Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Gateway card with no AF

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2020, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

United Gateway card with no AF

Expanded award availability listed as a benefit of the Gateway card!
Hat tip to J.J. @ DoC, at this link scroll and click "View full credit card benefits"
https://www2.theexplorercard.com/consumer-cards/gateway
SPN Lifer and StartinSanDiego like this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by garkman
Expanded award availability listed as a benefit of the Gateway card!
Hat tip to J.J. @ DoC, at this link scroll and click "View full credit card benefits"
https://www2.theexplorercard.com/consumer-cards/gateway
Sounds like a solid option to downgrade when the AF comes due. I think that’s what I’ll end up doing.
nall likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Wonder if it is available as a product change option for the No AF MileagePlus Visa that I recently received as a downgrade from my ancient Select Visa. The Gateway card seems somewhat better,
Old Oct 2, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Wonder if it is available as a product change option for the No AF MileagePlus Visa that I recently received as a downgrade from my ancient Select Visa. The Gateway card seems somewhat better,
Yes, it is. There is already a thread on this in the United Airlines forum:

Chase United TravelBank Card becoming non-cashback Chase MP Gateway Card 21 Sept 2020
notquiteaff likes this.

Last edited by Magic Pickles; Oct 2, 2020 at 6:53 am
Old Oct 2, 2020, 7:13 am

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
You can product change the NF Visa to the Gateway. I just did it. I downgraded my Select Visa to the NF Visa recently and just converted the NF card to the Gateway. It's already showing up on Chase.com
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:43 pm

Question Do I cancel my United Gateway card to get another United card?

Hi Seniors, I downgraded my United Explorer card in 2020 to United Gateway. Now I m thinking of traveling so want to upgrade but also get bonus points. I called customer service and they told me I would need to cancel my United Gateway card to apply for another United card and get bonus points. If I cancel my United credit card, my credit limit will go down. Is cancellation really needed to get another United card with bonus?

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 23, 2021 at 8:07 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 23, 2021, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
I know you can have a United personal and business card simultaneously, but I'm not sure about having two personal cards.

Do you have any other personal Chase cards? You could transfer the credit limit from your Gateway to another card, retaining the available credit, before applying for the Explorer.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, 1.4MM
Originally Posted by quikj
I know you can have a United personal and business card simultaneously, but I'm not sure about having two personal cards.

Do you have any other personal Chase cards? You could transfer the credit limit from your Gateway to another card, retaining the available credit, before applying for the Explorer.
Just apply online for a new card. As long as your credit is good there should be no problem. The only limit is whether you have received a point bonus in the last two years on the Explorer card. Keep the Gateway card because of no annual fee.
I have four chase cards currently. You might also check the Chase Sapphire Preferred card.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by quikj

I have Chase Freedom credit card. Can they put the credit limit of United Gateway to that?

Originally Posted by SouthPoleFlyer
Just apply online for a new card. As long as your credit is good there should be no problem. The only limit is whether you have received a point bonus in the last two years on the Explorer card. Keep the Gateway card because of no annual fee.
I have four chase cards currently. You might also check the Chase Sapphire Preferred card.
I had the United Explorer back in 2018 and got the miles at that time. I downgraded it in 2020 as I wasn't flying, now want to upgrade but also want to get bonus points. So you think we can have two United credit cards and get the promo miles?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 24, 2021 at 8:37 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Dec 24, 2021, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
No problem having two United cards, as long as your credit supports the new one with the old.

i have the Gateway and the Select, as does my wife. Got bonuses for each when we got them (a long time apart - the gateways were actually the TravelBank cards that got converted).
SPN Lifer and jamesbondc like this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Can anyone reconfirm expanded award availability with gateway card? I actually am seeing conflicting commentary on the internet. Just want to downgrade and not lose this perk.
jimdarcy likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
This is an important issue that could use an updated data point (DP).

In the United Airlines forum thread linked to above in Post # 4, back in June 2021 there was a copy of documentation (see Post # 94) that suggested no expanded award availability or reduced award levels for Gateway Card holders.

Yet in the very next Post # 95, a commenter thought he or she still had it. See also Post # 99.

Reliable current information would be greatly appreciated.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:47 pm

Worth paying taxes with United Gateway?

Hi guys, is it worth paying taxes around 2k with my United Gateway credit card? I believe processing fee will be close to 2%. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jamesbondc
Hi guys, is it worth paying taxes around 2k with my United Gateway credit card? I believe processing fee will be close to 2%. Thanks in advance.
how much value do you assign a United mile? You will get 1 per dollar.

pay1040 will charge you 1.87% in fees. If you get more than 1.87 cents for each mile at redemption you win… but with $2k the gain is probably minimal. Let’s say you get 2.5 cents in value. Then you get $2000 * (2.5-1.87) =$12.60
Old Mar 1, 2022, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm not one of the foremost CC experts in here for sure, but IMO, instances are rare when it is worth paying taxes on a CC for rewards, since the fees almost always outweigh the value of the rewards, and there are few (if any) cards that will bonus this kind of spend. Where it might make sense, IMO, is if you need that spend to hit a SUB amount where you might not otherwise....potentially to hit it faster I suppose if you have something in mind for the bonus already. Potentially for other bonuses that you wouldn't hit otherwise too (ie, some of the COVID-era bonuses where if you spend $X by Y date, get X-thousand bonus miles). But the cases where it's worth it, for most, are very occasional and not the norm.
guv1976 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.