Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Bonus Bumps (matching improved offer) and Minimum Spend Deadlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2020, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.

I’ve been fortunate over the years to ask for and receive several bonus bumps from Chase yet the parameters for a bump are not transparent. In past years I was always told it could be done only within 3 months of account opening. In the past month I been given different information by different phone reps so I thought I would initiate a discussion here in an attempt to add understanding to this process.

A couple of months ago I applied for and was instantly approved for 2 Chase business cards. The minimum spend was met for both accounts within a few days of receiving the cards, before the first statements.

Three weeks later, after meeting minimum spend and before the first statement, I saw that the bonus and minimum spend for one of the cards had increased. I sent a secure message requesting a bonus bump and I called shortly after sending the message. The phone rep said yes, it could be done within 90 days of account opening and to call back once the increased spend had posted (not pending) to the account. The secure message reply was “… we're glad to inform that we can match the offer. Please reply to this email or call us after meeting the remainder $x,957 ($x,000.00 - $x,043.00) purchase spend requirement and we'll manually add xx,000 bonus points. The end date to meet the purchase spend requirement is (91 days after application date)”. I replied to the message a few days later, the bump appeared on my first statement under “Total miles transferred to ABC Airlines” and “Year-to-date miles earned on credit card” but without a line item for the bump.

In other words, the credit card statement specified:
+ Additional miles earned on ABC Airlines purchases 0
+ Additional miles earned at restaurants 0
+ Additional miles on travel 0
+ Miles earned on all purchases x,043 (x being minimum spend for new offer)
+ New Cardmember Bonus xx,000 (original bonus)
Total miles transferred to ABC Airlines xx,043 (original bonus plus bump)

The airline miles activity a few days after the credit card statement specified:
Chase Bus Card 1 Mile All Purchases x,043 miles (minimum spend)
Chase Bus Bonus Miles xx,000 miles (original bonus)
Chase Business 1st Purchace [sic] Bon xx,000 miles (bump)
(interesting typo on airline website list of activity)

7 weeks after the approvals, after 2 statements and meeting minimum spend on the first statement, I saw that the bonus and minimum spend for the other card had increased. I sent a secure message requesting a bonus bump and I called shortly after sending the message. The phone rep said yes, he called it an “enriched bonus”, I haven’t yet received a reply to the secure message. I asked and he said that it could be done with 5 months/billing cycles and it could be done in reverse (request bonus in effect BEFORE one’s application) and he gave me a date 112 days after account opening as the deadline to meet the higher minimum spend. I asked (perhaps inadvertently giving him an easy answer) if the 112 days which is more than the 3 months specified is to allow time for the card to arrive in the mail, he said yes. (FWIW, I’ve been approved for 4 new cards in the past few months, I did not request expedited delivery, each took 2 full weeks to arrive in the mail, a week longer than averages from the past.)

Bottom line/datapoints:
Chase will still match an “enriched offer” (bonus bump).
One phone agent said within 90 days, another said within 5 billing cycles.
One phone agent said minimum spend deadline is 91 days, another said 112 days.
StartinSanDiego likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Communications are finished regarding the minimum spend (MS) deadline for the second Chase business card bonus bump above. I had called and secure messaged (SM) on the same day requesting the bump, the phone rep said “yes” and told me a deadline 112 days from account approval/opening. The SM reply a day later said “yes” and gave me a date 91 days from account approval/opening.

Although I generally meet MS for any credit card by the first statement, 2 bumps each with significantly increased MS requirements at nearly the same time caused my spend planning to go down the tubes. I now need as much time as possible for the second card MS and I wanted a paper trail for the deadline. Sent a SM reply asking for review and clarification of the deadline, Chase’s reply stated “We are unable to assist you with your inquiry by email. Please contact Customer Service at the number listed on the back of your card, and request to speak with a supervisor, so we can discuss this issue further with you.”

I called that day and a very nice supervisor told me in essence that the deadline date is 91 days, Chase does allow a few more days, the previous phone rep should not have told me the few-extra-days date and Chase does not give out the few-extra-days date. Fascinating that about 12 hours after the call and about 18 hours after the time stamp on the reply I received a second reply to the same SM, stating “I would like to confirm that you can make the spend by x/xx/2021.” (112 days)

Bottom Line:

Chase will match new offers for bonus bumps.

Minimum spend deadline is based on original application/account approval date.

Minimum spend deadline is probably more than 3 months/91 days but Chase doesn’t like to tell the exact date.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 11:35 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Minimum spend deadline is based on original application/account approval date.
Did the amount of the minimum spend change when Chase matched the higher bonus?
Old Nov 25, 2020, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Did the amount of the minimum spend change when Chase matched the higher bonus?
Yes. As I wrote above “Although I generally meet MS (minimum spend) for any credit card by the first statement, 2 bumps each with significantly increased MS requirements at nearly the same time caused my spend planning to go down the tubes.” (MS here being “minimum spend”, not “manufactured spend”.)

I even did my best groveling, pulled out all the stops (40 year customer, health care worker, Afghanistan vet) and Chase will only bump if I meet the increased minimum spend.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 12:01 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
.... Chase will only bump if I meet the increased minimum spend.
Thank you for the confirmation. When Citi "matched" offers they would not increase the spend or the bonus. Instead, they made an adjustment for the difference. At present Citi has a No Match policy, but its an interesting (to me) difference in corporate policy.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Thank you for the confirmation. When Citi "matched" offers they would not increase the spend or the bonus. Instead, they made an adjustment for the difference. At present Citi has a No Match policy, but its an interesting (to me) difference in corporate policy.
You are very welcome. Agreed, corporate policy (and how it changes over time) is interesting. My first (of 8) Sapphire card was 10 years ago, 15,000 bonus, I closed the account in 2 months (anticipating a quick churn) after charging a dollar over the minimum. Then, a couple of years later I received a Sapphire Preferred 50,000 bump in addition to a 50,000 bonus with no increased minimum spend. Nowadays, the bump points or miles are relatively small with a large increase in minimum spend and I'd never close an account after 2 months.

(Unfortunately, some of us (like me for example) will bend over backwards to meet a minimum spend and never miss a bonus , especially with how much more challenging approvals are in the past few years. With my current situation of a 50% bump and a 150% minimum spend increase, veterans and certain Georgia US Senate run-off candidates (not saying which ) will benefit as I don’t MS (manufactured spend) anymore, my insurance company will not allow pre-payment and I often meet minimum spends with donations.)
Old Sep 27, 2023, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Geez, all of a sudden I feel like Robert Deniro in the film Taxi Driver .

Datapoint: (Probable) successful bonus bump 3.5 months after approval. This datapoint is posted with due consideration that Chase bonus bumps traditionally have been available only within 90 days/3 months. It never hurts to ask.

Chase Ink Business Cash, applied/instant approval 6/5/23, SUB 75K UR/$6,000 posted on 6/15 based on estimated federal tax payment, noted on first statement on 7/3/23.

On 9/20/23 became aware of 90K UR/$6,000 current SUB. Called customer service 9/21/23, agent said she would put the request in, secure message on 9/23/23 as below. Secure message (SM) reply next day that the request was being passed to the appropriate department. No other replies. Today noted 15K more UR in that card’s UR account, with notation “Adjustment 09/23(/23) 15,000 pts”.

I can't think of any other reason for the 15K UR, presumably a successful bonus bump (guess it could be because I’m such a great guy ).

(Note: some special characters, including “, are not allowable in Chase SMs. And yes, I play the retired Afghanistan veteran card whenever it might be helpful. My favorite was a year or 2 ago when my Hyatt MHC wrote back to me, in reply to my email containing a line similar to the line below, “well played veteran card”. Never mind that in this case "a few years" refers to 10 years .)

Re: account ending in 1234 Greetings. Please note that the above referenced account is very new, having been open for about 3 months. The welcome offer promotion under which I applied stated $750 Bonus Cash Back (75,000 Ultimate Rewards points) After you spend $6,000 on purchases in the first 3 months after account opening. As you can see, I met that threshold and the bonus points have been credited to my account. The identical card is now being offered with a promotion of $900 bonus cash back (90,000 Ultimate Rewards points) for the same spend threshold. Considering that this revised offer is within the first few months of my account opening, along with my very long and excellent history with Chase, including during my Navy Reserve mobilization at age 57 to Afghanistan a few years ago, I am hoping you can apply the $900 (90,000 point) promotion to my new Chase Ink Business Cash card account. Please note that 2 days ago I called Chase Business Card customer service regarding this same question.
Just now 9/27/23 seeing their reply, timed just a few hours after my secure message, (obviously) shoulda checked my SMs a few days ago.
Sent Sep 23, 2023 xx:xx PM
From Chase Card Services
Subject Re: Account inquiry
Hello Dr Jabadski,

I am happy to review your request to match the sign up bonus offer on your Ink Business Cash account.

Dr Jabadski, we added 15,000 bonus points to your account to match the new 90,000 offer as you have met the spend.

Your account will be credited with the bonus points on your October 2, 2023 billing statement.

We appreciate your business and thank you for being a Chase customer.

Thank you,
Abcdefg
Chase Email Servicing

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Sep 27, 2023 at 3:09 pm Reason: usual verbosity, forgot to check SMs
Old Sep 28, 2023, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I got Mrs. SPN Lifer a "bump" upgrade last October to whatever current sign up bonus (SUB) miles were being offered (10K or 15K difference) for the United Quest Visa, via an internal message within the Chase website, including a link to the newer offer.

I read about the technique on FlyerTalk. Chase is pretty good about this.

No cards played.
SpaethCo and Dr Jabadski like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
. No cards played.
Shoulda played some cards, mighta gotten her the future SUB, the extra-special super-duper double-secret-probationary SUB that’s only available to card players .

(Yes, entirely tongue in cheek, I've actually never heard of a "extra-special super-duper double-secret-probationary SUB".)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 10:28 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Switching to a Better Chase SUB

I just applied to and was approved for the 90K Ink Unlimited SUB. I just got the card today but saw that there’s a 120K in branch offer. Since I haven’t started spending towards the bonus, nor actually received the points, my reading of the terms is that I can apply for the 120K and then just cancel (essentially voiding) the 90K card and still get the bonus. However, the banker in the branch said that the mere act of being approved for the 90K card means I can’t get any Ink SUB for the next 2 years. Does that sound correct based on y’all’s experiences?
Old Dec 7, 2023, 7:46 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dparkinson
I just applied to and was approved for the 90K Ink Unlimited SUB. I just got the card today but saw that there’s a 120K in branch offer. Since I haven’t started spending towards the bonus, nor actually received the points, my reading of the terms is that I can apply for the 120K and then just cancel (essentially voiding) the 90K card and still get the bonus. However, the banker in the branch said that the mere act of being approved for the 90K card means I can’t get any Ink SUB for the next 2 years. Does that sound correct based on y’all’s experiences?
The language in the offer likely says you cannot get another bonus on the same card for 2 years. That language is generally not being enforced at this moment.

However, it is generally a bad idea to close a card right after being approved, especially if you're going to immediately apply for another card again. It may be a factor in Chase shutdowns. And even beyond that, Chase will generally re-open the existing card within a 30 day period anyway.

The prevailing advice here will likely be to earn the 90k bonus you have already signed up for. Not worth risky behavior with Chase. If you have an advertisement for the 120k offer, you can try asking Chase to match that offer instead, by secure message.

Another "safe" path would be to meet the spend on the existing card and get another card from the Ink family in 90 days. Meet that spend for a second bonus.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

(Different thread, 1/26/24) Current public offer: 100,000 miles for $5K spend. I got 75,000 miles for the same spend 2.5 months ago, hoping the bonus bump request goes quickly and easily .
My first time declined (expected) Bonus Bump after one phone call and multiple secure messages. Maybe it was declined because it wouldn’t have required any additional spend on the card?
Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to assist with the New Account Bonus Offer for United(SM) Business Card.

My name is Name and it's my pleasure to review your request.

Name, sign-up offers are promotional. As a result, they may change or cancel. Multiple sign-up offers may be marketed for the same product in overlapping timeframes, via different communication channels. Some sign-up offers may be marketed to targeted groups of customer, versus the general public. Accounts automatically received the sign-up offer applied for. We do not guarantee any sign-up offer can be changed. Each sign-up offer will be subject to eligibility requirements.

The requested sign-up offer is not available for matching. Meaning, it cannot be manually applied to any account. The offer is available through direct application only.

I'm sorry our efforts to assist you did not result in the outcome you had expected. We ask that you trust that this decision is the same for all customers. We feel adhering to the policy for all customers is the best way to remain fair and consistent.

We appreciate your business and thank you for being a Chase customer. Please contact us anytime with questions or concerns.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 7:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Applied United Business card back in Nov with 75k SUB miles. I received the bonus in Dec, but I just noticed that I got another 25k miles as “Chase Credit Card Adjustments” a couple of days ago. I know Chase is offering 100K SUB now, but it’s interesting that Chase does something like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lAzyTraveler
(2/14/24, “Applying for Chase BUSINESS Cards (2023)” thread) Applied United Business card back in Nov with 75k SUB miles. ….
Yup, me too.

Originally Posted by lAzyTraveler
… got another 25k miles as “Chase Credit Card Adjustments” a couple of days ago. ….
Outstanding - but nope, not me. Your post 1 day after my being declined for the 3rd or 4th time over the past 3 weeks was discouraging (for me). (I hope Chase didn’t mistakenly give you my Bonus Bump .)

Did you request it? If so, by phone or secure message or another way? Are you best friends with Jamie Dimon (Chase CEO) ?

I Never Promised You A Bonus Bump Rose Garden

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Feb 15, 2024 at 11:15 am Reason: link added
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Yup, me too.

Outstanding - but nope, not me. Your post 1 day after my being declined for the 3rd or 4th time over the past 3 weeks was discouraging (for me). (I hope Chase didn’t mistakenly give you my Bonus Bump .)

Did you request it? If so, by phone or secure message or another way? Are you best friends with Jamie Dimon (Chase CEO) ?
Nope. I didn't even know Chase offers something like this. I checked my UA account and saw the number. No call or message, no request or complain. I guess I was lucky?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.