Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Travel REFUND questions and experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase has an online form to use for cancellations. Login to your Chase account and click the link below:

https://travel.chase.com/customersupport/travel-alert-refunds

More info here (need to be logged in first):

https://travel.chase.com/service/#/articles/932/61/25635

Direct Cancellation line: 1(888)511-5326
Print Wikipost

Chase Travel REFUND questions and experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
When you get a refund of UR for a cancelled (and refunded) flight, is there any way to verify it in the ledger of activity on the Chase UR portal?

A week ago, I cancelled a ticket that I booked with UR back in November. I got the cancellation email stating I would get X UR points back in my account. But I don't see any activity noted. And since my UR account is quite large, I don't know exactly how many points I had before (meaning they could have added the 2500 I'm expecting to get back, and I wouldn't know.) I did take a screen shot that day for my records. Also, since the ticket was booked in November, I can't even scroll back to see where the UR were deducted. (I assume they show something in the ledger.)

Then a few days ago I cancelled a ticket that I booked with UR back in December. AA cancelled it, processed the refund, and I got an email from Chase. Again, nothing in the ledger. But because I took a screenshot a week ago, I can see that 7700 points went back into my account, exactly as I expected. So I took another screen shot for my records.

My question, is there anyway I can verify the redeposit of the first ticket? (i.e. before I realized I should take screenshots of my balance?)

Update: I was able to verify the refund by comparing the UR listed on my previous CSR statement to my current balance. This confirmed the proper refund amount. I do wish they would show it in the ledger.

Last edited by hobo13; Apr 30, 2020 at 2:49 pm Reason: solved my own problem
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hobo13
When you get a refund of UR for a cancelled (and refunded) flight, is there any way to verify it in the ledger of activity on the Chase UR portal?

A week ago, I cancelled a ticket that I booked with UR back in November. I got the cancellation email stating I would get X UR points back in my account. But I don't see any activity noted. And since my UR account is quite large, I don't know exactly how many points I had before (meaning they could have added the 2500 I'm expecting to get back, and I wouldn't know.) I did take a screen shot that day for my records. Also, since the ticket was booked in November, I can't even scroll back to see where the UR were deducted. (I assume they show something in the ledger.)

Then a few days ago I cancelled a ticket that I booked with UR back in December. AA cancelled it, processed the refund, and I got an email from Chase. Again, nothing in the ledger. But because I took a screenshot a week ago, I can see that 7700 points went back into my account, exactly as I expected. So I took another screen shot for my records.

My question, is there anyway I can verify the redeposit of the first ticket? (i.e. before I realized I should take screenshots of my balance?)

Update: I was able to verify the refund by comparing the UR listed on my previous CSR statement to my current balance. This confirmed the proper refund amount. I do wish they would show it in the ledger.
No you dont get a ledger activity per se. However your original redemption of the trip becomes ZERO pts deducted. That is the ONLY "ledger activity" that happens. Therefore your balance goes up with the same amount, as you have discovered.

Regardless you should ALWAYS take a screen shot before any activity because you never know if there might be any system glitch or delay in posting - which happens randomly all the time with most programs. The only way to know if a refund is posted is for you, the customer, to know what is "Before" to compare the:"After".
iahphx likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wingnuthead
Yeah, saw that. Its funny how the US is being more aggressive with this issue and pushing refunding consumer money than the EU is. Its usually exactly the opposite.

Supposedly, Norwegian is doing their last pitch to investors at a company meeting next week to try and keep the company alive. if that works, and the entity remains in existence, but all flights are cancelled, then possibly, maybe, Chase will come through.
You are not claiming trip insurance whether Norwegian stays afloat or not. If Norwegian does not refund you will dispute the card charges because the merchant fails to deliver the service. This in essence is no different than you bought something online, and the merchant never ships you the merchandise.

Your flight involves a US airport therefore DOT's regulations still apply. Norwegian could be fined big money by DOT or being forbidden to fly to/from US airport. So you are in a much better position than those of us whose flights are intra-EU flights which apparently EU will bend its EU261 rule on the Pandemic.
Old May 1, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
Originally Posted by Happy
You are not claiming trip insurance whether Norwegian stays afloat or not. If Norwegian does not refund you will dispute the card charges because the merchant fails to deliver the service. This in essence is no different than you bought something online, and the merchant never ships you the merchandise.

Your flight involves a US airport therefore DOT's regulations still apply. Norwegian could be fined big money by DOT or being forbidden to fly to/from US airport. So you are in a much better position than those of us whose flights are intra-EU flights which apparently EU will bend its EU261 rule on the Pandemic.
Ohhhhhh!!! I missed that particular subtlety, THANKS!! I've been wrestling in my head over all the fine points here. There are so many conflicting forces at play due to the macro environment and covid, that its hard to know which path to go down.

Norwegian to their credit, is actually trying to refund flights they have cancelled. But if in fact they go into administration next week, which is 50/50, then how their outstanding ticketholders will be handled will play out.

In our case, our itinerary starts June 3 from JFK. And at this moment, no one knows if lockdowns will continue, travel embargos will continue, if airlines will restart, if hotels will reopen, etc. Should be interesting....
Old May 4, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by rdh0924
I received a refund on April 16. Similar deal: points back immediately, but haven't seen the remaining few hundred dollars. In my cancellation confirmation email, it specifically says to allow up to 7 days, and then that it may take up to two billing cycles for the statement credit to appear. Kind of ridiculous that it could potentially take that long, but that's a whole different discussion.
DP: Finally got my credit back on May 2 for the cash paid. So about two weeks in total for the refund.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:27 am

I have flights booked through Ultimate Rewards, originally for a few days from now, that have been canceled by the airline (Aer Lingus SFO-DUB). Pretty straightforward refund per DOT rules, I would think.

I tried the Chase refund form about a month ago...never got a response.

I tried the Chase Travel/Expedia chat about two weeks ago, and was told they could only offer an Aer Lingus credit. But, that I should contact Aer Lingus via their online refund form to request a refund. It has been over 7 business days since I submitted that form and I have received no response.

Contacted Chase Travel/Expedia again today via chat and was told the same thing (no refund, only credit). I used Twitter to ask Aer Lingus for status on my refund request and was told, understandably, that they wouldn't be able to deal with a refund since this was a third party booking. Note that Aer Lingus has never denied a refund is due and even said in the flight cancelation email they sent that, if I had booked direct with Aer Lingus, that I could be refunded.

So now I guess I'm back to Chase. I'm getting really frustrated that it seems to be a straightforward refund yet Chase/Expedia is being no help at all. Any ideas for a more effective way to get Chase/Expedia to issue a refund?
Old May 5, 2020, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777boy
I have flights booked through Ultimate Rewards, originally for a few days from now, that have been canceled by the airline (Aer Lingus SFO-DUB). Pretty straightforward refund per DOT rules, I would think.

I tried the Chase refund form about a month ago...never got a response.

I tried the Chase Travel/Expedia chat about two weeks ago, and was told they could only offer an Aer Lingus credit. But, that I should contact Aer Lingus via their online refund form to request a refund. It has been over 7 business days since I submitted that form and I have received no response.

Contacted Chase Travel/Expedia again today via chat and was told the same thing (no refund, only credit). I used Twitter to ask Aer Lingus for status on my refund request and was told, understandably, that they wouldn't be able to deal with a refund since this was a third party booking. Note that Aer Lingus has never denied a refund is due and even said in the flight cancelation email they sent that, if I had booked direct with Aer Lingus, that I could be refunded.

So now I guess I'm back to Chase. I'm getting really frustrated that it seems to be a straightforward refund yet Chase/Expedia is being no help at all. Any ideas for a more effective way to get Chase/Expedia to issue a refund?
Looking above at the tortured process I went through might provide some guidance. I would use the phone, seeing first if you can get Aer Lingus to authorize a refund (dernand it from a supervisor). Then call Chase/Expedia to process it.
Old May 6, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
Looking above at the tortured process I went through might provide some guidance. I would use the phone, seeing first if you can get Aer Lingus to authorize a refund (dernand it from a supervisor). Then call Chase/Expedia to process it.
This. ^^

I booked a RT flight on Copa Airline using Chase UR points. The flights were canceled by Copa. Spent several hours on the phone with Copa and Chase. Chase told me to talk to Copa, Copa told me to talk to Chase. I had also tried filling out the online refund forms from Copa and Chase respectively, and chatted with Chase using virtual chat. Didn't get anywhere.

I finally opened a DOT complaint and tweeted Copa. Copa then swiftly refunded to Chase/Expedia. A day or so later, Chase/Expedia sent me an email saying the UR points are back in my account.

If your airline canceled your flights, get them to refund to the original form of payment. Chase should then automatically refund you the UR points. This worked for me, I hope it will work for you too.

Good luck all.
Old May 6, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happychic
This. ^^

I booked a RT flight on Copa Airline using Chase UR points. The flights were canceled by Copa. Spent several hours on the phone with Copa and Chase. Chase told me to talk to Copa, Copa told me to talk to Chase. I had also tried filling out the online refund forms from Copa and Chase respectively, and chatted with Chase using virtual chat. Didn't get anywhere.

I finally opened a DOT complaint and tweeted Copa. Copa then swiftly refunded to Chase/Expedia. A day or so later, Chase/Expedia sent me an email saying the UR points are back in my account.

If your airline canceled your flights, get them to refund to the original form of payment. Chase should then automatically refund you the UR points. This worked for me, I hope it will work for you too.

Good luck all.
I assume your flights touched US soil? Else I dont think DOT would be able to help. This is important for people to remember - if your flights touched US soil, then by all means, initiate DOT complaint as DOT has made its position clear - Pandemic or not, DOT WILL enforce the regulations.

Right now, international flights that do not touch US soil, basically the passengers are totally screwed as the governments where the airlines are located, all back the airlines to violate government regulations. So passengers are forced to become involuntary lenders of money to the airlines, and most likely will never see the money repaid.
Old May 6, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
I assume your flights touched US soil?
They would have, had Copa flown them.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rdh0924
DP: Finally got my credit back on May 2 for the cash paid. So about two weeks in total for the refund.
I think this is similar to my case. I requested a refund from AA for flights cancelled by AA which I had purchased with points and $s on my Chase Sapphire card. On April 21 I got an email from AA indicating my refund was complete. On April 29 I got an email from Chase Travel indicating my flights had been cancelled and indicating the points and $s to be refunded. I received the points back the next day but as of today I have not received the credit on my card for the $s. I have send messages to Chase asking when I will receive my refund but the only response I get is "Thank you for your inquiry. Let us know if we can be of assistance". It appears from the above message I should expect my refund to show up about May 13, does that seem right?
Old May 7, 2020, 3:40 pm

What if one leg (international Departure) was cancelled out of an RT ticket?
used UR for DFW to LIS (ticket on UR has both Delta and Air France confirmation codes)
strangely Delta still shows outbound DFW to CDG still confirmed but Air France who are the ones who emailed me shows cancelled

Can I cancel the whole RT and get full refund back if one International Leg is cancelled?
Old May 7, 2020, 3:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ddavid1101
....Delta and Air France confirmation codes
Is there more than one ticket number, and which airline issued? DL issued tickets start with 006. AF issued tickets start with 057.
Old May 7, 2020, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Is there more than one ticket number, and which airline issued? DL issued tickets start with 006. AF issued tickets start with 057.

Looks like Delta 006.
Old May 8, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I have to say it's been a frustrating experience dealing with Chase Travel for cancelled flights.

After trying 3 times to get a refund on my cancelled BA flights, I finally got my trip truly cancelled on the 4th try (confirmation email received while on the line - never got one from the other times) and at least the UR points are back in my account. For the credit to my card, I was told to expect it in about a month. Unfortunately I also have a Swiss booking and they are not responding to emails from Chase (while I had this effective agent on the line I asked him to look up my file on that one and he read back all the notes where it said "no response received from Swiss") or anybody, really. So I will wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.