opposite happens when I pay my Citi credit card from my Chase checking account: the Citi card balance immediately goes to zero, but the transaction doesn't hit my Chase checking balance for a day or so.
Exactly the same here...
When I pay my Chase CC from my Chase checking - the CC balance isn't updated until the next day .
Old Dec 11, 2020, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by balwx
Exactly the same here...
When I pay my Chase CC from my Chase checking - the CC balance isn't updated until the next day .
I mean I guess it takes some time for Chase to make sure that Chase is good for the money!!!
mtofell likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

I mean I guess it takes some time for Chase to make sure that Chase is good for the money!!!
This is my thought exactly.... I totally understand when something takes a couple days when coming from an outside party but it's just them!
Old Dec 11, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA PRO, AS 100K
A related issue is Chase will not process a credit card payment made after 8:00 PM ET until the next day, even though it will post with the date chosen.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
In comparison, when I pay from my Citibank checking to my Citibank credit cards, the credit card account is paid instantly.

But if I pay from Citibank checking to my Chase credit cards, it is exactly as described in OP.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell
I transfer money all time between business and personal checking, personal checking to personal savings and it's instant.

For some reason the credit card payment just goes into the Bermuda Triangle for 2-3 days.

This just seems different than other "pending" items since it's all inside of Chase.
Chase's banking and credit card departments are "Affiliates", (not internal departments of a single business structure).

It's probably based on different states used as the home location of each affiliate, (almost certainly Delaware for the CC business).
mtofell likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Chris58
Chase's banking and credit card departments are "Affiliates", (not internal departments of a single business structure).

It's probably based on different states used as the home location of each affiliate, (almost certainly Delaware for the CC business).
This doesn't fully explain what is going on, as when I execute payment of my Citi credit card bill using direct billpay from my Chase checking account, the Citi credit card balance declines immediately in the amount of my payment, while the amount doesn't debit from my Chase checking account for a day or so. For whatever reason, Chase is unlike Citi in choosing not to instantly apply direct billpay payments to Chase credit card balances.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 1:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....Chase is unlike Citi in choosing not to instantly apply direct billpay payments to Chase credit card balances.
When you pull funds from a bank account to pay a bill there are two tests: 1) Are the funds available? 2) Are you authorized to draw on the funds? The first question is entirely automated, but the second question is not. Many issuers limit the number and amount of payments from newly registered bank accounts to protect against the possibility that you are making an unauthorized withdrawal. Chase may simply be applying the delay to all payments to provide some incremental security and for operational simplicity.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
When making payments from my Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU) checking account to NFCU credit cards, I experience the same process and timeline as described by the original poster (OP) with Chase.

Unlike the OP, this has never bothered me in the slightest. It also takes several days for checks to clear. Habitually recording all transactions, including online payments, in a checkbook register reduces the likelihood of inadvertent double payments or overdraft loans.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Unlike the OP, this has never bothered me in the slightest. It also takes several days for checks to clear. Habitually recording all transactions, including online payments, in a checkbook register reduces the likelihood of inadvertent double payments or overdraft loans.
Sounds like you're suggesting I get organized

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.