Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Travel REFUND questions and experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase has an online form to use for cancellations. Login to your Chase account and click the link below:

https://travel.chase.com/customersupport/travel-alert-refunds

More info here (need to be logged in first):

https://travel.chase.com/service/#/articles/932/61/25635

Direct Cancellation line: 1(888)511-5326
Print Wikipost

Chase Travel REFUND questions and experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2020, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by ddavid1101
What if one leg (international Departure) was cancelled out of an RT ticket?
used UR for DFW to LIS (ticket on UR has both Delta and Air France confirmation codes)
strangely Delta still shows outbound DFW to CDG still confirmed but Air France who are the ones who emailed me shows cancelled

Can I cancel the whole RT and get full refund back if one International Leg is cancelled?
Yes, if one of your legs is cancelled, you can get a refund on the whole round trip
Old May 10, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Duke5150
HERE is the AA refund check and request page: https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

SO
, I looked up each of my tickets for the cancelled AA flight to OGG and they all said "eligible for refund".
I have two choices (your advice please):
1. Continue on the AA site and actually Request a Refund and it asks for my information name and address.
2. Wait for CHASE TRAVEL to request and process my refund and return the ultimate rewards points to my account.

The Chase Travel web site does show the flights were cancelled and to allow time for them to process it.

YOUR ADVICE PLEASE?

I hope this page helps.
I used the above website just to check my tickets for July. It says they need to be canceled first.

My question is. Since I bought them through chase ultimate rewards and the flight isn’t canceled. I won’t be eligible for a refund. But what if I want to cancel and get travel funds towards a future trip. Do I go through chase or AA?

And is the travel fund good for different destinations or do they must be same origination and destination?

Due to the status of your itinerary we are unable to complete your refund request. Your itinerary needs to be cancelled prior to requesting a refund. Please click here to cancel your reservation and return here to submit your request. You may also contact AA Reservations at 1-800-433-7300 or your Travel Agency to cancel.

Our records indicate that your request is not eligible for a refund. Click "Cancel" below to return to the Refunds home page.
Old May 10, 2020, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RedElmo
I used the above website just to check my tickets for July. It says they need to be canceled first.

My question is. Since I bought them through chase ultimate rewards and the flight isn’t canceled. I won’t be eligible for a refund. But what if I want to cancel and get travel funds towards a future trip. Do I go through chase or AA?

And is the travel fund good for different destinations or do they must be same origination and destination?

Due to the status of your itinerary we are unable to complete your refund request. Your itinerary needs to be cancelled prior to requesting a refund. Please click here to cancel your reservation and return here to submit your request. You may also contact AA Reservations at 1-800-433-7300 or your Travel Agency to cancel.

Our records indicate that your request is not eligible for a refund. Click "Cancel" below to return to the Refunds home page.

You can try calling AA, but all the tkts I got via Chase the Carrier told me since its an agent issued tkt I Must go to them. That said if you CX it before Chase gets the Official word from the carrier then you will have to pay whatever fees apply. I have that with 1 of my tkts the Carrier has removed the flioght from its side but when I "Manage my trip" it still shows 'Tkted" I take it this way the carrier can deal with the CXs in a more smooth way by CXing the flights week by week, but the carrier did tell me that the flights I booked wont be flying and the carrier told that to Chase as well but till the carrier Officially CXs it all I can do is wait

That said some folks have had luck where the csr of the carrier for whatever reason did Refund the tkts and then Chase did refund the pts used, remember its Chases CC taht was used to pay for the tkt/s
Old May 11, 2020, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TEDisgone
I have to say it's been a frustrating experience dealing with Chase Travel for cancelled flights.

After trying 3 times to get a refund on my cancelled BA flights, I finally got my trip truly cancelled on the 4th try (confirmation email received while on the line - never got one from the other times) and at least the UR points are back in my account. For the credit to my card, I was told to expect it in about a month. Unfortunately I also have a Swiss booking and they are not responding to emails from Chase (while I had this effective agent on the line I asked him to look up my file on that one and he read back all the notes where it said "no response received from Swiss") or anybody, really. So I will wait.
Swiss, or rather, LH Groups are NOT refunding anyone except to HON members (their top elite members). The related Swiss thread would have more relevant info and I believe you have participated in that thread weeks ago.
As of now, Swiss is not responding to any email request sent by OTAs based on various DPs on internet. I did another chat with a Philippines based rep this afternoon with the newest info from Swiss thread (as to which IATA system to queue refund request). This chat rep processed yet another refund request which I dont have much confidence it would actually work, as she claimed it would be ticketing dept handled the refund request, not she while the previous rep went into GDS herself to process it but the function was disabled by LH groups so the system would not let her put thru the refund. She wound up calling Swiss and then was told to send that stupid email which of course would just get lost in cyber black hole, exactly the intent designed by Swiss.
Today's chat rep did something differently. She did say the system (whatever system it was) showed our tickets were eligible for refund (canceled by Swiss segment by segment, totally nut case).
Old May 12, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by scottinaz
I think this is similar to my case. I requested a refund from AA for flights cancelled by AA which I had purchased with points and $s on my Chase Sapphire card. On April 21 I got an email from AA indicating my refund was complete. On April 29 I got an email from Chase Travel indicating my flights had been cancelled and indicating the points and $s to be refunded. I received the points back the next day but as of today I have not received the credit on my card for the $s. I have send messages to Chase asking when I will receive my refund but the only response I get is "Thank you for your inquiry. Let us know if we can be of assistance". It appears from the above message I should expect my refund to show up about May 13, does that seem right?
That sounds about right. My father-in-law had a similar situation and had that same experience as far as refund time. Please report back once you get it...I'm curious to see if there's a level of consistency with these or not.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
It seems they are slowing down rather than speeding up. I was told today that refund posting times are now "30 days or more" (love the ambiguity of "or more"). Received points back promptly, but still waiting for CC refund for cancellation made April 6th.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
I....refund posting times are now "30 days or more" (love the ambiguity of "or more"). .....
The travel agency cannot control when the airline or hotel refunds the transaction, and many are not issuing refunds because they have few new bookings to provide the cash.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:39 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by mia
The travel agency cannot control when the airline or hotel refunds the transaction, and many are not issuing refunds because they have few new bookings to provide the cash.
Nope, American refunded in 7 days and it has been sitting with the travel agency since. "Not issuing refunds because they have few new bookings to provide the cash" is akin to theft.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
"Not issuing refunds because they have few new bookings to provide the cash" is akin to theft.
No, it's the prelude to bankruptcy, which is not illegal.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by mia
Wrong. Credit card refunds are required to be processed in 7 days per the DOT. This explicitly applies to travel agents also: https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ection/refunds

Now, my ability as a consumer to recover $$ from them doing something against the rules is certainly limited. But that doesn't make what they are doing right nor legal.

Originally Posted by DOT
How quickly is an airline, travel agent, or online travel agency required to process a refund?
  • If a passenger is owed a refund, an airline, travel agent, or online travel agency must process it within seven business days if the passenger paid by credit card, and 20 business days if the passenger paid by cash or check.
Happy likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rdh0924
That sounds about right. My father-in-law had a similar situation and had that same experience as far as refund time. Please report back once you get it...I'm curious to see if there's a level of consistency with these or not.
As of today I have not received my $ back from Chase nor have they replied to my messages. I believe since Chase is a national bank the correct authority is to send a complaint to the Office of Comptroller of Currency so I plan to do that. Normally I would have some sympathy for a company in a situation like this but not even responding to my question or being able to tell me when I will receive my refund is inexcusable. Chase is not a small company with limited resources, they should be able to answer a simple question about a refund within a month.
Happy likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope, American refunded in 7 days and it has been sitting with the travel agency since. "Not issuing refunds because they have few new bookings to provide the cash" is akin to theft.
Originally Posted by mia
Note the poster said AA has refunded. The money is no longer with AA so your "the prelude to bankruptcy," does not even apply. Bankruptcy is not illegal but NOT refunding the canceled flights which touch US Soil IS ILLEGAL.
Chances are the money is stuck at the processor(s) used by AA and by Chase - both parties are not connected directly but thru the credit card payment processing companies, I am sure you have known this intricacy. There are actually diagrams online to explain the whole process...

The chance for a credit card payment processor to go bankrupt is very slim. But that does not mean they are adding staff to process the huge number of refunds hitting the systems, not to mention there is also another factor at play - that some processors may demand the distressed travel providers to cough up more collateral as claimed by NCL the cruise line, in its latest 8K filing...
Old May 13, 2020, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wrong. Credit card refunds are required to be processed in 7 days per the DOT. This explicitly applies to travel agents also: https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ection/refunds

Now, my ability as a consumer to recover $$ from them doing something against the rules is certainly limited. But that doesn't make what they are doing right nor legal.
You can still do something.

If AA has not refunded, you can file DOT complaint.
But you said AA refunded it was Expedia/Chase UR dragging the refund to hit your card - you can file CFPB complaint against Chase which in turn would set Expedia straight.
Old May 13, 2020, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottinaz
As of today I have not received my $ back from Chase nor have they replied to my messages. I believe since Chase is a national bank the correct authority is to send a complaint to the Office of Comptroller of Currency so I plan to do that. Normally I would have some sympathy for a company in a situation like this but not even responding to my question or being able to tell me when I will receive my refund is inexcusable. Chase is not a small company with limited resources, they should be able to answer a simple question about a refund within a month.
Also file a complaint with CFPB.

Totally agree that Chase with its resources, should not behave like this, taking advantage of the situation.
Old May 13, 2020, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You can still do something.

If AA has not refunded, you can file DOT complaint.
But you said AA refunded it was Expedia/Chase UR dragging the refund to hit your card - you can file CFPB complaint against Chase which in turn would set Expedia straight.
Thanks. Yes, AA refunded to Chase/Expedia. Chase/Expedia gave me the UR points back quickly but are dragging heels on credit card piece.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.