Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Travel REFUND questions and experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase has an online form to use for cancellations. Login to your Chase account and click the link below:

https://travel.chase.com/customersupport/travel-alert-refunds

More info here (need to be logged in first):

https://travel.chase.com/service/#/articles/932/61/25635

Direct Cancellation line: 1(888)511-5326
Print Wikipost

Chase Travel REFUND questions and experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by Vig89
May I ask how you guys are getting through to Chase support?
Originally Posted by rdh0924
DP: For anyone trying to connect with Chase Travel, but more than 72 hours from travel...I had success today using the chat function through the Chase portal. You need to go to "My Trips" and then at the bottom right there is a live chat feature. It allowed me to connect with a customer service rep, who was able to cancel a reservation of mine that was only letting me receive a partial refund if I did it myself. (Hotel issued a waiver, but it wasn't tracking in the portal.) Anyway, just thought I'd pass this tip along. I only waited about 10-15 minutes.
mia likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
So I used my Chase points to book coach tickets to MAD on DL for late March. DL eventually cancelled the flights and I called Chase Travel (Expedia) who said the points would flow back to my Chase Rewards account once DL refunded the tickets to the Chase/Expedia credit card. Nothing happened for weeks, so I called DL last week to see what was going on. They said they had issued me a voucher for the tickets. I said I did not want a voucher -- I wanted a refund. The agent said she couldn't give me a refund. I said this was against DOT regulations, and asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor immediately issued the refund to the Chase credit card.

Will this break the logjam, or do I now need to call Chase/Expedia to actually get the points back in my account? And, if I call, will Chase/Expedia actually take the call for a matter concerning a past reservation? Obviously, I'd prefer to do nothing and have everything flow automatically in a reasonably timely manner, but I'm a bit skeptical that "automatic" will actually work.
Obviously if you want your points back you need to contact Chase UR to follow thru. It will not be automatically done. The only automatic refund I have seen UR would process would be to cancel a fully refundable lodging booking. Never see anybody reports an automatic refund on canceled flight, even at the ordinary time, let alone now.

I hope you have received a confirmation email from DL on the refund. Else the Chase rep would need to contact DL to verify the refund, assuming the refund is actually issued and in the record of the canceled reservation.

Use the Chat function on My Trip screen as described upthread. Much better than calling. You do need the old itinerary ID which you can either find it in the prev confirmation email sent by Chase, or history the History tab on My Trip screen.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to everyone who has given me tips for how to get my points back. The process sure is a PITA, and involves effort and luck. I didn't have much luck on the chat function. When I finally reached a couple of chat agents, their responses were very slow and, in the end, it turned out that they were completely clueless. I had more success on the phone, but it involved several phone calls, a lot of phone trees, a few disconnects, and lots more clueless agents. Finally, I reached a supervisor who seemed to know what to do. But he accidentally disconnected me and didn't call back. Today, I tried again, got a supervisor who read the previous supervisor's note and quickly credited the points back to my account. Within an hour, I got an email confirmation of this and the points are back in my UR account. I asked this supervisor for the best phone number to call if I had any more problems. He said 1-877-635-7881. Previously, I used 877-903-5602. If you ever wind up in a phone tree that won't get you to a human, pick the option to make a new cruise booking (they're not too busy these days!) and ask to be transferred. I would also ask to speak to a supervisor. Good luck, and leave yourself plenty of time. You'll likely need it!
Old Apr 22, 2020, 9:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... pick the option to make a new cruise booking ...
My understanding is that while Chase Travel is outsourced to Expedia, cruise bookings are still outsourced to Connexions. They may still be able to transfer calls, but they are a separate company.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
My understanding is that while Chase Travel is outsourced to Expedia, cruise bookings are still outsourced to Connexions. They may still be able to transfer calls, but they are a separate company.
Hmmm. Interesting. I twice got them to transfer the call, so it works somehow.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
On April 17 Chase travel agreed to refund a ticket that I had booked with a combination of points and money. My points were redeposited right away but there's no sign of the money. Their FAQ section says to allow up to 7 days. Impossible to get through to anyone on the phone. Advice?

Last edited by Chevelter; Apr 24, 2020 at 8:07 am
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by Chevelter
On April 17 Chase travel agreed to refund a ticket that I had booked with a combination of points and money. My points were redeposited right away but there's no sign of the money. Their FAQ section says to allow up to 7 days. Impossible to get through to anyone on the phone. Advice?
I received a refund on April 16. Similar deal: points back immediately, but haven't seen the remaining few hundred dollars. In my cancellation confirmation email, it specifically says to allow up to 7 days, and then that it may take up to two billing cycles for the statement credit to appear. Kind of ridiculous that it could potentially take that long, but that's a whole different discussion.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Correct about cruises are booked by Connexions. BUT, you still go thru Expedia first before you talk to the Connexions side - even though the telephone number is different, which is only a disguise! The first agent who took the call from the cruise booking number is NOT Connexions, but Expedia's agent. Each and every single time when I called the Cruise booking, the first agent after verified card info, would transfer me to the Connexions side. NOT the opposite.

From my compilation, there are at least 4 or 5 UR toll free numbers out there. They all seem to be inter-transferrable.

Hmmm. Interesting. I twice got them to transfer the call, so it works somehow.
You get Expedia, which is the gate keeper before you can get to Connexions. I have enough occasions on the cruise booking procedures. They just are not on the main routing of the regular number listed for booking flights and hotels. But this is a good tip to know that you get to Expedia much quicker than the "dedicated" Expedia side's number.
mia likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 25, 2020 at 5:13 pm
Old Apr 27, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
OK, here's a complicated one. No idea how it will play out.

Have roundtrip JFK-LGW for 8 pax on Norwegian in early June. Booked directly with Norwegian with Chase Sapphire Reserve. Flights aren't cancelled yet. Norwegian will likely not be completely bankrupt, but some of their operating units have already declared bankruptcy. They've announced today that they will likely suspend transatlantic flights through next year, even though they will continue to operate in Norway (in theory at least).

Chase stopped doing refunds based on carrier insolvency, but Norwegian will likely not be, even though parts will be, so Norwegian as a company will still exist.

I literally have no idea how it will play out. It would be great if Norwegian would cancel the flights instead of me waiting, but I think they've been waiting it out to see if they could return to the air.

I haven't bothered to try either the airline or Chase. I think I have to wait it out
Old Apr 27, 2020, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wingnuthead
OK, here's a complicated one. No idea how it will play out.

Have roundtrip JFK-LGW for 8 pax on Norwegian in early June. Booked directly with Norwegian with Chase Sapphire Reserve. Flights aren't cancelled yet. Norwegian will likely not be completely bankrupt, but some of their operating units have already declared bankruptcy. They've announced today that they will likely suspend transatlantic flights through next year, even though they will continue to operate in Norway (in theory at least).

Chase stopped doing refunds based on carrier insolvency, but Norwegian will likely not be, even though parts will be, so Norwegian as a company will still exist.

I literally have no idea how it will play out. It would be great if Norwegian would cancel the flights instead of me waiting, but I think they've been waiting it out to see if they could return to the air.

I haven't bothered to try either the airline or Chase. I think I have to wait it out
Yes, you are taking the right approach. Assuming you booked with the credit card and not with the points, you just initiate the charge back once flights are canceled and you duly contacted Norweigian on the refund.
If you booked that with UR pts, things become much harder for there is no dispute route to take, but wait for the airline to refund Chase Reward credit card (the payment card) before you would see the points back. In our case, Swiss Airlines would not refund (all airlines under LH groups would not refund and they are backed by the German government, despite that violates EU261 laws - which Germany wants the EU to bend the laws...) All Chase UR Travel could do was to send a request email to Swiss Airlines for refund request, almost a futile exercise to go thru.
In the current situation, DOT has stood at the passengers side hence all US airlines are now forced to issue refund instead of voucher, should the informed passenger demands so. On international airlines, this almost boils down to a loss one has to accept because of such unprecedented time.
Still, do try whatever efforts you are willing to put in, to pursuit for a refund once the flight is canceled. Good luck.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:50 am

Thanks for your thoughts. Fortunately (or unfortunately!), we booked with money, not UR points. So If in fact, Norwegian cancels the flights, but does not go bankrupt, then theoretically, Chase covers trip protection if Norwegian is unable to do the refund.... I think. The language is super murky on Chases website.

I guess we'll see in the next couple of weeks
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:55 am
mia

Originally Posted by wingnuthead
.... So If in fact, Norwegian cancels the flights, but does not go bankrupt, then theoretically, Chase covers trip protection if Norwegian is unable to do the refund......
Chase's Trip Cancellation benefit applies only if a trip is cancelled for one of the specific reasons listed in the terms. It does not cover flights cancelled by an airline which refuses to issue a refund. If that happens you need to dispute the credit card transaction, and file complaints with regulatory agencies who have the authority to order the airline to issue a refund.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by mia
Chase's Trip Cancellation benefit applies only if a trip is cancelled for one of the specific reasons listed in the terms. It does not cover flights cancelled by an airline which refuses to issue a refund. If that happens you need to dispute the credit card transaction, and file complaints with regulatory agencies who have the authority to order the airline to issue a refund.
Ah ok, that makes more sense. This whole situation is so nutty, not sure what will or won't work. Just hope I can recover my money, but not too hopeful
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:16 am
mia

Reportedly a dozen European governments are supporting the airlines' preference to issue vouchers rather than refunds:

12 EU countries have asked the European Commission to suspend a law requiring airlines to offer a full refund for any cancelled flight. They say that airlines should be allowed to give time-limited vouchers during the Coronavirus crisis instead, to prevent mass bankruptcies and incentivise people to fly again soon.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davekea.../#6aefebf7112f
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by mia
Reportedly a dozen European governments are supporting the airlines' preference to issue vouchers rather than refunds:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davekea.../#6aefebf7112f
Yeah, saw that. Its funny how the US is being more aggressive with this issue and pushing refunding consumer money than the EU is. Its usually exactly the opposite.

Supposedly, Norwegian is doing their last pitch to investors at a company meeting next week to try and keep the company alive. if that works, and the entity remains in existence, but all flights are cancelled, then possibly, maybe, Chase will come through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.